02. Fireheart
03. Voyager
04. Into The Endless Abyss
05. In The Absence Of Existence
06. The World We Left Behind
07. Tear You Down
08. On The Other Side
09. Epitaph For A Dying Star

Blake Judd, love him or hate him, is now presenting us with the last chapter in the saga of Nachtmystium, one of the most important names in American black metal of the past decade, and a thirteen year trip through savage territories both familiar and unconventional. And what a fitting end piece it is.

The World We Left Behind can best be summed up as containing most of the elements that up until now have made Nachtmystium the project that it is. If you've been following along from the beginning (or at least since the pivotal Instinct: Decay) you'll know what to expect: the usual catchy, bouncy riffage, a pleasantly alternating tempo, and a very particular vocal delivery that comes across as harsh, yet discernible. Blake's vocals have always tended to be fairly understandable even without having lyrics right in front of you, and The World We Left Behind is no exception. Of all these factors, however, it's the catchiness that really sells this album, making it both fun and easy to bob your head to. Tracks like "Fireheart" and "On The Other Side" (especially with the solo in the latter) plod along more like some eccentric form of extreme rock than black metal, and whether this higher sense of accessibility is seen negatively or not, it definitely gets the job done.

In addition, fans of the more experimental side of Nachtmystium may be pleased as well by the slight presence of some Black Meddle-ish electronic elements sprinkled in throughout The World We Left Behind. Though not of prime importance, these little moments, like in the middle of "Fireheart" or on "Tear You Down," go a long way towards reminding the listener that Blake Judd still embraces this aspect of his project, even when serving it in smaller degrees, and they help to give the album the extra personality it needs to be engaging on a bit of a deeper level. The clean vocals on closer "Epitath For A Dying Star" work wonders as well, and if Nachtmystium ever needed a ballad (as if "Seasick" wasn't one already?), this track is it.

So what should we remember, looking back on the career that has been Nachtmystium's? Taking the internal controversies and accusations surrounding Blake Judd aside, we're still left with a band that's demonstrated a pretty respectable level of consistency across their discography, including two albums that immediately raised the bar for innovation within black metal, and were fundamental towards proving American bands still relevant and formidable in the international scene. The World We Left Behind is an appropriate end to this journey with its sense of blending the project's various sounds together, and will likely go down as an enjoyable last chapter in this part of black metal's history. Cheers, Mr. Judd. It's been great riding with you all this time.

Check out "Tear You Down" over here, and stay tuned for the full release in a few days!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 03.08.2014 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 33   Visited by: 310 users
03.08.2014 - 04:22
Rating: 7
Ilham
Giant robot
I was going to listen to it, positive review or not. At least I won't postpone it for too long after reading this.
03.08.2014 - 04:27
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Ilham on 03.08.2014 at 04:22

I was going to listen to it, positive review or not. At least I won't postpone it for too long after reading this.

God, I swear you have ESP or something, I was literally posting a reply to your comment on the news for the new track right when I got this notification on here
Anyway, you said you remember the band being crazier, which is true: the two Black Meddle albums (intentional reference to Pink Floyd's Meddle) are definitely the most psychedelic and out there. Like I said, some of that is present here, but not too much.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
03.08.2014 - 04:35
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Auntie Sahar on 03.08.2014 at 04:27
God, I swear you have ESP or something, I was literally posting a reply to your comment on the news for the new track right when I got this notification on here
Anyway, you said you remember the band being crazier, which is true: the two Black Meddle albums (intentional reference to Pink Floyd's Meddle) are definitely the most psychedelic and out there. Like I said, some of that is present here, but not too much.
Haha. FEAR ME.

Yeah that's what I said indeed, but that was just after listening to that track. Good to know about the presence of some cuckoo in the rest of the album. Also, I really haven't listened to Nachmystium in a while, but I don't remember them using a lot of clean vocals. It sounds a bit new. Am I wrong?
03.08.2014 - 05:03
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Ilham on 03.08.2014 at 04:35

I don't remember them using a lot of clean vocals. It sounds a bit new. Am I wrong?

I think so too, can't really remember them anywhere else, might have to go back and give the previous album a spin. I'm not even sure if the cleans are Blake or not, could be a guest for all I know.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
03.08.2014 - 05:10
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Open admission: I'm not familiar with this band in the slightest. Your words have me completely convinced that I need to remedy that, pronto.
03.08.2014 - 05:16
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by R'Vannith on 03.08.2014 at 05:10

Open admission: I'm not familiar with this band in the slightest. Your words have me completely convinced that I need to remedy that, pronto.

