Metal Storm logo
Sonata Arctica - Releasing Re-Recorded 'Ecliptica' Edition

While currently on another successful world tour, this time to support their latest studio album Pariah's Child, Finnish power metal heroes Sonata Arctica swung by the studio to re-record their debut album Ecliptica, which was released 15 years ago. This new version will be released on October 24th under the banner Ecliptica - Revisited: 15th Anniversary Edition on Nuclear Blast. What do you think about this release? Would you be interested in it?

Back then, Ecliptica, was recorded at Tico-Tico studios and mixed at Finnvox by Mikko Karmila ( Nightwish, Children Of Bodom] and more). The album was promoted live on tour with Stratovarius and Rhapsody.

Keyboardist Henrik "Henkka" Klingenberg comments: "When it first was suggested to us by our Japanese label that we'd re-record our debut album Ecliptica, it felt a bit weird, but somehow the idea grew on us. Being that only Tony and Tommy played on the original one, we thought that it would be a fun thing to do, to give these great songs another run. We're definitely not trying to re-write history, the original Ecliptica is the starting point of this band and a very special album with a certain feel of innocence and enthusiasm which cannot be recreated as such since we're not teenagers anymore. Having said that, this new version is more of a tribute and an update on how these songs sound when played by our current line-up. We wanted to stay true to the original album as much as possible and not turn this into some weird re-arranged project where you couldn't tell which song was being played. So here it is, the 15th anniversary version of Ecliptica. Hope you enjoy it, we certainly had a good time digging into these songs and laying down the tracks."

The tracklist:

01. Blank File
02. My Land
03. 8th Commandment
04. Replica
05. Kingdom For A Heart
06. Fullmoon
07. Letter To Dana
08. UnOpened
09. Picturing The Past
10. Destruction Preventer
Bonus:
11. I Can't Dance (Genesis cover)

The first digital single of the CD will be "Kingdom For A Heart", due out on September 12th.

Source: sonataarctica.info
Band profile: Sonata Arctica
Posted: 22.08.2014 by Shorlack

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 23   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 176 users
22.08.2014 - 19:21
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Doesn't seem necessary ...
22.08.2014 - 19:33
EmeraldSword

I gotta give them props for the cover though. Looks great!
22.08.2014 - 19:41
J. N.
Account deleted
If it turns out as good as the original, I'm super down.
22.08.2014 - 19:45
moe5512

I think it's quite unnecessary... I mean if Amorphis or Dimmu Borgir decides to re-record albums that have a bad sound quality, it's understandable, but Ecliptica had quite good mixing imo
22.08.2014 - 20:22
EmeraldSword

Oh and I would have liked to hear a song sample with the announcement, but I guess they want us to wait in anticipation. Production wise though I think Ecliptica's original recording sound quality holds up with Songs of Silence, so I tend to agree with others here, this probably was unnecessary.
22.08.2014 - 20:37
Ruchesko

Written by Irritable Ted on 22.08.2014 at 19:58

Record company cash grab?

You bet. Japanese music execs are notorious for this sort of thing.

One of the current trends is for pop/rock acts to release 2-3 different versions of a single, each with a different bonus track.
22.08.2014 - 20:51
Vombatus
Potorro
Unecessary even if it will probably be nice as the original is super duper good. I wish it helps the band remember how to play proper power metal too.
22.08.2014 - 22:20
Wukk

I don't know how I feel about this. It helps that they're aware that they're not teenagers anymore, because I'd much rather hear skilfully reworked vocal lines than Tony attempting Blank File and Destruction Preventer fifteen years on. Or do it anyway and tack those on as bonus tracks

I'd like to see how this turns out, because of my positive bias towards this band. But if Manowar's rerecordings are anything to go by, this could be bad. Also, they've already reworked three of the songs on Ecliptica :S
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator
22.08.2014 - 22:40
FeskarN

As some people already said this feels unessesary.. Ecliptica has a great sound and mixing for being a debut album.
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
22.08.2014 - 23:44
Sword_Chant

I'm quite interested in it, since I didn't have all of the original Ecliptica songs, then again they might bodge the new version up... they'd be better off working on more new material to be honest.
23.08.2014 - 03:05
iMorphball

Don't care if it's unnecessary, I'll check it out.
23.08.2014 - 03:11
Ilham
Giant robot
I just realised this album wasn't titled "Epiliptica".
23.08.2014 - 03:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
It's funny because epilepsy.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.08.2014 - 03:50
DragonSavior X10

Finally, Sonata does a Power Metal album.
23.08.2014 - 07:20
mikeprado30

Not so offtopic, but how I wish that bands like Dark Moor or Blind Guardian re-record their debut albums (specially Dark Moor, cause Shadowland had so lame production, but the music was great).
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
23.08.2014 - 07:33
The Evergreen

Written by DragonSavior X10 on 23.08.2014 at 03:50

Finally, Sonata does a Power Metal album.

Truth... Lol...
I think that the production of Ecliptics could use some work, so my response is:
Shut up and take my money!
23.08.2014 - 08:14
Stunning Cactus

C'mon, guys. Imagine being in a band for over a decade. Having grown so much and changed quite the same, wouldn't you want to attempt rerecording your old material, just for shits and gigs? I bet they had a blast doing this and I can't wait to hear how it sounds.
23.08.2014 - 08:56
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

A little off topic, but: I thought Pariah's Child was a fantastic album. One of their best releases. It's a shame that so many people will overlook and be pre-determined to dislike it, because they are really missing out on a gem of an album.

IMO, and I know this will shock people, but I think Ecliptica is their worst album by FAR. The songs just aren't as catchy, the songwriting isn't as complex, and Tony's vocals sound weak (despite hitting the high notes). Maybe this re-released version can turn me into a fan of the album...
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
24.08.2014 - 15:29
BlankFile

15 years ago... its seems like it was yesterday i started listening to this band from the beggining. I was 15 back then, now im 30! Time really passes by so fast. About this re-recording of Ecliptica, i think it´s an interesting ideia to launch again this amazing debut álbum, now with a different vibe and production. Hope it goes well.
24.08.2014 - 22:46
juanopereira

I think it was not necessary to re-record the album but I hope when they do it they remember how good power metal should be played and start making good albums or at least better than the las ones (except The days of grays).
24.08.2014 - 23:07
andreosokin
SOUNDERY
I'd buy I Can't Dance!
24.08.2014 - 23:19
Lord_Regnier

Never saw the point in re-recordings. Re-mixing and re-mastering can be good in a few cases but re-recording is unnecessary.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
05.09.2014 - 14:26
Wukk

I'd forgotten about this. After playing the original Ecliptica again I can't wait to see what they've done with it. I'm really surprised they decided to do this, mainly because of the questionable standard of English in some of the lyrics and the fact that Tony surely must be sick of FullMoon by now :s

They play the songs well live though, if that's any indication of what this will be like.
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator

Hits total: 3160 | This month: 7