Metal Storm logo
Slayer - Back In The Studio

The thrash legends Slayer are back in the studio to record the 11th album of their career. World Painted Blood, their latest output, came out already five years ago. Tentatively set for release in early 2015, this new record will be the first since guitarist Jeff Hanneman's passing and since drummer Paul Bostaph rejoined after Dave Lombardo was kicked off the band. The band has shared some pictures from the studio sessions. Check them out!

The album will be released on Nuclear Blast Records through the band's own label imprint, closing out a 28-year relationship with Rick Rubin and American Recordings.

Photos: Andrew Stuart Photography

Now all you can do is wait to hear the final result. Meanwhile, you can always listen to the new song "Implode" released earlier this year as a foretaste.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Slayer
Posted: 31.08.2014 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 50   Visited by: 248 users
31.08.2014 - 12:29
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Hm... lets see whose album will be Worse. New Slayer, new Metallica or latest Megadeth...
31.08.2014 - 13:42
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Written by Hex_Omega on 31.08.2014 at 12:29

Hm... lets see whose album will be Worse. New Slayer, new Metallica or latest Megadeth...

...And latest Anthrax. See, The Big 4 is actually the Big Sh*t...
----
31.08.2014 - 14:37
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by qlacs on 31.08.2014 at 13:42

Anthrax was always easily the weakest from The Big 4 for me. Testament, Exodus or Overkill also deserve to be in The Big 4, probably more than Anthrax.
31.08.2014 - 14:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Hex_Omega on 31.08.2014 at 14:37

Anthrax was always easily the weakest from The Big 4 for me. Testament, Exodus or Overkill also deserve to be in The Big 4, probably more than Anthrax.

Do we really have to go over what the Big 4 stands for, once again?

None of those bands deserve to be in the Big 4 since they aren't as big as the ones in the Big 4. A, M, M, and S have sold way way more albums than those you mentioned. Anthrax was huge. Hell they even appeared in Married With Children
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.08.2014 - 15:13
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.08.2014 at 14:54

None of those bands deserve to be in the Big 4 since they aren't as big as the ones in the Big 4. A, M, M, and S have sold way way more albums than those you mentioned. Anthrax was huge. Hell they even appeared in Married With Children

I remember that episode with Anthrax As you said -> Anthrax was huge, but is it still huge? Do they still deserve to be 'awarded' like that? IMO not anymore but this is just my personal opinion. I might not be very objective since I never liked their music that much
31.08.2014 - 15:14
Purge41
Maybe you think they are not the biggest 4 but they are big thats for sure.You cant judge just because they wanted to tour together under that name
31.08.2014 - 15:51
Sanderkill

Obviously it will be Super Collider. The new Metallica and Slayer songs are great, and after listening dozens of times to World Painted Blood and Death Magnetic I truly think that they still has it (a thing that I definitely can't say about Dave Mustaine).
After their 2013 and 2014 great tours I expect for an amazing Slayer album. Paul is a great drummer, Tom's voice sounds at it's best since the 80's and Gary and King are amazing guitarist. There's no reason for this album to fail.
31.08.2014 - 16:29
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Hex_Omega on 31.08.2014 at 15:13
IMO not anymore but this is just my personal opinion.

It's not a "reward". Like Marcel said, the label relates to the sales and popularity of the bands, not the quality. In a lot of people's opinions The Big 4 aren't The Best 4, but a lot of people don't seem to understand the reason behind the label anyway. In spite of your opinion, Anthrax is still a very popular band - performing at Sonisphere (with The Big 4), co-headlining Mayhem Festival, and while I'm regurgitating a bunch of info from Wikipedia I might as well point out that Worship Music is one of their most financially successful releases since the band formed.

Enough about that crap though. Hopefully new Slayer doesn't disappoint. The new lineup might bring with it some fresh ideas.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.08.2014 - 16:56
Mattybu
Guys the REAL big 4 of Trash Metal should have TESTAMENT \m/ OVERKILL \m/ \m/ \m/ hail overkill the REAL TRASH METAL unlinke theose poser sellout poser s and it would have EOXUDUS Real TRUEtrash metal \m/ 666

Really though, I think they could have gotten a better picture of Kerry King than one of him sitting around doing nothing. We know he has a tattoo on his head. Even though Slayer is probably my favourite band it's hard to get excited for this lineup putting and album out
31.08.2014 - 18:55
Gothmog_Motsham
HOLY SHIT JEFF HANNEMANN DIED!!?????
31.08.2014 - 19:35
Sanderkill
Written by Gothmog_Motsham on 31.08.2014 at 18:55

HOLY SHIT JEFF HANNEMANN DIED!!?????