No shame there man! I'd recommend starting with Instinct: Decay and going forward from there, that's really the one album where the band sound began to mature the most into something a little more distinct and evolved. Or if you wanna go all out and see how the sound has really changed over time, then by all means go back to Reign Of The Malicious (the debut)!
----

~ II. VII
03.08.2014 - 05:18
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Very convincing review. Will definitely give this a spin sometime soon
03.08.2014 - 05:21
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Auntie Sahar on 03.08.2014 at 05:16

Written by R'Vannith on 03.08.2014 at 05:10

No shame there man! I'd recommend starting with Instinct: Decay and going forward from there, that's really the one album where the band sound began to mature the most into something a little more distinct and evolved. Or if you wanna go all out and see how the sound has really changed over time, then by all means go back to Reign Of The Malicious (the debut)!

I think I'll start with your Insinct: Decay recommendation, sounds promising. Thanks for the pointer!
03.08.2014 - 05:26
Lit.
Account deleted
I, too, shall give this a look, if just for the fact that this is the last thing to expect from this band.
03.08.2014 - 05:59
Czerny Reiter

Weak release, as was to be expected, following the departure of Sanford Parker and all the closure drama encroaching on this album.

Lacks teeth to be sure, the catchiness and melody simmer into mellowness when there's a lack of agressive moments to paint the contrast.

Gets a 6 from me. Being generous.
03.08.2014 - 06:16
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Czerny Reiter on 03.08.2014 at 05:59

Lacks teeth to be sure, the catchiness and melody simmer into mellowness when there's a lack of agressive moments to paint the contrast.

I really don't think it needs to be too aggressive though, I mean it's not as if there's any need to prove that the project can be, that's already been done. Honestly, for this album, Blake could really do whatever he wanted to with the band's sound, as there are few bases he hasn't touched upon with it already. And that's pretty much what happened here.
----

~ II. VII
03.08.2014 - 12:34
Rating: 9
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Halfway through the album and enjoying it so far.....
03.08.2014 - 22:31
JD
Account deleted
I'm here because I saw tits.
03.08.2014 - 22:51
Slayer666

That "Tear you Down" song is the tits. GET IT?!

But no, it actually isn't. I just don't like it as much as I thought I would, it's definitively missing something I can't put my finger on.

Also, the first comment on that YouTube video is Blake Judd verbally smokin' some dude named Jeremy Littleton. It's a funny rant, you should read it before the comment gets deleted.
03.08.2014 - 23:42
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Slayer666 on 03.08.2014 at 22:51

Also, the first comment on that YouTube video is Blake Judd verbally smokin' some dude named Jeremy Littleton. It's a funny rant, you should read it before the comment gets deleted.

Yeah, I didn't manage to catch it
But I did notice a lot of hate and vitriol in the comments section over all the stories of Blake ripping people off for drug money. I tend to take all that shit with a grain of salt, I'm sure there's truth to it, I mean just look at the Addicts album, but I'm sure people have stretched it a little bit as well. And wishing that the dude ODs is just way uncalled for.
----

~ II. VII
03.08.2014 - 23:52
Slayer666

Written by Auntie Sahar on 03.08.2014 at 23:42

But I did notice a lot of hate and vitriol in the comments section over all the stories of Blake ripping people off for drug money. I tend to take all that shit with a grain of salt, I'm sure there's truth to it, I mean just look at the Addicts album, but I'm sure people have stretched it a little bit as well. And wishing that the dude ODs is just way uncalled for.

I'm perfectly willing to believe almost everything said about him, actually. Heroin addicts are... rather uncompromising when it comes to feeding their addiction.
But I also like to believe he never screwed anyone over so much he deserves death. He's just a petty thief, after all. At least so far.
04.08.2014 - 16:21
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Slayer666 on 03.08.2014 at 23:52

I'm perfectly willing to believe almost everything said about him, actually. Heroin addicts are... rather uncompromising when it comes to feeding their addiction.
But I also like to believe he never screwed anyone over so much he deserves death. He's just a petty thief, after all. At least so far.

Yep, that's like the one drug that you should supposedly never try, not even once. The hateful comments towards Judd just make me roll my eyes because people act as if this is the first time an addict has gotten their hands dirty to fund their habit. Also, coming from a slight background of addiction myself, I tend to feel sympathy for the guy before anger.
----

~ II. VII
05.08.2014 - 01:15
tibosax

It seems that it's not their final album. Blake Judd said in an interview that he changed his mind about the band : http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/07/31/blake-judd-decided-end-nachtmystium/
Need to be confirmed though
07.08.2014 - 21:25
barnesy

I don't give a shit about what he's done outside the music- Nachtimystium fan here, I love the album.
08.08.2014 - 06:39
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by barnesy on 07.08.2014 at 21:25

I don't give a shit about what he's done outside the music

That's a pretty noble way of thinking, and I agree with it mostly, but musicians' personalities and life experiences can sometimes reflect a lot in their music. Look at Nachtmystium's Addicts album lol, what does that tell you? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it like it's a bad thing, and as I've already said, I don't really view Blake negatively for what he's done (rumors or not), but I think his background definitely reflects in Nachtmystium, and helps to define the band's identity in a way.
----

~ II. VII
08.08.2014 - 17:25
barnesy

Quote:
musicians' personalities and life experiences can sometimes reflect a lot in their music. Look at Nachtmystium's Addicts album lol, what does that tell you?

