03. Betrayal And Vengeance
04. Chrysalis
05. I Am The Jigsaw Of A Mad God
06. The Deep
07. Odem
08. Luciform
09. On Fever's Wings
10. The Deep [acoustic version] [bonus]

Tasteful evolution. If there ever was a phrase to describe Dark Fortress, that, right there, is it. They're never ones to reinvent the wheel, but why should they? They've crafted their own sound without any extravagant gimmicks, they don't take risks, but they also never really misstep. With each album, Dark Fortress just defines their sound a little more. Venereal Dawn is another solid step forward in the logical progression of their history.

Dark Fortress albums are typically long affairs, and Venereal Dawn is no different. This is a real whopper of an album when it comes to scope, which progresses and unfolds at such a beautiful pace, it's quite difficult imagining how they'd fit this all in in under its seventy minutes.

First, we take the core of what Dark Fortress is; a melodic black metal act, with tasteful balancing between hyper-aggressive black metal and mellow, ambient passages. Throw in some subtle, haunting keyboards underneath the mix, and you've got the raw product. Then the fun begins...

Each track is taken with a different approach, sometimes subtle, sometimes a drastic side-step. Regardless, it all flows together perfectly. The cohesiveness of the album is very deliberate, it's not a collection of songs, it's rather a bunch of smaller pieces to a bigger story. "Lloigor" is the sound of Opeth's Blackwater Park meets Keep Of Kalessin's Kolossus. From the latter half of "I Am The Jigsaw Of A Mad God" until the end of the album, it begins to pick up a Rotting Christ Aealo approach - a lot of chugging, chanting, stomping rhythmic segments with Middle Eastern and Mediterranean overtones. In between all that you've got epic black metal all the way down to bleak minimalist segments with whiffs of blackened shoegaze wafting by. "On Fever's Wings" is the ultimate closing track for this grand adventure of an album. It's like that closing number in musicals where the entire cast of characters comes out to close the show; in this eleven minutes, you'll find Venereal Dawn encapsulated in its entirety.

?But you've already come to expect all this from Dark Fortress. Duh. The gradual incline in detail, depth and quality from Séance to Eidolon to Ylem should have been a dead giveaway where this was heading. The only tangibly new piece to the Dark Fortress arsenal is just how proggy this album is. There's several passages that are sure to strike you as distinctly Opethian...Well, more like Opeth on peyote, but I digress.

Dark Fortress have been kicking around for some time now, gaining popularity but hardly being at the forefront in many people's minds. If this doesn't bring them Dimmu Borgir, Behemoth or Keep Of Kalessin levels of popularity in the uber-digestible black metal field, surely there's no hope...And you should all feel like terrible people for not telling enough friends about it.

Written on 22.08.2014 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 396 users
22.08.2014 - 08:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Awesome, it sounds like this turned out to be exactly what I was hoping for back when they first released a stream of some of their new songs.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.08.2014 - 09:03
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Nice review, sounds like this one will easily break any concerns of standard black metal boredom. I'll be listening out for it.
22.08.2014 - 12:44
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Well written! You made this sound interesting, will check it out!
22.08.2014 - 13:37
roeder

I was considering giving this band a chance for some time now. This review convinced me to do it.
22.08.2014 - 14:33
Ilham
Giant robot
I really wasn't convinced by the two songs they released separately. I've always liked their "only concept albums" approach, so I'll discard what I thought of the two songs and give it a listen anyway.
22.08.2014 - 14:53
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Venereal Dawn sounds like that one morning I woke up sore in a downtown back alley behind a gas station during Gay Pride weekend.

Shit, I just realized that's my second consecutive gay buttsecks joke today. I suppose I have been fucked at work tonight, but in a different way.
22.08.2014 - 17:31
bleak
Account deleted
Nice review. Been expecting this one for a few months now... V. Santura always delivers.
22.08.2014 - 22:19
Rating: 9
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Dangerboner on 22.08.2014 at 14:53

Venereal Dawn sounds like that one morning I woke up sore in a downtown back alley behind a gas station during Gay Pride weekend.

Shit, I just realized that's my second consecutive gay buttsecks joke today. I suppose I have been fucked at work tonight, but in a different way.

I knew it was only a matter of time...
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
22.08.2014 - 23:20
Daniell
_爱情_
Can't wait to hear the whole album. The title track is excellent.
23.08.2014 - 22:36
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Wonderful review, just like the band, definitely looking forward to Venereal Dawn, it's been some time since Ylem.
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
05.09.2014 - 00:29
bugsterscrow

By the way, very good artwork cover
06.09.2014 - 22:12
Daniell
_爱情_
Mature, intricate, engaging, accomplished. A strong contender for black metal album of the year.
28.09.2014 - 17:20
s_t_s

A very good album but I won't rate it yet as I seem to need more time to really get into it while Ylem was an instant coup de coeur ! I already love Fever's Wing tho
07.10.2019 - 14:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Its indeed progressive, its such progressive what I like, its amazing album, maybe I will overkill but can I say its their best? rare when latest album us better as older ones.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 10089 | This month: 6