01. Into The Abysmal Future
02. Become Joyless
03. Tilikum
04. Thickening Fog
05. Barren Grey
06. Devoid
07. State Of Constant Slumber
08. Morgued

Trudger; a name on its way to prominence in the sludge scene. This British band presents a new be-all and end-all for sludge metal, which is to progressively crush the listener into a fine paste with their hardcore assault and use said paste to paint a vision all their own. Trudger are artistes from the school of "hit 'em hard," closely affiliated with the school of "hit 'em where it hurts." Their creative debut, Dormiveglia demonstrates all that is fresh in the genre of sludge.

This is what Mastodon could be doing if they had made the decision to focus on sludge metal as a primary element of their style. Although Trudger move well beyond their Mastodon influence, as well as steering clear of generic sludge, to delve in a diverse new scope as the record pans out, the likes of which are rarely witnessed in what is usually a genre which favours straightforward aggression and impact over stylistic ingenuity. Trudger manage to sustain such an impact, their metal being dynamically driven by a strong hardcore element, and much of this record bears the usual crushing aspect in the delivery which is most obviously witnessed in the vocal arrangements and the thunderous trampling of the rhythm section.

Dormiveglia moves at an unstoppable rate of stylistic variation whilst maintaining the core driving essentials befitting any sludge outfit. It segues from unrestrained yet directed rage to gripping post-metal segments such as that of the one minute spanning "Tilikum" or the attention seizing quietness of the introduction to "State Of Constant Slumber." In this sense the divide between soft and loud may be minimally expressed on the former's part, but when utilised it is extremely effective and noticeable. They offer small windows in what is essentially a wall of technically honed sludge riffs and stylistic abrasiveness.

The tempo takes on many forms, from more closely Mastodon derived mid-tempo numbers such as "Become Joyless" and the volatile pace and tremolo lacing of "Thickening Fog," to the gradual and name suiting trudge of the aforementioned "State Of Constant Slumber" or closer "Morgued" which bring a traceable element of doom to the sludge based sound.

The band's aptitude for track distinction is made abundantly clear on this debut, with no single track following a similar course set by its predecessor. The only problem in the song writing lies in the track intra-variation; in other words, things get set into a repetitive riff basis within the context of each tune, which does somewhat shake the effectiveness of the listening experience, despite its generally varied nature.

The attempt at a more carefully and technically crafted sludge has its repercussions as much as its payoffs for their first full-length studio attempt. The flair is obvious, yet not as obvious as the undoubtable potential that Trudger have in tow.

Available for streaming and digital purchase via Bandcamp.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written on 01.08.2014 by R'Vannith enjoys music, he's hoping you do too.

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 104 users
01.08.2014 - 06:53
Rating: 8
Chobo_jokeR

Great review that accurately describes the album.

Just finished checking it out. Very good album with lots of variety and lots to like. Definitely get those Mastodon vibes at times, but they do well to create their own sound.
01.08.2014 - 16:41
catherinewrong

This is definitely "all that is fresh in sludge" and I love it. Atmospheric sludge?
01.08.2014 - 17:32
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Chobo_jokeR on 01.08.2014 at 06:53

Great review that accurately describes the album.

Just finished checking it out. Very good album with lots of variety and lots to like. Definitely get those Mastodon vibes at times, but they do well to create their own sound.

Thanks, it's an unusually varied piece and it sets itself apart from the regular kind of sludge quite easily I think.
01.08.2014 - 17:37
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by catherinewrong on 01.08.2014 at 16:41

Atmospheric sludge?

Yes, I think that's an accurate description in part. There seems to be something of a Neurosis influence to their sound, given the dominant elements of hardcore, and there are a few segments I'd describe as atmospheric and where the basis of the music is sludge metal.
01.08.2014 - 18:08
LiquidSmoke
Account deleted
Who would have known this band plays sludge with a cover art showing a buffalo climbing up a hill?
01.08.2014 - 18:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Stopped reading after the Mastodon comparison. Will definitely listen to this at some point.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.08.2014 - 18:48
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Guest on 01.08.2014 at 18:08

Who would have known this band plays sludge with a cover art showing a buffalo climbing up a hill?

Sludge does seem to have an affinity for large animals for some reason. Kongh comes to mind as another example.
01.08.2014 - 18:53
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.08.2014 at 18:19

Stopped reading after the Mastodon comparison. Will definitely listen to this at some point.

Given your liking of Mastodon, I think you'll find some interesting tunes here. Delves somewhat into post-metal as well, but still plenty of Mastodon-like moments to be had.
02.08.2014 - 04:55
catherinewrong

Written by R'Vannith on 01.08.2014 at 17:37

Written by catherinewrong on 01.08.2014 at 16:41

Atmospheric sludge?

Yes, I think that's an accurate description in part. There seems to be something of a Neurosis influence to their sound, given the dominant elements of hardcore, and there are a few segments I'd describe as atmospheric and where the basis of the music is sludge metal.

Have not heard them (still just starting to explore metal in general), but that description sounds great. I'll give them a listen soon. Any other recommendations?
02.08.2014 - 04:59
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by catherinewrong on 02.08.2014 at 04:55

Have not heard them (still just starting to explore metal in general), but that description sounds great. I'll give them a listen soon. Any other recommendations?

Listen to Through Silver In Blood, it's their best album imo.
On topic: I love this album. Glad to see they got thrown on MS
02.08.2014 - 05:01
catherinewrong

Written by Alex F on 02.08.2014 at 04:59

Listen to Through Silver In Blood, it's their best album imo.
On topic: I love this album. Glad to see they got thrown on MS

Thanks, babe.
02.08.2014 - 11:36
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
You know me...I am on this. Thanks for the review.
----
rekt
02.08.2014 - 18:38
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
The album art and the band name go too well together

But yeah, seriously good stuff. I'm sure this is gonna be one of my sludge favorites for this year after a few more spins.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
03.08.2014 - 05:03
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Auntie Sahar on 02.08.2014 at 18:38

But yeah, seriously good stuff. I'm sure this is gonna be one of my sludge favorites for this year after a few more spins.

They surely do

I get a faint sense of black metal about this record, probably brought about mostly by the tremolo bits. I'd wager that would've somewhat aided your impression of the album as well.
03.08.2014 - 05:13
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by R'Vannith on 03.08.2014 at 05:03

Written by Auntie Sahar on 02.08.2014 at 18:38

They surely do

I get a faint sense of black metal about this record, probably brought about mostly by the tremolo bits. I'd wager that would've somewhat aided your impression of the album as well.

Can't help but thinking of Frank Zappa's "trudging across the tundra, mile after mile," guess that shows you where my tastes are at, haha
And yeah, I was kind of feeling that BM influence as well. I'd refrain from calling it blackened sludge though.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
03.08.2014 - 05:20
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Auntie Sahar on 03.08.2014 at 05:13

Can't help but thinking of Frank Zappa's "trudging across the tundra, mile after mile," guess that shows you where my tastes are at, haha
And yeah, I was kind of feeling that BM influence as well. I'd refrain from calling it blackened sludge though.

I'd agree there, calling it "blackened" is a bit of stretch, seeing as it's only a minimal influence really.

Hits total: 3539 | This month: 10