You're right here, I agree. I probably wouldn't be the guy's business partner or let him babysit my kids, and it is important to know what's in a musicians' music and what shapes it. I just won't tolerate judgements of shortcomings and mistakes to the degree they'd cause someone to wish death, for Godsakes, on a person. That's ridiculous. I truly love Nachtmystium and the music Blake creates, his morals and shit like that aren't for me to judge unless he's trying to stab me in the eyeball or something like that. I wish him well and happiness.
09.08.2014 - 00:45
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 03.08.2014 at 22:31

I'm here because I saw tits.

Understandable enough.

Anyway, will be giving this one a spin as well. I've been meaning to check out this band but still didn't do so.
09.08.2014 - 22:33
Ilham
Giant robot
Finally listened to it. I was surprised by "Fireheart". I think the most experimental songs from the Black Meddle albums are the ones that left the longer-lasting impression. I should revisit other albums, I like this catchy side I totally forgot Nachtmystium had. Very enjoyable.
Edit: I forgot to say I loved "On The Other Side". That song sounds like... blackened post-punk. But with a solo.
10.08.2014 - 01:41
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Ilham on 09.08.2014 at 22:33

Finally listened to it. I was surprised by "Fireheart". I think the most experimental songs from the Black Meddle albums are the ones that left the longer-lasting impression. I should revisit other albums, I like this catchy side I totally forgot Nachtmystium had. Very enjoyable.
Edit: I forgot to say I loved "On The Other Side". That song sounds like... blackened post-punk. But with a solo.

It's great stuff indeed. I remember reading Doc's review of Black Meddle: Addicts around when it came out and he called it "black metal you can dance to." Originally that description totally put me off, but I decided to give it a peek and I've been enjoying it ever since.
----

~ II. VII
10.08.2014 - 01:44
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Erik M. on 09.08.2014 at 00:45

Will be giving this one a spin as well. I've been meaning to check out this band but still didn't do so.

Not sure if you're looking to get into the band or just this album in particular, but if it's the former, like I told Alex: start with Instinct: Decay, and work your way from there. Or go all the way back to Reign Of The Malicious, if you're feeling bold
----

~ II. VII
10.08.2014 - 18:35
Erik M.

Written by Auntie Sahar on 10.08.2014 at 01:44

Not sure if you're looking to get into the band or just this album in particular, but if it's the former, like I told Alex: start with Instinct: Decay, and work your way from there. Or go all the way back to Reign Of The Malicious, if you're feeling bold

Okay, in that case I'll start off with Instinct: Decay then.
10.08.2014 - 21:18
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Erik M. on 10.08.2014 at 18:35

Okay, in that case I'll start off with Instinct: Decay then.

that one is my favorite. at least of their later period, didn't bother with them before I:D. it's trippy but still pretty harsh, less streamlined than their last couple.

good review, will check this out as well.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.09.2014 - 13:12
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
I love this album. Yeah, as BitterCOld said, its more streamlined now, but I think I prefer Nachtmystium that way.

For me, it sounds like this album would make more sense coming out between Addicts and Silencing Machine, it feels like it bridges the gap between the two. That being said, it's also the most melodic of their career I find, for good or bad.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
04.09.2014 - 23:26
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Doc G. on 04.09.2014 at 13:12

For me, it sounds like this album would make more sense coming out between Addicts and Silencing Machine, it feels like it bridges the gap between the two.

Yeah, I can see why you'd say that, it does indeed bear more of a resemblance to Addicts I think, not as harsh and mechanical sounding as Silencing Machine. Nonetheless, I do think it's quite fitting as the band's final album because it doesn't really seem to be too overly similar to any of the band's other albums. It's kind of like a montage of them, like Judd's saying "here's a bit of everything I've done up to this point."
----

~ II. VII
04.09.2014 - 23:29
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Auntie Sahar on 04.09.2014 at 23:26

Written by Doc G. on 04.09.2014 at 13:12

For me, it sounds like this album would make more sense coming out between Addicts and Silencing Machine, it feels like it bridges the gap between the two.

Yeah, I can see why you'd say that, it does indeed bear more of a resemblance to Addicts I think, not as harsh and mechanical sounding as Silencing Machine. Nonetheless, I do think it's quite fitting as the band's final album because it doesn't really seem to be too overly similar to any of the band's other albums. It's kind of like a montage of them, like Judd's saying "here's a bit of everything I've done up to this point."

Rumor has it that Judd has decided to keep Nachtmystium around. I'm curious if this is further in the direction the band will be going if there is to be more material in the future...
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin

Hits total: 8332 | This month: 19