Metal Storm logo
The Worst "Popular" Metal Albums

I realize the importance of these albums to the genres, and the influence they have had. however I do not find these albums really that great and pleasurable due to the competition and elimination through these decades of musical evolution. I respect these bands for releasing something so creative, conceptual and also brought us to the new dimension in the past.

My opinions are solely personal which are based on its musical value in modern era, not for its historical significance.

I received complaints from some members about rating their favorite albums at low scores. Unfortunately I am not able to do anything which is against my own will in order to please some of you.

I apologize in advance for my poor english which restricted me for answering some of your questions and requests. On the other hand I was not able to convey my message efficiently due to the reason above mentioned that had caused a lot of misunderstandings.

Definition :
Overrated : A term used to describe something that gets more hype and credit than it's actually worth.
Classic : (adjective) of the first or highest quality, class, or rank. (noun) Something noteworthy of its kind and worth "remembering".

****************************************************************************************************
1) All albums listed are considered OVERRATED in my personal point of view.
2) Opinions are solely personally, I hope interference from the website owners could be reduced to minimum.

Created by: Dr. Strawberry | 20.08.2014

1. Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Rating : 4-5
2. Amorphis - Tales From The Thousand Lakes
Rating : 3-4
3. Amon Amarth - Twilight Of The Thunder God
Rating : 5-6
4. Accept - Restless And Wild
Rating : 2-3
5. Accept - Balls To The Wall
6. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
7. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Rating : 7-8
8. Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
9. Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell
10. Black Sabbath - Mob Rules
11. Death - Leprosy
Rating : 6-7
12. Death - Human
13. Death - Individual Thought Patterns
14. Death - Symbolic
Rating : 2-3
15. Death - The Sound Of Perseverance
16. Dream Theater - Awake
17. Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
18. Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast
19. Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind
20. Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time
21. Iron Maiden - Brave New World
22. King Diamond - Abigail
23. Metallica - Master Of Puppets
24. Metallica - ...And Justice For All
25. Megadeth - Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
26. Megadeth - Rust In Peace
27. Machine Head - The Blackening
28. Overkill - Ironbound
29. Overkill - The Electric Age
30. Obituary - Slowly We Rot
31. Repulsion - Horrified
32. Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
33. Slayer - Show No Mercy
34. Sodom - Agent Orange

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Dr. Strawberry ]

Comments page 3 / 7

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 198   Visited by: 417 users
30.08.2014 - 17:32
Ilham
Giant robot
Just to clarify, I was just talking about the definition of "classic". "Overrated" and "classic" are two words that get thrown around to easily in my opinion.
30.08.2014 - 17:41
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.08.2014 at 17:29

Just because something is influential doesn't mean it's good.

Sure, but I'm just saying, whether it's good or not, give credit where credit is due. I find Metallica to be terribly overrated, and albums like Master Of Puppets and And Justice For All to be incredibly weak compared to some others released around the same time, but I'm not about to deny how they served as important stepping stones in the evolution of metal as a whole.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
01.09.2014 - 03:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by deadone on 01.09.2014 at 03:01
"Good" is a subjective concept.

Influential albums are influential because they did something new and people liked this "new thing". If an album is absolute garbage without any appeal whatsoever, it won't be influential regardless of how innovative it is.

I never said it wasn't.

But just because people might like a thing still doesn't mean they think it's good. Sometimes what's unappealing and off-putting is what people draw influence from.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.09.2014 - 03:20
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Approached this with an open mind. It did great things for me...and my LIFE actually. I know now that there are people crazier than myself out there. And they are abundant! Thank you!
01.09.2014 - 04:38
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by deadone on 01.09.2014 at 04:20

Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.09.2014 at 03:07

But just because people might like a thing still doesn't mean they think it's good.

Liking something means it's good for the person that likes it.

I know that half of what I listen to is - various degrees of - shit. People call that "guilty pleasures" usually.
01.09.2014 - 05:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I like things that aren't good, especially movies. I love bad movies.

I don't think they're good just because I like them. The same applies to music.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.09.2014 - 05:10
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by deadone on 01.09.2014 at 04:46

Dunno. You still like it, so it clearly has appeal (something good). Guilty pleasure seems to imply placing a value on your own opinion because that opniion doesn't correlate to some other views. And indeed people often refer to "guilty pleasures" to stuff that's not in their usual habits (e.g. "I'm into Black Metal exclusively but J-Pop is a guilty pleasure"). That still doesn't negate the enjoyment from the good elements of the so-called "guilty pleasure".

I'd say everything I like is good. It's good to me.

