03. For Uir
04. Brahan
05. -
06. I Shall Build Mountains
07. Sanctuary

Staff review by
tea[m]ster
Rating:
Scottish band Falloch have finally released their sophomore album, three years after their highly decorated debut Where Distant Spirits Remain. Main song writer and vocalist Andy Marshall left the band during this period, the void filled with a trio of capable musicians and a new sound. A straight-forward and desensitized atmospheric approach takes the place of most of the "gazy" and folk metal elements. I love the band's new direction and This Island, Our Funeral is an impressive piece of music that will hold its own against the Dustwalker's and The Serpent & the Sphere's of the genre.

Read more ››
published 24.10.2014 | Comments (3)

Found in 7 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 25   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 221 users
07.08.2014 - 18:24
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Cool, kinda looking forward to listen to it!
23.09.2014 - 00:13
Rating: 9
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
This sounds pretty good, shits right up my alley. I will have to listen to their debut again so I can compare.
----
rekt
23.09.2014 - 00:17
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Woah wtf, I had no idea this was out. Checking A$AP.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
23.09.2014 - 00:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
If I remember this band right this album will sound limper than a tranny's handshake.
23.09.2014 - 00:23
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Guest on 23.09.2014 at 00:20

If I remember this band right this album will limper than a tranny's handshake.

not your type of shit Joe, that's for sure.
----
rekt
23.09.2014 - 00:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by tea[m]ster on 23.09.2014 at 00:23

I actually just realised I was thinking Old Silver Key for some reason. I can't actually remember what this sounds like haha.
23.09.2014 - 00:25
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Boxcar Willy on 23.09.2014 at 00:17

Woah wtf, I had no idea this was out. Checking A$AP.

not much "gaze" in this. so far anyways....I am on track 4...
----
rekt
23.09.2014 - 00:27
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 23.09.2014 at 00:25

Written by tea[m]ster on 23.09.2014 at 00:23

I actually just realised I was thinking Old Silver Key for some reason. I can't actually remember what this sounds like haha.

You still won't like this much. It'll be better than OSK for sure though. That album was pretty damn bad.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
23.09.2014 - 16:17
Rating: 6
Neshat

I like their previous release , nice blend of folk metal and post rock but in this release post rock gone and only some average folk metal remain also vocal is annoying (same problem with previous release) it would be lot better that they remove the vocal or use it less. the only song that i like was track 4
25.09.2014 - 22:54
Rating: 6
Doge of Venice

So the new vocalist sounds like the old vocalist. It must be a stylistic choice by the band to have those kind of "little boy" vocals. I dunno, they don't really work for me. Musically seems interesting. A little slower than the last. I think Marshall took the folk elements with him when he left.
25.09.2014 - 23:46
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Wow, this is getting a lot of hatred. Personally, I love it. It's a great mixture of genres - yes even with the removal of the "gaze" elements.
----
rekt
06.10.2014 - 17:24
DerTeesi

Written by tea[m]ster on 25.09.2014 at 23:46

Wow, this is getting a lot of hatred. Personally, I love it. It's a great mixture of genres - yes even with the removal of the "gaze" elements.

+1

I really like it. Saw them live for 2 days and it was just amazing. I even like the new singer over the old one. Though i understand that somebody doesn't like him.
07.10.2014 - 07:43
Rating: 3
Rsrdaman

So this is what you get when you mix a band like Agalloch and a generic teenage girl band together.

Severely disappointed. Very watered down radio music, devoid of originality. Was really hoping this would be good, considering folk metal is a favorite of mine.
07.10.2014 - 18:46
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Rsrdaman on 07.10.2014 at 07:43

Severely disappointed. Very watered down radio music, devoid of originality. Was really hoping this would be good, considering folk metal is a favorite of mine.

No more folk metal. I believe you were led on. Gone also are the -gazy elements. Have you tried their debut? I think you will like that one more.
----
rekt
07.10.2014 - 19:24
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I liked it.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
12.10.2014 - 03:17
Rating: 3
Rsrdaman

Written by tea[m]ster on 07.10.2014 at 18:46

Written by Rsrdaman on 07.10.2014 at 07:43

No more folk metal. I believe you were led on. Gone also are the -gazy elements. Have you tried their debut? I think you will like that one more.

