03. The Path I Choose
04. Before The Vision
05. Mystical End
06. Desert Rain
07. Pure Evil
08. Reaching The End
09. Travel In Stygian
10. Stormrider [live] [2008 reissue bonus]

So, the other day I went to this Mexican fast-food restaurant to eat some tacos. I had been there before but I would always order my food to go and got delicious tacos with a handful of potato chips every time. The tacos were some of the best I had ever eaten, and not just in relation to other tacos.

This time however, I had time and decided to eat inside instead. What I got was more tacos and more chips, but something about them was different; maybe it was that they didn't need to be packaged, or maybe it was the restaurant's atmosphere, I do not know. However, the meal tasted amazing. Not better, not worse, just different. It was a restaurant that worked both as a place to sit down and eat and one to get food to go. I instantly knew that this was the best taco place I had ever been.

What does this have to do with Iced Earth's 1992 masterpiece Night Of The Stormrider? Well, nothing really. Everything! Keep reading.

So one day I bought Night Of The Stormrider. I had listened to two or three songs before buying it, but never listened to the (concept) album from start to finish. The songs were some of the best I had ever heard, and not just within Iced Earth's discography. When I came home however, I had time and decided to listen to the complete CD. What I heard was incredible; the songs I had not heard before kicked ass, but the ones I knew, felt different within the context of the story. However, they were still awesome by themselves. Not better, not worse, just different.

It was one of those rare albums that worked both as a concept album and as individual songs (except the interludes, which, by the way, are my only complaints.) I instantly knew, of course, that I had encountered one of the best albums I had ever heard and to this day, Night Of The Stormrider is my favorite album.

Chances are you will enjoy it too.
(If you like tacos, that is.)

Written by Zap | 25.07.2014

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
Back in the early 90's, in 1992 to be precise. The American band Iced Earth released their first concept album entitled Night Of The Stormrider. Reactions were very positive because their sound was different from any other band in the metal scene. For numerous fans, the discovery of Iced Earth started with that dark epic album, mystic lyrics and gloomy cover art. Night Of The Stormrider followed 1990's self-titled debut album and was received with immediate success in Europe and at a degree lower in the States. Japan was charmed too, which in 1992, was less common than nowadays, and by the way, that record is still the most sold of all Iced Earth's albums in Japan. So, what do we have with the CD you ask? Well, let's see!

Read more ››
published 18.09.2003 | Comments (4)

Guest review by
DIE_by_my_HAND
Rating:
Thrash, heavy, power. Call it what you will, Night of the Stormrider takes you on a ride from start to finish with some of the fastest charging riffs in all of metal contrasted with its dark lyrics and mood. This second offering from Iced Earth is their first stab at making a concept album and it delivers the goods. The story, in the words of John Schaffer is about "a young man who is betrayed by Christianity... and is chosen to bring about Armageddon." He goes on to say you can figure it out for yourself if you read the lyrics, which are very dark and evil and perfectly express the story's sinister vibe. This feel is also perfectly executed by the instruments, especially guitar, of which the distortion almost personifies the Stormrider and his struggle. The drumming on the album is very well written, however, not as well played. The double bass is the area which could have used the most work because it is supposed to go along with the quick riffs, but only manages to follow them closely.

Read more ››
published 08.07.2006 | Comments (14)

Comments

Comments: 21   Visited by: 153 users
25.07.2014 - 18:36
Mattybu

Interesting review. Works better for someone who has heard the album already, as you didn't really go into describing the music at all, but a) there are already 2 other reviews and b) I've heard it aplenty so I get what you are saying. It is one of the true classics and for me, without a doubt the last truly great Iced Earth album.

Also, I can definitely agree with the sentiment that it is very nice when you can find either a very long or concept-y album that works for listening in short bursts or that you can sit down at home and really absorb completely in one sitting. I think Night of the Stormrider is a fairly no-nonsense album so that's why it works in that way.
25.07.2014 - 19:38
Rating: 8
quirin

I agree with your opinion.
While this review is not very informative, you're doing a good job at communicating your enthusiasm.
Half the total length dedicated to food, it feels like a lot though.
26.07.2014 - 00:10
Zap
Written by Mattybu on 25.07.2014 at 18:36

Interesting review. Works better for someone who has heard the album already, as you didn't really go into describing the music at all, but a) there are already 2 other reviews and b) I've heard it aplenty so I get what you are saying. It is one of the true classics and for me, without a doubt the last truly great Iced Earth album.

Also, I can definitely agree with the sentiment that it is very nice when you can find either a very long or concept-y album that works for listening in short bursts or that you can sit down at home and really absorb completely in one sitting. I think Night of the Stormrider is a fairly no-nonsense album so that's why it works in that way.
Written by quirin on 25.07.2014 at 19:38

I agree with your opinion.
While this review is not very informative, you're doing a good job at communicating your enthusiasm.
Half the total length dedicated to food, it feels like a lot though.

Since there already were two reviews I didn't want to go into detail and went for a more personal/tryingtobefunny approach. I just kind of came up with this while eating tacos and simply had to write it. And since the proofreader seemed to enjoy it I don't feel guilty about going extremely off-topic.
Thank you both for giving actual feedback though.
26.07.2014 - 00:15
Mattybu

Yeah, it's fun to read reviews like this every now and again.

I often feel a burning temptation in my loins to add another review for albums that already have one but the only time I've ever succumbed is for the glorious Vektor album.
26.07.2014 - 00:24
Zap
Written by Mattybu on 26.07.2014 at 00:15

Yeah, it's fun to read reviews like this every now and again.

I often feel a burning temptation in my loins to add another review for albums that already have one but the only time I've ever succumbed is for the glorious Vektor album.

