03. R.I.B. (Rest In Beer)
04. Riders Of The Doom
05. Hope Can't Die
06. No One Hit Wonder
07. Breakfast For Champions
08. Enemy Of Order
09. Clockwise To Deadline
10. The Party Ain't Over 'Til We Say So

Well...It's time to party. I guess. Tankard - when at their best - should inspire you to drink a lot and destroy someone's property. Destruction and violence delivered in a cheeky, endearing way is what Tankard is usually about...Usually. This party is about as wild as a Kelly Clarkson music video.

R.I.B.? I sure hope that's not some kind of swansong title, because this would be an incredibly sad way to bring an end to Tankard. It's a tired, frustratingly repetitive, going-through-the-motions, contractual obligation type of album. There's nothing drastically different from the regular Tankard brew here; charging riffs, lyrically satirical themes delivered by the rambunctious voice of Gerre, and a few uber-melodic guitarmonies splashed here and there. This album just continuously feels lackadaisical, put together by a band who sound completely uninterested in what they're creating.

Is it awful? No. In fact, R.I.B. shows signs of being resuscitated multiple times throughout the album. "Riders Of The Doom" and "Enemy Of Order" both jump back into the spastic, catchy, fun German thrash we've all come to adore...Then, sigh, it's back to more songs drawn out in painful repetition, Gerre sounding a bit apathetic, while the riffs, hooks, and chorus' go back to being flat-out unremarkable.

Every party hits that stage, usually at around 3:24AM, where there's only a few stragglers left; too tired and drunk to stumble home, left sitting on the couch staring at their feet. Every once in a while someone cracks a beer and a joke to get some life in the room again, to no avail. It happened to Municipal Waste, and it's happening to Tankard with R.I.B..

"Party Ain't Over 'Til We Say So"? I Think it's about time for last call, Tankard.

Written on 06.08.2014 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 137 users
06.08.2014 - 13:48
Lit.
Account deleted
Quote:

Every party hits that stage, usually at around 3:24AM, where there's only a few stragglers left; too tired and drunk to stumble home, left sitting on the couch staring at their feet. Every once in a while someone cracks a beer and a joke to get some life in the room again, to no avail. It happened to Municipal Waste, and it's happening to Tankard with R.I.B.

I'd say that happened a long time ago with Tankard, starting after maybe The Morning After or even Stone-Cold Sober if you're feeling generous.

I can also say with unabated certainty that I would take MW over Tankard any day.
06.08.2014 - 14:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 06.08.2014 at 13:48

I'd say that happened a long time ago with Tankard, starting after maybe The Morning After or even Stone-Cold Sober if you're feeling generous.

You're being very generous yourself, good sir. I'd say that it happened after Chemical Invasion.

Quote:

I can also say with unabated certainty that I would take MW over Tankard any day.

Certainly would take MW over Tankard any day, as well.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.08.2014 - 18:02
Joppe
Steelemeister
Not their best, not their worst but definitely better than an average Tankard album.
----
My vision is augmented
06.08.2014 - 19:07
Rating: 5
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 06.08.2014 at 13:48

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.08.2014 at 14:21

You're being very generous yourself, good sir. I'd say that it happened after Chemical Invasion.

Well, I did thoroughly enjoy Beast Of Bourbon and Beauty And The Beer. Even with their other stuff I've heard, even if it wasn't very good, at least came across as a little more energetic than this.

As for MW, Fatal Feast wasn't bad, but they definitely hit a wall with Massive Aggressive and really haven't been nearly as good since. I think it's going to be a patchwork of "bad" and "just ok" albums from them here on out.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
06.08.2014 - 19:55
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Funny, the best shit Tankard ever released in their entire career was after The Chemical Invasion and surely after The Meaning Of Life. Beast of Bourbon and The Beauty And The Beer, despie their terribly cliched titles, were thrash metal anthemic works. I think some people here are just too hateful towards this band for their tongue-in-cheek approach on most of their works.

Shit started to go down ever since Thirst. And seriously, The Morning After is 10 times better than The Chemical Invasion.

Municipal 'Waster' over Tankard? With their latest offerings they hit the same low as much as Tankard, and their previous ones are far behind the 2004-2006 Tankard material. Tankard for me any day.

Hits total: 4323 | This month: 7