Welcome to 2014
31.08.2014 - 19:44
Diverge
This album could be a disaster. That initial track isn't looking so hot.
31.08.2014 - 20:15
Opethian
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.08.2014 at 14:54

I remember that episode haha, sick
31.08.2014 - 20:17
Opethian
I say at this point its all about album sales. They know their 'TRUE' fans will always be there to buy and accept their recycled garbage. My opinion, thats all ...
31.08.2014 - 21:34
Lord_Regnier
I expected much worse from this song ("Implode"). A bit slow for Slayer, but not bad.
Though, to tell the truth, I never really cared for Slayer after "Seasons In The Abyss".
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
31.08.2014 - 22:28
mikeprado30
MetalStorm, the place where people most criticize and complain about albums instead enjoy'em... (any resemblance with old-man attitudes is NOT coincidence )
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
31.08.2014 - 23:35
Lord_Regnier
Written by mikeprado30 on 31.08.2014 at 22:28

MetalStorm, the place where people most criticize and complain about albums instead enjoy'em... (any resemblance with old-man attitudes is NOT coincidence )

Are you talking about me?
----
31.08.2014 - 23:40
Sepulnation
Written by Hex_Omega on 31.08.2014 at 14:37

Totally agree...
----
fuck shit up!
31.08.2014 - 23:47
Lord_Regnier
To end this discussion about "The Big 4" once and for all:

This is NOT a matter of deserving to be in The Big 4. It is purely and strictly a matter of sales, no more no less. It has nothing to do with quality. Those bands were the biggest at the time, that's all.
It doesn't mean that they were the best.

And it's only about AMERICAN bands, so don't bring bands like Kreator, Destruction or Sodom in this context.

Questioning "who should be in the Big 4" is like trying to deny that Metallica are the biggest Metal band at the moment and Iron Maiden are the second. This is a fact, not an opinion.
As some of you already know, I've never ever liked Metallica, even in the 80's and, as far as Iron Maiden are concerned, I like only their stuff until SSOASS. As much as I dislike both bands current incarnations and find them immensely overrated, I can't change the facts. They are the biggest Metal bands.
----
01.09.2014 - 01:27
mikeprado30
Written by Lord_Regnier on 31.08.2014 at 23:35

Are you talking about me?

My comment is about everyone from who is EXTREMELY RARE to find a fairly possitive comment about an album and you almost always read complaints, complaints, and more complaints, and complaints over those complaints... I don't know... In my case I enjoy the veteran bands' old and new stuff, and I love discover new bands, and even when my tastes are more towards Heavy/Power/Folk Metal, I enjoy very much other sub-genres (Black, Prog, Death, Thrash, etc.).

Sometimes is hard to understand what is the thing so much people wants about an Metal (any sub-genre) album.

If you ask me, I don't care so much about originality, technics and that stuff (maybe the production could have something in my final opinion). If I like the album, if my ears found it nice to hear, it will be deceiver of my liking.
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
01.09.2014 - 02:05
Slayfex
Am i the only one who is really excited about this album and actually like their more new records like World Painted Blood or God Hates Us All?
01.09.2014 - 02:09
Lord_Regnier
Written by mikeprado30 on 01.09.2014 at 01:27

My comment is about everyone from who is EXTREMELY RARE to find a fairly possitive comment about an album and you almost always read complaints, complaints, and more complaints, and complaints over those complaints... I don't know... In my case I enjoy the veteran bands' old and new stuff, and I love discover new bands, and even when my tastes are more towards Heavy/Power/Folk Metal, I enjoy very much other sub-genres (Black, Prog, Death, Thrash, etc.).

Sometimes is hard to understand what is the thing so much people wants about an Metal (any sub-genre) album.

If you ask me, I don't care so much about originality, technics and that stuff (maybe the production could have something in my final opinion). If I like the album, if my ears found it nice to hear, it will be deceiver of my liking.

I get it. I consider myself as a critical person but still, I enjoy lots of stuff, old and new.
I too love discovering new bands. My tastes are mostly limited to Black, Thrash and some Death Metal, so I'm trying to avoid commenting on Powermetal, prog, etc since my comments would be mostly negative. I prefer to ignore the genres I don't like nowadays.

