Release date: July 2014

01. Ascension Of The Scarlett Angel
02. Dead Soul Meditation
03. The Bitter Fruits Of Deceit
04. Omega Therion
05. Deathmagick
06. Evangelist Of The Fall - Death's Seed
07. Lost And Forgotten

Now, after 5 years, Stormnatt has released their third album since their beginnings back in 2000. Almost the same gap was already put between the first two albums and to be perfectly honest, maybe a couple of extra years wouldn't have hurt. Now, there are actually some positive factors and potential here, but after two albums you might expect a bit more.

What we're dealing with here is a meat and potatoes black metal album inspired by the second wave of the genre. The riffs tend to drift apart from the usual norm though as there are plenty of melodies and catchy leads/soloing. This almost gives a thrash and even a melodic death touch to the music. This is enhanced with the production that makes the riffs sound lighter and warmer than the usual harsh and frostbitten sound you'd expect.

The riffs are pretty solid overall but I feel that the ambience that tries to emanate from them gets spoiled fairly often by the vocals. The clearer production works with the riffs but also makes the vocals stand out more and they aren't exactly the most exciting thing about this album. They really lack in variation and since they are on top of everything, they end up getting in the way of enjoying the guitar work from time to time.

While the guitars shred, the drums follow without pain or glory. They just back up the riffs and go kind of unnoticed, but it's hard to criticize that since the tempo rarely changes. It almost feels like this was a good EP which was dragged out for too long. A feeling of déjà vu comes into play regularly, which is a shame for an album that is barely 40 minutes.

All in all Omega Therion is a fairly decent album worth a try or two but in the end it probably won't rank high under many personal lists for this year.

Stream the whole album here.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 7

Written on 25.07.2014 by A lazy reviewer but he is so cute you'd forgive him for it.

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 37 users
25.07.2014 - 21:21
Ilham
Giant robot
I have a feeling I already listened to an album by this same band. You actually never told me the name of the band before. I wouldn't be able to tell for sure if I did though. But if it isn't the case, reading this review killed the last chance of me doing so.

Hits total: 2392 | This month: 7