Eh, debut is better, only slightly. Just really don't like their choice of vocalists much. And it's not that I dislike cleans, oh no, I love bands like Alcest to death.
15.10.2014 - 19:42
Feng

Having quite enjoyed their debut, I decided it was finally time to check out this new release. Listening to it now, and I have to say I'm really quite disappointed. Nothing has grabbed me at all, and the songwriting / vocals all just seem to blend together in a bit of a mess.

Will definitely give it some more spins, but my first impression is that the songwriting has gone to shit. Sad times.
01.11.2014 - 15:13
Rating: 8
hadriel

Hmmm. I actually quite like this album. Debut was stronger, but I thought this was still pretty damn good.
01.11.2014 - 16:25
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by hadriel on 01.11.2014 at 15:13

Hmmm. I actually quite like this album. Debut was stronger, but I thought this was still pretty damn good.

Yea its Hadriel! I don't see you much anymore. As far as this album is concerned, I like it more than their debut. The vocals, production and structures are a tremendous improvement. I still do like Where Distant Spirits Remain, if I am in a fluffy, shoegazy, kind of mood.
----
rekt
10.12.2014 - 07:08
Rating: 8
hadriel

Written by tea[m]ster on 01.11.2014 at 16:25

Written by hadriel on 01.11.2014 at 15:13

Yea its Hadriel! I don't see you much anymore. As far as this album is concerned, I like it more than their debut. The vocals, production and structures are a tremendous improvement. I still do like Where Distant Spirits Remain, if I am in a fluffy, shoegazy, kind of mood.

Life's been kicking my ass recently, but in a good way! I've only spun this a few times so far, but on subsequent listens it has grown on me more already. Finding it harder to compare to the debut just because its so much different; I'm torn on which one I prefer now.
11.12.2014 - 03:31
Feng

Having given it some time, I still find myself really unimpressed by the album. The songwriting doesn't engage me at all - perhaps the album wasn't as shocking as I thought it was on first listen, and perhaps by overemphasising the excellence of the debut I destined this release for comparative paleness, but still, I just can't find any reason why I'd want to return to this. I still sometimes throw on the debut, the songs draw me in and hook my attention, yet on this release I always find myself yearning for more, something to grab me which never does.

Its probably not shit, and as much as it pains me to give out a low rating to it, I'm going to based on my personal experience. I feel there is locked potential in the band at this moment in time, however I can't help but correlate this with the loss of Andy (I read somewhere he was the primary songwriter, that'd explain the change).
29.12.2014 - 00:19
Erik M.

Written by tea[m]ster on 07.10.2014 at 18:46

What's the genre of this album, then? I might check it out, but I'm surprised at the negative comments/ratings.
29.12.2014 - 19:19
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 29.12.2014 at 00:55

Run of the mill post. Unnecessary stretched out vocals a lot of the time. An attempt this time to create a island tribe/survival like setting? Gets tedious really quickly. The drums are way too heavy . It's good in the way that a fast food cheesecake is good. If its the first cheesecake you've had you'll probably like it. But then you have a posh cheesecake from the fancy 5 star restaurant downtown and once you try that you'll realise how rudimentary the first one is.

Alrighty then... well, I guess I might check out a few songs at the very least.
27.01.2015 - 02:33
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Erik M. on 29.12.2014 at 00:19

What's the genre of this album, then? I might check it out, but I'm surprised at the negative comments/ratings.

If you like Agalloch and Fen you will like this. It's post black with a shade of prog. Not much folk anymore, and no gaze. I fucking love this album.
----
rekt
11.07.2015 - 02:34
Rating: 7
Czerny Reiter

What clinched it for me was the heavy bass, fuzz-driven quality of the music. Don't know too many albums that do that with this one's efficacy. The delivery comes in a plodding midpace fitful of the Post genre. Vocals are an acquired taste, to be sure, but I find that they complement the sound and are at least a respite from the more standard fare.

Hits total: 4936 | This month: 6