02. Black Rock'n'Roll
03. Satanic Royalty
04. All Hail Hell
05. Violence On Violence
06. I Am Violator
07. Holocaustic Deafening
08. Endless Slut
09. ...On The Wings Of Satan

Midnight seems to take everything that's off-putting about metal to those who think metal's too silly, amplifies it, and then laughs spitefully while going their merry Motör-way. There's not much more anyone could ask from them; there aren't many groups that can juggle being so preternaturally inane and yet rip so goddamn seriously.

As some dude over at Invisible Oranges put it, they're one of metal's "lords of nonsense." They relished relentless, merciless, sleazy absurdness on their previous full-length, and they're still at it; from the lady deep-throating a chain on the cover, to the tracks about crucifying aggressively and leather that prowls and trying suicide, not to mention the album's name, it's like every idiotic but cool sounding heavy metal thing got hammered into a delicious, misogynistic, evil knife here.

They're funny, in other words, but they're not a joke band. It's all way over-the-top, but so is a lot of metal, and when compared to the countless other groups spouting cliché dark, twisted bullshit and the number of groups who do so facetiously, what makes Midnight amusing almost seems subtle. I don't even know if they were trying to be funny for this, but the fact that it was crafted so we're not sure just makes it funnier.

All that's secondary to the shredding on this though. Midnight plays black/speed metal, constantly making headbanged-nods to Motörhead and Venom. It's old-style, sped-up and pissed off, slightly out of tune sounding, cutthroat rock 'n' roll. It's made to crank while riding a motorcycle and/or getting drunk, late-70s, early-80s, leather-jacket and a chained-wallet with a photo of a young Nina Hartley in its style. If you listened to Satanic Royalty, you'll know what to expect from this. Just expect it to have a slightly richer, more bass-heavy and less clanky mix.

Deciding on what to play while drinking can be tricky sometimes but, along with that new Studfaust album Doc just reviewed, this should make your party soundtrack for the coming days easy to put together.

Written on 12.08.2014 by Wormdrink's real name is George and he's an American.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 97 users
13.08.2014 - 04:52
The Benighted

Really enjoyed Satanic Royalty, and I hear this is essentially the same, so I can't imagine I wouldn't love this.
----
Learn to adapt to the change, or get washed away like tears in the rain.
13.08.2014 - 07:18
Malignar

I'm trying to like this but there is literally as many riffs on this as there are songs. I don't think I heard a black riff on here, no idea how this would be classified black anything. I heard almost no tempo changes throughout each song. I guess I just don't understand this MH inspired stuff as I don't understand their appeal.
13.08.2014 - 13:43
Rating: 6
raveneffect

Written by deadone on 13.08.2014 at 07:38

I am curious though I hope it's not just third rate Motorhead knock off like Chrome Division. Why listen to them when I can just crank some classic Motorhead?

Why listen to any Doom band when you could be listening to Sabbath or Electric Wizard?

Kind of a dull theory you got there
13.08.2014 - 13:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Midnight are certainly black/speed. Really enjoyed Satanic Royalty and what I have heard of this one up to now I also enjoy. No matter how crap you're feeeling Midnight always manages to put a smile on your face.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.08.2014 - 15:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yeah because you're all about the original and avant-garde bands aren't you
13.08.2014 - 15:32
Rating: 6
raveneffect

Theres no reason to consider them a clone or rehash
13.08.2014 - 15:43
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 13.08.2014 at 15:30

Yeah because you're all about the original and avant-garde bands aren't you

OH SNAP!

I didn't know Midnight had a new album out, need to check it A$AP.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 3373 | This month: 14