It really has nothing to do with what other people think about it. I just know it's bad. In almost every aspect of it, a lot of the music I listen to is bad, just that. I can make a difference between the level of enjoyment I get from something and its actual value/quality.
01.09.2014 - 10:08
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 01.09.2014 at 05:10

It really has nothing to do with what other people think about it. I just know it's bad. In almost every aspect of it, a lot of the music I listen to is bad, just that. I can make a difference between the level of enjoyment I get from something and its actual value/quality.

Yeah it's really such a simple concept, I'm surprised some people have issues understanding it. Good is not always equal to quality, and often a person can recognise something as being good without necessarily enjoying it. I think some people don't like the idea that another person's opinion may carry more weight in terms of how valid it is because they demonstrate an understanding of what it is they are or are not enjoying / critiquing, so in order to combat this they refuse to acknowledge it on an informed level and entirely pass it off as purely subconscious and instinctive preferences. I really don't think this is the case when you have a firm understanding of what you're listening to, watching etc. There are conscious, objective observations drawn from experience in every "subjective" opinion, and that's how we measure the differences between valid opinion and not so much valid, in my opinion (and how a person enjoys something bad etc.)
01.09.2014 - 12:56
Ilham
Giant robot
Thank you for developing that simple idea and what I couldn't express in my own words.
03.09.2014 - 00:30
Fredd
Account deleted
Oh hey a tl;dr discussion. what did I miss?
03.09.2014 - 05:10
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 03.09.2014 at 03:45

"it's so bad it's good".

More like "It's so good, it's bad."
03.09.2014 - 20:37
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Guest on 03.09.2014 at 05:10

Written by Guest on 03.09.2014 at 03:45

"it's so bad it's good".

More like "It's so good, it's bad."

Check your IQ level before making silly comments.
03.09.2014 - 20:51
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Reality03 on 02.09.2014 at 20:11

Lol, whats the point of this list? All of these belong to the most influential metal bands. So you dont like them because they were important?

No point.
I am not talking about how influential and important those bands are.
Are you lost ?
03.09.2014 - 21:02
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 03.09.2014 at 20:37

Check your IQ level before making silly comments.

You're right, I probably should. I think it's lowered a couple points since I've first read this list.
04.09.2014 - 10:31
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Reality03 on 03.09.2014 at 21:33

No. I just dont understand how you can throw in every 80s Maiden album f.e.and call it "overrated". You might not like them, thats fine, im not a huge fan either, but i wouldnt call them overrated, seeing as how many bands are influenced by them. Same with Black sabbath etc..

You don't understand and confused because I am not talking about how influential and important those bands are. You have to refer to the header and check out the definition of "overrated"
04.09.2014 - 10:47
Dr. Strawberry

Iron Maiden have to credit Eddie and those cover art graphic designers for their success.
Their quality of music has been very average to me, especially blending progressive elements in heavy metal turned me off.
04.09.2014 - 16:17
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 04.09.2014 at 10:47

Iron Maiden have to credit Eddie and those cover art graphic designers for their success.
Their quality of music has been very average to me, especially blending progressive elements in heavy metal turned me off.

no disrespect but this comment gave me cancer.
04.09.2014 - 21:07
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker

Lol! I will remember that comment

BTW this list is quite hilarious because you are just showing us that you have terrible taste in music. No offence of course, people can hate Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath or Death but em... what are you doing here on Metalstorm if you hate so many classic metal bands? I think you should also make a list of your favourite albums then.
04.09.2014 - 22:08
Zap

Yes, and all of Metallica's success came from Jason Newsted's incredible bass performance on ...And Justice For All.
04.09.2014 - 22:21
Erik M.

Written by Hex_Omega on 04.09.2014 at 21:07

BTW this list is quite hilarious because you are just showing us that you have terrible taste in music. No offence of course, people can hate Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath or Death but em... what are you doing here on Metalstorm if you hate so many classic metal bands? I think you should also make a list of your favourite albums then.

You of all people should know there's far more to metal than "just" classic heavy or thrash metal bands. I almost like none of those bands/albums either and there's lots of stuff I do enjoy (as you probably know). So your comment is nonsense, sorry. However, I wouldn't bother to actually rate so many albums I dislike, as I simply don't like to listen to music that I don't like (which most of the time I know beforehand). Another difference between me and the list creator is that he actually admitted to like some albums by those bands and hates the ones he put on this list. Well, fine by me if he hates them, but seeing as the general consensus is that most of these albums are great/classic/influential etc., I'd rather go with the general consensus than with the opinion of one guy who simply enjoys to bash albums that a lot of people love.
04.09.2014 - 22:33
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Erik M. on 04.09.2014 at 22:21

You of all people should know there's far more to metal than "just" classic heavy or thrash metal bands. I almost like none of those bands/albums either and there's lots of stuff I do enjoy (as you probably know). So your comment is nonsense, sorry.

