3 users:
Band: Craang
Album: To The Estimated Size Of The Universe
Release date: May 2014

01. Slo Forward Jam
02. Butterfly
03. Magnolia
04. The Meteorian

Though a lot of good recent psych comes from the US and the European north, the Mediterranean is coming up with some fine examples as well. Worshippers of sweepingly heavy pysch rock jams laden with fuzz reverb and metallic angularities need this first bit from Craang, more stoner voyages courtesy of Greece. Their debut EP holds four quarters of a trip, which equates to exactly one trip. Whoa, that just blew my mind.

The doom paced movements of To The Estimated Size Of The Universe are jagged and suitably rough around the edges, the propulsions perpetuating potent promulgation of riffs without patent pretentions? I should probably lay off the alliteration? pffft. Pure power spread across the very opposite of parsimonious jams, as the first would lead one to realise with its simple yet entirely descriptive title "Slo Forward Jam." On and on they go, all aspiring to potentially achieve the same purpose; particularly pounding, perhaps somewhat plodding, rhythmic particles partaking of a predetermined approach, which is one that persists and doesn't let up, much like my present preference for the letter P.

To put it more plainly, this first recording from the band drags a fair bit. The promise is there, but it's all rather basic in presentation. The song writing follows simplistic patterns, but it does deliver upon their built-up construction in the end. Introducing further psychedelic components and segments into the equation would enhance things, and working them more fundamentally into the compositions would make the recording seem less bare-bones than it is. It does afford an element of a droning backdrop in the astronomically oriented and fifteen-minute enduring closer "The Meteorian." The vocals used throughout the record are especially effective when it comes to breaking the monotony here, as their sparsity in comparison to the density of instrumentation create points of emphasis to which the listener is more likely to latch onto.

This EP demonstrates all the necessary foundations for crafting great heavy psych, down to an eye-catching cover, but requires additional features to better distinguish Craang's sound.

Try it out for size.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 7

Written on 28.08.2014 by R'Vannith enjoys music, he's hoping you do too.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 85 users
28.08.2014 - 13:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I need to "pee" after reading that.

I'll try this if there's psychedelic music involved, and that cover certainly appeals to me.

I hope I'm not the only person to think of this when I saw the name...

28.08.2014 - 16:23
Rupert

Hahaha I totally forgot about that guy.
28.08.2014 - 16:24
Rating: 7
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Guest on 28.08.2014 at 13:06

I need to "pee" after reading that.

I'll try this if there's psychedelic music involved, and that cover certainly appeals to me.

I hope I'm not the only person to think of this when I saw the name...

TMNT came to my mind as well when I saw the name, I'm not sure if that's what inspired it though.
28.08.2014 - 18:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
This is fucking awesome. Would probably score it a full point higher personally, but I agree with everything you mention in your review. Thanks for bringing these guys some attention, they deserve it.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.08.2014 - 22:56
J. N.
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 28.08.2014 at 13:06
http://news.toyark.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2013/09/Ninja-Turtles-Classics-Krang-Shredder.jpg

He was awesome in Mad Max and Total Recall.
28.08.2014 - 22:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 28.08.2014 at 22:56

He was awesome in Mad Max and Total Recall.

...open your mind....
30.08.2014 - 03:57
LiquidSmoke
Account deleted
This is good. Thanks for putting it on the map here.

Hits total: 3935 | This month: 11