Metal Storm logo
Backmasking/Secret messages in songs

02.02.2007 - 03:42
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Youve all heard some, you get that chill down your spine as soon as you find a secret message put into a song that you never knew to be there. I wanted to start a thread to discuss songs with cool backmasking and other secret messages and such. Led Zeppelins 'stairway to heaven' has to have the most famous backmasking. But another good song with great backmasking is Motorheads 'nightmare/the dreamtime'.

Is there anyone else who has found songs with cool backmasking/hidden secrets and such?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
02.02.2007 - 07:10
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
Well I know of a couple Bathory songs that have secret messages in the lyrics. In their song "The Golden Walls of Heaven" the first letter of each line spells out "Satan" in every verse. Also in their song "Dies Irae" the first letter of each line spells out "Christ the Bastard Son of Heaven." That's about all I know.
11.02.2007 - 12:04
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Nile's instrumental track titled "Dusk Falls Upon The Temple Of The Serpent On The Mount Of Sunrise" stands as a metaphor to the end of egyptian civilization. This is all I know for now.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
13.02.2007 - 18:13
Damnated
Churchburner
i've heard led zep's 'secret message' several times, and every time i thought it was bollocks. however, if you listen to it with the text of 'message' right in front of you, it actually makes sence. songs that contain backward messages are imo : The Beatles - Revolution 9, ELo - Fire on High, Pink Floyd - Empty Spaces.
check out this link http://jeffmilner.com/backmasking.htm for some songs with backward messages. however, don't look at the lyrics during the first couple of listens.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
13.02.2007 - 18:43
Valentin B
Iconoclast
there's also the notorious "start to smoke marijuana" line in "another one bites the dust" by queen. also the infamous "do it!!" in priest's "better by you, better than me" has allegedly caused 2 guys to commit suicide in some american town. it's not backmask, but it's in the chorus(i listened to the slower version which supposedly highlights the "do it", and it has something in background that sounds like "dooouuuuuu-eeeeeggh"(like a mid-tom beat, and then the "it" is explained by halford as both him breathing and the leslie organ effect of the guitar), but not a clear "do it")
also, rob halford admitted that he put backmasked stuff in his early priest days, mostly nonsense like "i wanna be your sex god" or "arouse me bitch" shit like that.
10.03.2007 - 20:23
Icewings
La Luna
Interesting Thread , well music is full of hidden message , either the composer wants it like that or the record label itself , not only in music but covers, imagine you name it . There's many reason for hidden messages but true is no much band can scapce it either because they want to or not , even in classical music there's hidden messages , you'll be surprise ..
----

Metalheads for Black Lives and Land Back
10.03.2007 - 20:51
Warman
Erotic Stains
The Stairway to Heaven message is probably one of the creepiest stuff I've ever experienced... how did the band comment on it?
----
12.03.2007 - 20:48
Necronomicon
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 10.03.2007 at 20:51

The Stairway to Heaven message is probably one of the creepiest stuff I've ever experienced... how did the band comment on it?

well, try to read the lyrics forwards. there are many clues on why they wonna have a backward message.
12.03.2007 - 23:21
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 12.03.2007 at 20:48

well, try to read the lyrics forwards. there are many clues on why they wonna have a backward message.

Is there a message in the forward lyrics? cus the only clue I got from them is that they dont make any sense forward.
----
- George Carlin
13.03.2007 - 09:17
Necronomicon
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 12.03.2007 at 23:21

Written by Guest on 12.03.2007 at 20:48

Is there a message in the forward lyrics? cus the only clue I got from them is that they dont make any sense forward.

"There's a sign on the wall but she wants to be sure
And you know sometimes words have two meanings
In the tree by the brook there's a songbird who sings
Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven"

"
Yes there are two paths you can go by
but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on"

13.03.2007 - 16:18
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Yeah, Stairway to Heaven backwards sounds damn creepy! I still cant andrstand how can someone do that.... To have words in both ways, wthout singing nosense like Aeurhgtajk jafjsaj j..... They must be crazy , I dont know....

And concerning that Priest's famous "Do it" , even if they did it on purposse, those boys didnt commited suicide becuose of that, than becaues they were idiots. Its like I go and buy icecream and say, "I did it because theres "Do it" in Judas Priest's song......." I mean, "Do it"?? Do what?
----
13.03.2007 - 20:57
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Stalker on 13.03.2007 at 16:18

Yeah, Stairway to Heaven backwards sounds damn creepy! I still cant andrstand how can someone do that.... To have words in both ways, wthout singing nosense like Aeurhgtajk jafjsaj j..... They must be crazy , I dont know....

And concerning that Priest's famous "Do it" , even if they did it on purposse, those boys didnt commited suicide becuose of that, than becaues they were idiots. Its like I go and buy icecream and say, "I did it because theres "Do it" in Judas Priest's song......." I mean, "Do it"?? Do what?

