Album: The Conjuring
Style: Psychedelic doom metal, Stoner rock
Release date: June 2014

01. The Conjuring
02. Read The Omens
03. Pale Rider From The Ice
04. Beggar's Bargain
05. Dreamwalker

So yeah man, there's like, this band called Wo Fat, and they've been playing some heavy grooves for a good time now dude.

The Americans in Wo Fat play psychedelic stoner metal at some of its absolute best. Their fifth album, The Conjuring, sees them utilizing more or less the same formula as before, but don't let that repetition fool you, because this is definitely an "if it aint broke, don't fix it" type of deal. With Wo Fat, crunchy, pulsing riffage flies around you in all directions: catchy, fun, and head bob-inducing (such as on "Read The Omens"). The vocals of Kent Stump, especially, bring to mind some thoughts of early Electric Wizard, and definitely have a "classic" stoner sound to them.

Of course, what really makes Wo Fat the potent trio they are though lies in their delicate attention to pouring some tasty psychedelia into their mix. Whether it's the Monster Magnet-like spacey effects or the minimalist style of the guitar leads that borrows heavily from classic acid rock (see the ones towards the end of "Dreamwalker" in particular), this side of Wo Fat's personality really helps to add another dimension to the music of The Conjuring, making it much more than just your typical stoner jam. The production during such moments is spot on as well, oozing with a ton of fuzz and other layering effects to help to nail that free-flowing, atmospheric sound.

Wo Fat have demonstrated time and again their ability to weave catchy grooves with some more dreamy undertones, and The Conjuring is certainly no exception. Hearing this album reminds me in some ways of the Domovoyd debut last year. That is, it's stoner metal, but laced with a good degree of some trippier elements, that call back to the early days of L.A., the Summer Of Love, and some of the very origins that inspired this sort of music in the first place, helping to give the album a very timeless feel. Being a huge fan of classic acid rock, it's great to know that more modern stoner bands are starting to incorporate some of its legacies into their sounds, and Wo Fat are an excellent example. Definitely has my vote thus far for stoner AOTY.

Turn it on, tune it in, drop it out.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 10

Written on 07.08.2014 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 45   Visited by: 303 users
08.08.2014 - 23:55
Rating: 6
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Erik M. on 08.08.2014 at 23:46
Oh don't get me wrong. I think Che definitely tries to be accurate, or is accurate, with his ratings. It's just that I've heard him mention a couple of times that he ended up disagreeing with his own ratings. Then again, more reviewers tend to do that, so it's not that strange. For me a 9 equals excellent, btw. I'd say the review and rating are important. I tend to dislike reviews without ratings because I value ratings in general. The genre is also a huge factor for me when it comes to checking out new music.
I didn't get you wrong, don't worry. There is a saying in French that goes like "only fools don't change their minds". I give Che the right to change his, and always take reviews in general with a pinch of salt .
09.08.2014 - 00:05
Erik M.

Written by Ilham on 08.08.2014 at 23:55

I didn't get you wrong, don't worry. There is a saying in French that goes like "only fools don't change their minds". I give Che the right to change his, and always take reviews in general with a pinch of salt .

Ah I see. Well, I don't take reviews very seriously anyway. Most of the time they're simply helpful in getting to discover new music. Admittedly, I often don't even read them, hence why the score is important to me. But yeah, I often find myself changing my opinion on albums I listen to as well. Nothing strange about that. In fact, the opposite would be weirder.
09.08.2014 - 00:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Erik M. on 09.08.2014 at 00:05
Admittedly, I often don't even read them, hence why the score is important to me.

Just what every reviewer wants to hear!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.08.2014 - 00:13
Erik M.

Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.08.2014 at 00:08

Just what every reviewer wants to hear!

I know it's a shitty thing to say, but it's the truth. Well, let's just say that most of the time I don't read the reviews that I encounter. That sounds better... right?

Only when a certain album interests me a lot, I read it. For example, I read the latest Empyrium review because of this. In other cases, when I don't know the album, the score is enough for me.
09.08.2014 - 01:34
Ilham
Giant robot
Poor Che must be sick of getting notifications for this, but this time it's for a good cause. I listened to the album, and it's as enjoyable as the psyche rock albums on vinyl my mum used to listen to. I like the fact it's a lot shorter than what I expected. It's certainly a good release, there's great musicianship at work in there, but it really lacks that originality factor that would make me come back to it.
09.08.2014 - 03:28
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Ilham on 09.08.2014 at 01:34

Poor Che must be sick of getting notifications for this, but this time it's for a good cause. I listened to the album, and it's as enjoyable as the psyche rock albums on vinyl my mum used to listen to. I like the fact it's a lot shorter than what I expected. It's certainly a good release, there's great musicianship at work in there, but it really lacks that originality factor that would make me come back to it.