I don't really care about originality. I appreciate it as a bonus but not everything can (and has to) be original. I appreciate technicality but it is not a must. What matters the most to me is atmosphere and the feelings and emotions music can give to me.
----
01.09.2014 - 04:31
Lord_Regnier
Written by deadone on 01.09.2014 at 02:50

With regards to Slayer...I thought WPB is their 2nd weakest album after GHUA. Christ Illussion is 3rd weakest. But even then I have hope they'll come out and kick our arses. I think they need to branch out though again - the last 3 have seen a real dry spell in terms of creativity and diversity.

Another thing I really hate in Slayer since "Diabolus In Musica" is how fucking stupid lyrics are (an appropriate choice of words here, I believe, since they use the words fucking, killing, murder and insane in nearly every song). Now, I've been listening to Slayer since the 80's, so I'm well aware that their lyrics are not always exactly genius and that violent lyrics have always been part of Slayer, but it is just ridiculous nowadays. It seems their only goal is to insert as many violent words as possible in every paragraph, no matter if it makes sense or if it is only an enumeration of atrocities without any meaning.

Just compare Slayer's lyrics to Kreator's, for example. Slayer's lyrics make Kreator's ones sound like Shakespeare in comparison.
----
01.09.2014 - 05:13
Lord_Regnier
Written by deadone on 01.09.2014 at 04:53

Kreator's lyrics are just as shit - hate the world, destroy the world, rinse repeat.

I disagree. In general, Kreator's lyrics have much more of a political/social meaning. Slayer's lyrics are more gratuitous and meaningless.
With Kreator, I usually can get the message. Not with Slayer.
----
01.09.2014 - 05:33
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Lyrically I'd also go Slayer, "Angel Of Death" has been stuck in my head since I was 12. Not that it really matters though. Slayer hasn't made a good album in 30 years in my opinion.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
01.09.2014 - 06:08
Lord_Regnier
Written by deadone on 01.09.2014 at 05:21

In fact most Thrash bands had shit lyrics.

Agreed.
----
01.09.2014 - 10:51
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by Lord_Regnier on 01.09.2014 at 05:13

I disagree. In general, Kreator's lyrics have much more of a political/social meaning. Slayer's lyrics are more gratuitous and meaningless.
With Kreator, I usually can get the message. Not with Slayer.

Random lyric selection from Kreator:
"Death to the world no religion can save
Mankind from falling into bottomless graves
Tschernobyl horror oh the great burning light
Behold catastrophes as Heaven and Hell collide
Death to the world
Embodiment of all demise, the whole human race shall die"

No explanation needed..

Anyway I'm surprised that so many people still anticipate Slayer releases, they haven't really done anything noteworthy since the 1990... Actually now that I look back through the comments, it's pretty much just people arguing over the Big 4 an shit... hmm..

And thank god(or Satan, your choice) for that. If you don't like it go to one of the major metalzine sites where everyone fawns over every new major release.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
01.09.2014 - 11:33
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by mikeprado30 on 01.09.2014 at 01:27

My comment is about everyone from who is EXTREMELY RARE to find a fairly possitive comment about an album and you almost always read complaints, complaints, and more complaints, and complaints over those complaints... I don't know...

I understand your point of view. Let me explain. In my case it is very simple. Last Slayer album I enjoyed was Seasons In The Abyss, last Metallica album I enjoyed was Black Album (however Load isn't as bad as the rating on MS says), last Megadeth album I enjoyed was Countdown To Extinction. So as you see I have the right to be very sceptical about their new albums. Am I too demanding? I don't think so. You won't see my comment like this one here about new Devin Townsend album or Lascaille's Shroud or Haken or even about Opeth. This is metal forum and we have democracy (some may disagree hehe). Everyone have their rights to express his opinion about artist/album and it doesn't have to be always a positive opinion. But I agree with you that sometimes it might be irritating and I get your point and thats why I wrote this.
01.09.2014 - 13:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Boxcar Willy on 01.09.2014 at 05:33

Slayer hasn't made a good album in 30 years in my opinion.

Mentions Angel Of Death yet thinks last good Slayer album is Show No Mercy, yeah right.

Now stop trying to act all cool and shit, since you don't pull it off at all.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.09.2014 - 16:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
From what I remember Tanner doesn't listen to or like much thrash, it's not surprising he doesn't like Slayer.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Hits total: 3806 | This month: 11