I think one way they may figure out how to make backwards messaging (like led zeppelin) is to figure out the message first, record it, then turn it backward, and the backwards jibberish may resemble words so they record what they hear at that point. Get it?
----
- George Carlin
13.03.2007 - 22:26
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Doc G. on 13.03.2007 at 20:57

I think one way they may figure out how to make backwards messaging (like led zeppelin) is to figure out the message first, record it, then turn it backward, and the backwards jibberish may resemble words so they record what they hear at that point. Get it?
Yeah, I know, but that would be more occasionally, and it must take a hell of a time and work to do it....
----
13.03.2007 - 22:30
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Stalker on 13.03.2007 at 22:26

Written by Doc G. on 13.03.2007 at 20:57

Yeah, I know, but that would be more occasionally, and it must take a hell of a time and work to do it....

Oh yeah for sure, but look at Stairway To Heaven as a song as a whole, that was no filler track and the whole thing mustve been a long writing process, why would they get lazy with there fun little idea?
----
- George Carlin
13.03.2007 - 23:47
Ernis
狼獾
Britney Spears....

"Sleep with me I'm not too young...."

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/2006/06/britneysubliminal.html
03.04.2007 - 18:26
APOHAKC
The Bard
James Heitfield in The Four Horseman

'I am happy, little leprichon...'
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
03.04.2007 - 23:11
GT
Coffee!!
Written by Ernis on 13.03.2007 at 23:47

Britney Spears....

"Sleep with me I'm not too young...."

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/2006/06/britneysubliminal.html

Hell no you're not...but you're fucked up

Nice one
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
17.08.2007 - 07:50
Syk
myspace/bonerama
A lot of you aren't understanding what's described in this thread.
Backmasking is when something is recorded and then put onto tape/disc/whatever in the reverse direction, sometimes slowed down. The start of Metallica's song Blackened does this but with guitars instead of a person's voice.

One I was thinking of is Iron Maiden's Still Life, I read that someone - I think the drummer - recorded themselves saying something like "looking for hidden messages, huh? hahaha" and this was flipped and then put at the start of the song.

About Stairway, I am also doubtful that the reversed clip is genuine. The forwards lyrics though, Robert Plant has admitted that they were written while he was fucked up on drugs (from Morocco if I recall correctly) and he now doesn't like the song.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
26.08.2007 - 16:57
Remus

System of a Down's song "Sugar" has some backmasked message at the end. If you listen to the song, Serj says "I've killed everyone" but if you listen to it backwards it actually says "You know we're friendly".

And BTW, i've listened to "Stairway to Heaven" backwards and didn't hear shit. What is it supposed to be anyway?
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
07.09.2007 - 21:18
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Remus on 26.08.2007 at 16:57

System of a Down's song "Sugar" has some backmasked message at the end. If you listen to the song, Serj says "I've killed everyone" but if you listen to it backwards it actually says "You know we're friendly".

And BTW, i've listened to "Stairway to Heaven" backwards and didn't hear shit. What is it supposed to be anyway?

Oh here's to my sweet Satan.
The one whose little path would make me sad, whose power is Satan.
He will give those with him 666.
There was a little toolshed where he made us suffer, sad Satan.

And it does sound like that, pretty much
----
08.09.2007 - 16:03
Remus

^ Ok, i went to this link http://jeffmilner.com/backmasking.htm which Damnated recommended and it clears up everything!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
02.11.2007 - 22:26
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
The beginning ov Venom's "In League With Satan"..........

I can't connect to what the message says as Metal-Archives is being a bitch, but that's a legitimate song to look at I think.
03.11.2007 - 03:12
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
oh here it is:

Satan!
Raised in hell!
Raised in hell!
I'm gonna burn your soul!
Crush your bones!
I'm gonna make you bleed!
You gonna bleed for me!
(the reversed introduction)
03.11.2007 - 05:36
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 03.11.2007 at 03:12

oh here it is:

Satan!
Raised in hell!
Raised in hell!
I'm gonna burn your soul!
Crush your bones!
I'm gonna make you bleed!
You gonna bleed for me!
(the reversed introduction)

Wow, thats pretty tame in comparison with alot of there forward lyrics, when I heard that intro I always thought "wow, that must be a sweet sick message in that"...guess not.
----
- George Carlin
03.11.2007 - 10:09
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by APOHAKC on 03.04.2007 at 18:26

hahahahaahaaa i LMAO'd at this.. where did you find it?
03.11.2007 - 11:49
Sunioj

Written by Damnated on 13.02.2007 at 18:13

i've heard led zep's 'secret message' several times, and every time i thought it was bollocks. however, if you listen to it with the text of 'message' right in front of you, it actually makes sence.

I agree. Just go on youtube and search for Led Zepplin+Message, you will see find many attempts at interpeting the hidden messages, and almost 99% of the time, all the interpretations are considerably differrent from each other.
04.11.2007 - 03:15
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Valentin B on 03.11.2007 at 10:09

Written by APOHAKC on 03.04.2007 at 18:26

hahahahaahaaa i LMAO'd at this.. where did you find it?

Well, actually I didn't, but I have some feeling he say that...
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!