The more the merrier
Yeah, it's not really that original, but in a way I don't think it needs to be. I wouldn't really call stoner metal a style inclined much towards originality in the first place, and at least Wo Fat can employ a more conventional sound without totally sucking at it. But if you do want some (kinda) orignal stoner, check out that Domovoyd debut I mentioned here, if you haven't already.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
09.08.2014 - 03:39
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Erik M. on 08.08.2014 at 22:49

No offence to Che, but sometimes he ends up disagreeing with his own review scores. Like in case of the most recent Summoning and The Ruins of Beverast. My point is that this 9.0 score might very well drop to an 8.0 at a certain point.

Yeah dude, sometimes things just strike me as less impressive than at first after I've gone a good while listening to them. But not that often. With this album, I do think I'll retain my opinion that it's worth a solid 9. Groovy as fuck, and those psychedelic vibes just go so hard. Might not be too high on the originality factor, but these guys no what they're doing and they do it damn well. I will admit that there may be a slight degree of bias on my part though, because as I said, I love classic acid rock, and this album's just dripping with its influence.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
09.08.2014 - 03:40
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Auntie Sahar on 09.08.2014 at 03:28
Yeah, it's not really that original, but in a way I don't think it needs to be. I wouldn't really call stoner metal a style inclined much towards originality in the first place, and at least Wo Fat can employ a more conventional sound without totally sucking at it. But if you do want some (kinda) orignal stoner, check out that Domovoyd debut I mentioned here, if you haven't already.
Of course, I wasn't expecting anything new, especially after listening to the debut and after reading the review. But, you know. I'm sure you understand what I meant. Will check that Freakazoid album.
09.08.2014 - 09:28
Rating: 8
Crème fraiche

Im loving the new stoner shit coming out.
09.08.2014 - 17:35
Erik M.

Written by Auntie Sahar on 09.08.2014 at 03:39

Yeah dude, sometimes things just strike me as less impressive than at first after I've gone a good while listening to them. But not that often. With this album, I do think I'll retain my opinion that it's worth a solid 9. Groovy as fuck, and those psychedelic vibes just go so hard. Might not be too high on the originality factor, but these guys no what they're doing and they do it damn well. I will admit that there may be a slight degree of bias on my part though, because as I said, I love classic acid rock, and this album's just dripping with its influence.

Well, it's your review, which means it's subjective. So if you're biased it's justified, right? Seeing as you have a decent idea of my taste, would you say I'll like this? Because I have doubt as to whether I'll like it or not.
09.08.2014 - 18:06
Rating: 8
Crème fraiche

Written by Erik M. on 09.08.2014 at 17:35

Written by Auntie Sahar on 09.08.2014 at 03:39

Well, it's your review, which means it's subjective. So if you're biased it's justified, right? Seeing as you have a decent idea of my taste, would you say I'll like this? Because I have doubt as to whether I'll like it or not.

Just go over to their soundcloud page and give it a listen for yourself
09.08.2014 - 18:10
Erik M.

Written by Crème fraiche on 09.08.2014 at 18:06

Just go over to their soundcloud page and give it a listen for yourself

Fair enough. I might as well check out one song to see what I think of it.
09.08.2014 - 18:23
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Erik M. on 09.08.2014 at 17:35

Seeing as you have a decent idea of my taste, would you say I'll like this? Because I have doubt as to whether I'll like it or not.

Well it's definitely not "atmospheric," at least not in the way you'd probably prefer. If you enjoyed the Altar Of Betelgeuze debut, you should probably give this a shot. I mean, Wo Fat sound nothing like them, honestly, but similar recipe for good groove and heavy riffs, probably more so actually. And you know I always like to provide my readers a link to the full album when I can, so the Bandcamp's right there for you
Give the opener a spin, pretty good summatin of what the album's all about.
----

~ II. VII
09.08.2014 - 18:26
Erik M.

Written by Auntie Sahar on 09.08.2014 at 18:23

Well it's definitely not "atmospheric," at least not in the way you'd probably prefer. If you enjoyed the Altar Of Betelgeuze debut, you should probably give this a shot. I mean, Wo Fat sound nothing like them, honestly, but similar recipe for good groove and heavy riffs, probably more so actually.

Actually I've spun that Altar of Betelgeuze album a few days ago and I liked it a lot less than the first time. Mainly the clean vocals (which are annoying) and the less heavy parts are what I like less about it. In any case, I'll check out a song or two from this one to find out if I might like it.
15.08.2014 - 19:09
LiquidSmoke
Account deleted
That riff at the beginning of Read The Omens is a fucking groove train I have to say. I also have to say that I'm enjoying this album more than when it first came out.

Hits total: 6587 | This month: 13