04. Death-Hymn
05. Shaman
06. Trial Of Past
07. Lengsel
08. Salva Me
09. Song
10. In Mist Shrouded
11. Oceana

The 3rd and The Mortal's debut album, Tears Laid In Earth, is one of most underrated albums in metal history. Not only because it influenced a lot of metal bands back then, but also because of it's unique and original sound, songwriting quality, the sweet melancholic atmosphere and the inspiring voice of Kari Rueslåtten. It isn't that kind of music you can listen to any time. It requires attention to every detail, and the reward is granted; a journey to the deepest and the darkest emotions you ever had, and this album makes it easier and more meaningful.

The atmosphere is ambient, dark and progressive doom metal, filled with sweet melancholy, they made a great work in making such calm but cold, dark but majestic, consistent and deep emotions, and the gentle voice of Kari Rueslåtten evokes a lot of emotions as much as the music did. As to the music, they used the varied range of the sound (the doomish, progressive, blues, post-rock etc.) for it's own good; a similar mix of Opeth's old progressive sound, but not the same, making a smooth killer atmosphere varied from heavy parts to more soft and mellow ones in total harmony.

The genre they play is an innovative mix between doom and dark progressive metal and a lot of jazzy post-metal influences, they were the first in the metal scene to create such an original formula which was nearly impossible to duplicate, and giving the quality of both the mix and the production of the album, you will find sometimes it's hard to believe that album was produced in 1995.

The most beautiful aspect of the album beside the sorrowful atmosphere is their dynamic songwriting, as most songs in albums start with a doomish, strong riff then turn to calm progressively jazzy atmospheres, where Kari Rueslåtten often sings, then swiftly back to a doom sound (like in "Death-Hymn" ) and they shift the mood with complete harmony, sometimes infusing the two styles together so that it's hard to distinguish between them.

Finally, this album is a gem and a must have to any prog, doom, post-metal and generally any metal fan. This album is all that you need on quite lonely nights, where you loose yourself and, beside all of that, it never grows old.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 10
Production: 9

Written by advent | 24.08.2014

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 84 users
25.08.2014 - 03:16
Rating: 9
kvtie-pie

I couldn't agree more with the review. This album is a masterpiece.
04.09.2014 - 06:22
Rating: 10
Asunder

Classic that never grows old. The atmosphere and vocals are just perfect. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl00eJOfEUQ
13.08.2018 - 23:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
This review is awesome, I agree 100% what you said, and its simply briliant, such music dont born so often and never dies if it born. Its simply as good barel aged stout, good aritocrat whisky and good hand made cigar mix in one, its passion. Amazing album. To understand it you should feel Scandinavia and remeber how it was in pre internet days. In sipartion came
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 3301 | This month: 7