Album: Doomed To Fail
Release date: March 2014

01. Rhinonaut
02. Giving It All To The Rising
03. This War Is Mine
04. Conformity Ruins
05. Doomed To Fail
06. Iron Walls

Sonic Booze Machine is the enemy of every teetotal and recovering alcoholic; theirs is the sound of the sloshed.

A name like that doesn't leave a whole lot to the imagination, and it's something that gets straight to the point of the metal behind it. This band's debut album Doomed To Fail is stoner booze and/or booze sludge, take your pick and you're getting hammered either way.

Sonic Booze Machine's speciality is a thick, groove-doomy and hardcore German brew, a sonic substance which is more than likely to have your head in the toilet before things are through. The sludge texture goes down well enough, though it's not exactly going to make you see the world from a whole new perspective. Like any good beverage of its kind it all goes directly to the head, by way of a sure and steady reduction in the pace of the sculling. And by "reduction" I mean a slowing down into more of a doom tempo and tone by the album's end in "Iron Walls," a final gulp for drudgery.

From open to close, the album's tempo sets the doom-light standard by which any inhibitions in the tunes are let loose in drunken sludge riffs alongside stoner metal melodies, such as those which fill the title track to the brim, often spilling over the sides as the band lyrically decry the conditions of the nine-to-five workaday lifestyle.

The hardcore vocals may leave something of a bitter aftertaste, but they're really what give the capably produced mix something of its own distinctiveness, otherwise booze is booze and this one isn't all that different. Typical sludge/stoner metal with an aesthetic that requests of doom metal from its intoxicated state "Bah, go on 'en, jus' a one more round, ey?"

Cheers to Sonic Booze Machine for the six shots, this one's on them.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 7

Written on 14.08.2014 by R'Vannith enjoys music, he's hoping you do too.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 19 users
16.08.2014 - 18:32
Rating: 7
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Hehe, nice! Listening to this right now! Heavy as fuck and fun to listen to. Excellent review as always, and thanks.
----
rekt
16.08.2014 - 18:40
Ilham
Giant robot
I have had this in my SSD for two weeks and still haven't tried it. I am enjoying anything sludge/stoner a lot these days, and your review just confirmed it will fit nicely enough.

Hits total: 2509 | This month: 10