Yeah, it's tempting sometimes, though I generally don't write a lot of reviews. This is the one that was most fun to do though. If I get another idea for a review (maybe a bit more on-topic) I'll probably end up writing it.
I didn't read your Vektor review (maybe I'll read it some day soon,) but I did enjoy the one with the space slugs (partly because it introduced me to Slugdge, awesome band)
26.07.2014 - 02:19
Mattybu

Written by Zap on 26.07.2014 at 00:24

I did enjoy the one with the space slugs (partly because it introduced me to Slugdge, awesome band)

26.07.2014 - 05:02
D.T. Metal

Written by Zap on 26.07.2014 at 00:10

Since there already were two reviews I didn't want to go into detail and went for a more personal/tryingtobefunny approach. I just kind of came up with this while eating tacos and simply had to write it. And since the proofreader seemed to enjoy it I don't feel guilty about going extremely off-topic.

yap, that's why I proofed it like this. We already have two awesome reviews on the album and this one just brought home the point that .... well, you have to like tacos
26.07.2014 - 05:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I have no comment on the band or album but I like these kinds of reviews. Metaphorical. Involving food. I think Doc Godin and/or BitterCOld wrote a review like this actually. One involved hamburgers, I know that much.

Or maybe that was me. Or maybe it was all of us. Who knows, or cares. The point is this review made me hungry and good on you for that.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.07.2014 - 12:33
Zap
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.07.2014 at 05:22

I like these kinds of reviews. Metaphorical. Involving food.

Especially the latter
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.07.2014 at 05:22

The point is this review made me hungry and good on you for that.

Glad I could get someone's mouth watering!
Written by D.T. Metal on 26.07.2014 at 05:02

yap, that's why I proofed it like this. We already have two awesome reviews on the album and this one just brought home the point that .... well, you have to like tacos

That was exactly the point I was trying to get across; sure, this album's pretty cool, but TACOS!
28.07.2014 - 02:56
Zap
Written by deadone on 28.07.2014 at 02:48

Great album indeed.

Review was both interesting and a bit wierd. Maybe a little too much emphasis on tacos and not enough on Iced Earth. Still concept was cool enough.

Yeah, I expected some people to say that. I actually wanted to repeat the word "taco" as much as possible just to make everyone go 'heh?'
However, as mentioned above, the album already has two reviews, so might as well try something different. At least you said it was interesting, so thanks!
28.07.2014 - 03:03
Zap
Written by deadone on 28.07.2014 at 02:59

And please don't view "a bit wierd" as critical either. "Bit wierd" is fine in my books.

Alright, that's my general philosophy as well, but thanks for the clarification.
28.07.2014 - 03:16
Rating: 8
TrollandDie

The weirdest/best review I've seen get published on the site.

Can we do a month dedicated to food/music hybrid reviews? I'm a bit drunk at the moment but sounds good in my head.
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
28.07.2014 - 03:26
Zap
Written by TrollandDie on 28.07.2014 at 03:16

The weirdest/best review I've seen get published on the site.

Can we do a month dedicated to food/music hybrid reviews? I'm a bit drunk at the moment but sounds good in my head.

Thanks!
And that sounds like a great idea. Maybe we should just do food reviews, fuck the music.
28.07.2014 - 11:50
Zap
Written by deadone on 28.07.2014 at 09:26

I'm fine with restuarant reviews too!

Hell yeah, Italian restaurants are way more metal than some Italian bands.
28.07.2014 - 11:53
Zap
Ugh... I started writing another review and before I knew it, the whole thing was another food metaphor.
Gonna rewrite it.
This is all very ironic if any of you knew how skinny I am
29.07.2014 - 11:34
Zap
Written by deadone on 29.07.2014 at 01:44

Has anything good metal-wise ever come out of Italy though? Wait...scratch the smilie, I'm serious!

Since you're serious:
I enjoyed some Graveworm albums, some Fleshgod Apocalypse and especially Progenie Terrestre Pura's debut. But that's everything I enjoy from this whole page:
http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/index.php?b_sortby=&b_where=p.country&b_what=Italy&page=1
29.07.2014 - 12:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

Has anything good metal-wise ever come out of Italy though? Wait...scratch the smilie, I'm serious!

Not a lot. Really mind boggling that with the amount of metal bands hailing from Italy they are by far the worst metal country in Europe when it comes to quality.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.07.2014 - 00:34
Lord_Regnier

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.07.2014 at 12:42

Not a lot. Really mind boggling that with the amount of metal bands hailing from Italy they are by far the worst metal country in Europe when it comes to quality.

My biggest problem with Italian Metal bands in general is how painfully generic they usually are.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
03.08.2014 - 00:11
Zap
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.07.2014 at 12:42

Do you happen to know if Argentina has more than one good band? Or that you consider good. Because that's another country where I think there's a lot of bands where most sound pretty shit. I only ever encountered Arraigo, who I think are quite decent.
Written by deadone on 30.07.2014 at 01:42

I really think that some cultures are not conducive to metal. France is/was another one - until Gojira I'd heard more Colombian and Venezuelan metal bands than French (remember I don't touch that dirty syringe called Black Metal).

France has some sweet black metal though
03.08.2014 - 01:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Zap on 03.08.2014 at 00:11

Do you happen to know if Argentina has more than one good band? Or that you consider good. Because that's another country where I think there's a lot of bands where most sound pretty shit. I only ever encountered Arraigo, who I think are quite decent.

I can only think of one and that is Fungoid Stream, a great and original funeral doom band.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.02.2016 - 22:22
Rating: 10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Sounds like beavis n butthead bought an album , and nachos ... I like such intro parts in a reviews
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 3425 | This month: 5