01. Chant Of Shadows
02. Morbid Glory
03. The Black Baroness
04. Our Cult Continues!
05. Sighisoaran
06. Walvater Unveiled
07. The Lover´s Crypt
08. Fallout Ritualist

I'm not going to lie, I've spent tens of minutes staring at that cover artwork, trying to decipher what in the hell is going on there. Unfortunately for Cardinals Folly, the cover artwork is more captivating, and leaves a longer lasting impression than the music.

That's definitely a pretty harsh way of opening the review, as Our Cult Continues! isn't bad. Not bad at all. It's like those little scotch mints every old person has in their house; you'll eat them if they're there, and enjoy every minute of it, but you won't be making any frantic midnight trips to the convenience store to pick up a bag. It's pretty standard doom metal. The general picture is to take the melancholic vocal delivery found in some My Dying Bride work, played with a sludgy Reverend Bizarre appeal...less the grandiose leads and memorable hooks in the riff work.

Pick a track, any track on the album. If you like doom, chances are you'll be pleased with what you hear. Listening to this album in its entirety is a pretty big drag, though. By the end of the second track, you know exactly what Cardinals Folly's game is, and unlike Reverend Bizarre, the amount of truly memorable riffs seem to decrease the deeper you get. "The Lover's Crypt" has a pretty dope groove to it, and the main lick for the title track might cause a little bit of doom-salivation, but still the overall impression remains a little dry. At no point in the remaining thirty-plus minutes are you going to sit up and say "holy shit."

Our Cult Continues! is not a regretful listen, but unless you're a die-hard doom fanatic who can pick out non-existent subtleties in particular doom bands, this one just sort of blends in with the many other bedroom doom albums out there.

Written on 14.08.2014 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 76 users
15.08.2014 - 02:24
Mattybu

Lol, I knew exactly where that last link was going before clicking on it. Nice review man.
15.08.2014 - 02:45
Ilham
Giant robot
It's a female fire-eater and a bunch of minstrels entertaining a goat cardinal. But the goat doesn't seem to like it, and looks like he's disappointed in those people. Scene from everyday life.
15.08.2014 - 03:45
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Ilham on 15.08.2014 at 02:45

Scene from everyday life.

Yup, especially that three-eyed octopus.
15.08.2014 - 12:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Extremely average band who try to sound like Reverend Bizarre but fail dismally at it and the vocals are extremely grating and weak.
Btw the only band member who plays on this album and the previous e.p.'s and full-length is the vocalist/bass player.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.08.2014 - 09:08
mt_diablo

Yes, absolutely. the drudkh/primordial-feeling guitars in few tracks definitely prove they try to sound like rev.biz... rev. biz. always did that kinda stuff with these tempoes... absolutely... LOL.... get real. this album is perhaps too long, but it sure as hell stands on it´s own within the realm of doom. the warning / burzum / saint vitus influences in some tracks are the most obvious ones, theme- and aesthetic-wise there is more similarity with bands like electric wizard / rev. biz...
05.06.2016 - 00:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Comparing MDB and RB mixing is I dnt know, I don't hear anything and I disagree whit MH about this band onlky I agree its not RB, but good doom,
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.06.2016 - 01:08
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Wait, is someone saying this sounds like reverend bizarre while other is saying it sounds like fucking drudkh?
this could turn out to be an interesting listen
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
05.06.2016 - 01:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Karlabos on 05.06.2016 at 01:08

Wait, is someone saying this sounds like reverend bizarre while other is saying it sounds like fucking drudkh?

This is pure trad doom in the vein of RB and has nothing to do with Drudkh at all. Whoever said that has clearly not heard anything by Cardinals Follly.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.06.2016 - 01:31
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.06.2016 at 01:21

This is pure trad doom in the vein of RB and has nothing to do with Drudkh at all. Whoever said that has clearly not heard anything by Cardinals Follly.

Yeah, I listened to a bit of this album and it's indeed traditional doom.
I get where his "Drudkh riff" comment is coming from but it's quite not like that.

Vocals were a major turn-off though
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
05.06.2016 - 03:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Karlabos on 05.06.2016 at 01:31

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.06.2016 at 01:21

Yeah, I listened to a bit of this album and it's indeed traditional doom.
I get where his "Drudkh riff" comment is coming from but it's quite not like that.

Vocals were a major turn-off though

Just read it , gosh some say I am idiot here, but I don't hear and druth bm riffs at all, pure 100% traditional doom metal
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 2724 | This month: 7