Metal Storm logo
Moonspell - Working On New Album

Good news for the Moonspell wolfpack. The Portuguese band is working on new material for their next album. It was the group's frontman Fernando Ribeiro who confirmed it on a recent video message. He announced that the follow-up to the double album Alpha Noir / Omega White is in the works. It's about time, right? Prepare for new music from Moonspell.

The band has been touring non-stop but plans to release a new album next year.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Moonspell
Posted: 15.08.2014 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 13   Visited by: 134 users
15.08.2014 - 21:18
chronic-headache

First Anaal Nathrakh, then Moonspell
today has been a great day
15.08.2014 - 21:19
SceneryOfLoss

15.08.2014 - 21:54
Erik M.

Love this guy. He's awesome, especially on stage as he's a great frontman. Saw them live for the first time in 2006 or something when they supported Cradle of Filth. Sufficed to say they impressed me a whole lot more than CoF did, while I was a fan of theirs and didn't know Moonspell('s music) yet back then.

In any case looking forward to their next album. I liked their last but compared to their early work (referring to the first two albums, obviously) it's not that great. I'm hope they're going for a less black metal and more gothic metal sound this time, because I like their gothic stuff (Wolfheart, Irreligious, Sin/Pecado) a lot more overall.
16.08.2014 - 00:46
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by Erik M. on 15.08.2014 at 21:54

Love this guy. He's awesome, especially on stage as he's a great frontman. Saw them live for the first time in 2006 or something when they supported Cradle of Filth. Sufficed to say they impressed me a whole lot more than CoF did, while I was a fan of theirs and didn't know Moonspell('s music) yet back then.

In any case looking forward to their next album. I liked their last but compared to their early work (referring to the first two albums, obviously) it's not that great. I'm hope they're going for a less black metal and more gothic metal sound this time, because I like their gothic stuff (Wolfheart, Irreligious, Sin/Pecado) a lot more overall.

Only that Wolfheart was not as much gothic as it was black metal. Irreligious is great though.
16.08.2014 - 01:01
Erik M.

Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 16.08.2014 at 00:46

Only that Wolfheart was not as much gothic as it was black metal. Irreligious is great though.

Irreligious is great, but Wolfheart is the best thing they ever did. It surely is both gothic and black metal, maybe about 50/50. The BM is heard clearly, but the gothic atmosphere is overly present as well, hence why it feels more gothic to me. And don't forget the two tracks Trebraruna and Ataegina, which are both very folky. In any case, I'd say Irreligious and Sin/Pecado are way more gothic than BM.
16.08.2014 - 08:36
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Written by Erik M. on 15.08.2014 at 21:54

I'm hope they're going for a less black metal and more gothic metal sound this time

Well, Omega White was a pure gothic metal record and quite a good one, in my opinion. Anyway, I'm sure the new album is going to sound different. That's what I love about Moonspell - they never copy themselves, always try to evolve.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
16.08.2014 - 10:22
reload3591

Omega White is hands down my favorite Moonspell album. Alpha Noir had a few good points, but overall lacked in creativity, I thought. If they do a single album this time, they might be able to focus. If not, I get twice the songs to adore.
16.08.2014 - 10:52
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I'm always expecting something good from Moonspell.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
16.08.2014 - 17:13
Eternity'sChild

I love both sides of Moonspell, so, can't wait for the new album.
16.08.2014 - 17:41
Erik M.

Written by NocturnalStalker on 16.08.2014 at 08:36

Well, Omega White was a pure gothic metal record and quite a good one, in my opinion. Anyway, I'm sure the new album is going to sound different. That's what I love about Moonspell - they never copy themselves, always try to evolve.

Yeah, just listened to Alpha Noir again (last time was years ago) and liked it a bit more than before but still their worst album I'd say (6/10 material). Pretty bland and uninteresting. Now spinning Omega White again and it's so much better (8/10 material). Indeed it's pretty much pure gothic metal. As I said, that style suits Moonspell much better, in contrary to the totally generic black metal they play nowadays. Night Eternal was good though, but not Memorial and Alpha Noir.

I'm very curious which style the new album will be, since you never know with Moonspell. A combination of gothic and BM heard on Wolfheart might still be the best.
16.08.2014 - 18:34
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Written by Erik M. on 16.08.2014 at 17:41

Yeah, just listened to Alpha Noir again (last time was years ago) and liked it a bit more than before but still their worst album I'd say (6/10 material). Pretty bland and uninteresting.

I, for one, like both Alpha Noir and Omega White. I wouldn't say that the music they play nowadays is generic black metal. Sure, as Fernando mentioned, Bathory was a big influence for Alpha Noir, for instance, but, still, the kind of music found there is more a mixture of different metal sub-genres - melodic black metal, melodic death metal, thrash metal, gothic metal. Actually, I've re-listened that album a couple of days ago and it was the first album in months that made me bang my head. And pretty hard too.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
17.08.2014 - 15:13
mara

Can't wait for the new album ^^ and to see them again
01.10.2014 - 08:41
The Melting Snow

Pretty excited. I started following Moonspell in 2006 and they exceeded expectations with both albums released since.

My guess is that the next one would be a single album (because they never repeat what they've already done), and it'll be somewhat Night Eternal + Alpha Noir. Really looking forward to it.

Hits total: 2256 | This month: 5