Metal Storm logo
Dir En Grey

28.07.2014 - 18:38
Ganondox
Surprised no threads have been made for this very unique band yet. I've listed them as avantgarde death because a lot of their more recent output has been death metal oriented, but that's only one extreme in their music, they've done everything from alternative rock to metalcore to progressive metal to nu metal and are really hard to classify other than being experimental and heavy. Kyo is also one of the most unique and versatile vocalists around, similar to Mike Patton in some ways. Despite their lyrics being in Japanese, causing the poetry to be lost to English audiences, they've gotten a large western following. This is probably in part due to their controversial music videos, the one for "Obscure" reaching infamy for it's gory, sexual, and outright bizarre content, which makes slightly more sense when you know the song is about abortion. It's a real shame, as the band is really good beyond it's videos.

Here is one of my favorite songs by the band:

And here is one of their heavier, death metal songs:

(Warning as that's probably the most NSFW music video I've ever seen, and I've seen "Forced Gender Reassignment")

And one of their lighter, alternative rock songs:
02.08.2014 - 02:06
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
This band is intriguing. But somehow never could fully get into them
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
05.12.2016 - 14:55
Kriegsmesser
Some friend gave a CD with couple of their songs waay back. It was interesting, but I did not really started looking into it.