Ok but you did not made a list like this one. I could make a list of 'Power Metal bands that I hate' but I don't see a point of making such list...
04.09.2014 - 22:40
Erik M.

Written by Hex_Omega on 04.09.2014 at 22:33

Ok but you did not made a list like this one. I could make a list of 'Power Metal bands that I hate' but I don't see a point of making such list...

Yeah, he just wants to show everyone that he disagrees with the general consensus regarding these albums, which indeed seems a bit pointless. Sometimes I like to bash popular albums are well when I dislike them, but creating a list goes a bit too far.
04.09.2014 - 22:45
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Erik M. on 04.09.2014 at 22:40

Sometimes I like to bash popular albums are well when I dislike them, but creating a list goes a bit too far.

And this was the general point of my first comment. Btw you don't like Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath? How dare you
04.09.2014 - 22:47
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 04.09.2014 at 16:17

no disrespect but this comment gave me cancer.

Yeah...It's among the dumber comments I've seen. Granted, I think the good branding and imaging of Iron Maiden does play into their success a fair amount, but chalking up a successful 40 year career entirely to a mascot is just...wrong.

Quote:

1) All albums listed are considered OVERRATED in my personal point of view.

Well, your personal view is a bit warped, I think. A good chunk of these albums should be held in more esteem based on just how influential they are.

Hell, I don't even like a good portion of the albums on this list (I'm definitely more into modern stuff), but I can't deny their importance. I'd acknowledge that most of, if not all of my favourite bands wouldn't exist without them...Same goes for anyone's favourite bands I think.

Also, God Buster is more or less a revisionist (as Marcel would say), and probably shouldn't be taken seriously. His other awful list is pretty indicative of that.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
04.09.2014 - 22:47
Erik M.

Written by Hex_Omega on 04.09.2014 at 22:45

And this was the general point of my first comment. Btw you don't like Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath? How dare you

True enough then. Haven't checked out much by those bands, but from what I've heard I can't say I like them, no. Heavy metal is actually a genre that I really don't care for at all. Thrash I enjoy a lot more, every now and then.
04.09.2014 - 22:49
Erik M.

Written by Doc G. on 04.09.2014 at 22:47

Hell, I don't even like a good portion of the albums on this list (I'm definitely more into modern stuff), but I can't deny their importance. I'd acknowledge that most of, if not all of my favourite bands wouldn't exist without them...Same goes for anyone's favourite bands I think.

Yeah, this is pretty much true for me as well. Denying their importance would be ignorant and stupid, but I don't have to like them.
04.09.2014 - 22:52
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Erik M. on 04.09.2014 at 22:47

Written by Hex_Omega on 04.09.2014 at 22:45

True enough then. Haven't checked out much by those bands, but from what I've heard I can't say I like them, no. Heavy metal is actually a genre that I really don't care for. Thrash I enjoy a lot more, every now and then.

You should check out early heavy metal albums from '70. Give them a chance
04.09.2014 - 22:56
Erik M.

Written by Hex_Omega on 04.09.2014 at 22:52

Whoa there. Everything before the 90's is already "old" for me, let alone 70's. I did like King Crimson's debut, but not enough to actually listen to it more than once. Pretty much everything I like and listen to is from the last 20-25 years or so.
04.09.2014 - 22:58
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.08.2014 at 20:33

I'm pretty sure it's just a list of albums he doesn't like as much as the rest of the people on MS according to the ratings.

Isn't that what everyone's view of "overrated" is? When you don't like something as much as the majority?

I'd disagree. I think you can still recognize importance/quality without having to enjoy it personally. I think the term "overrated" implies that the praise from the majority isn't justified by anything more than the sheeple mentality and sensationalism.

Like, in the context of the topic/list at hand - I really don't like Death. Never clicked with me. However, I know how important they are to the bigger picture, and I can understand why people like them, but they do nothing for me. I've heard many of my favourite bands (in interviews) list Death albums as really influential for them. While my personal tastes may put those albums at a 6 or so, I'm not going to out and out say they don't deserve the recognition they get.

With that in mind, I was going to chalk the banality of this list up to a language breakdown, but his other list indicates the contrary.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
04.09.2014 - 23:01
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Erik M. on 04.09.2014 at 22:56

Written by Hex_Omega on 04.09.2014 at 22:52

Whoa there. Everything before the 90's is already "old" for me, let alone 70's. I did like King Crimson's debut, but not enough to actually listen to it more than once. Pretty much everything I like and listen to is from the last 20-25 years or so.

Hah ok... Maybe some day you will be curious enough to check the 70's out.

Hits total: 7090 | This month: 17