02. Narrow Minded Bastards
03. Bed Of Bitches
04. Tigress Of Siberia
05. Lost Lord
06. Corpauthority
07. Drowned In Leaves
08. Eagles Rising
09. Druid's Ritual

Here's a real moral dilemma for you: How do you assess an album that's unbelievably derivative, but is absolutely cram-packed with such juicy-ass riffs? On one hand, I want to scoff at a band as un-fresh as The Graviators, but God damn, they do what they do so freakin' well.

It's stoner-doom of the 'Sabbath/Pentagram-worshiping variety. Think of the basic riffwork from Orchid, the vocals from Witchcraft, spiced with some touches of Acid Witch trippy-ness via the Hammond & Wurlitzer keys. Of course, a mix like this has to be delivered in that distinct analog sound.

Yeah, it's all been done before - but never quite like Motherload. It reaches eye-watering levels of epicness and grandeur, without cutting back on any of the baser doom-riff-fests. "Lost Lord" is a particular stand-out: This track is essentially a ten minute jam sesh'. Normally, that screams out "wankers", but they somehow manage to turn it into a journey through Deep Purple, Santana and Hendrix territory, making it possibly the most captivating part of this already infectious album.

Motherload stomps over a lot of ground, derivative or not. Aside from the riveting guitar work, what makes this album impressive is just how smooth everything flows together. Sure, the songs clock in at a hefty average of eight minutes a piece, but you're not listening to the same song from end to end. Subtle prog pieces slip themselves in to act as beautiful little transitional elements. This is just well built, top to bottom.

If you hate any sort of retro-revivalism, stay the hell away from Motherload. If you can overcome that little issue, or even revel in it, then yes; Motherload truly is a motherload of an album.

Written on 03.09.2014 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 224 users
03.09.2014 - 13:35
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Sounds like a very wholesome and complete bit of retro-work here, I'll definitely be checking this out asap.
03.09.2014 - 14:01
Lokaeda
Account deleted
Do you know how easy it is to drown yourself in leaves?

A very good album, and I'm pleased to see this band finally added to MS besides, the artwork is awesome!
03.09.2014 - 15:24
toxx
Supreme being
Yup, worth a listen this one!
03.09.2014 - 17:15
Lit.
Account deleted
Definitely gonna check this out.
03.09.2014 - 20:56
Hallford9000
Retro better than most of the real stuff. I got the same feeling when I listen to Vector.
03.09.2014 - 22:32
Rating: 10
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 03.09.2014 at 14:01

besides, the artwork is awesome!

Yeah, it's the only album I've purchased this year prior to reviewing it. The artwork was what originally grabbed me.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
03.09.2014 - 23:20
Mattybu
Sounds like a good album, I find it whack how many people these days worry more about the time period an album is released in than the quality of the music. If good shit is going into your earholes, good shit is going into your earholes, I say.
04.09.2014 - 07:33
Jan
Written by Mattybu on 03.09.2014 at 23:20

Sounds like a good album, I find it whack how many people these days worry more about the time period an album is released in than the quality of the music. If good shit is going into your earholes, good shit is going into your earholes, I say.

^ What he said.

Checked out a couple of songs, this is great, definitely on my to buy list.
04.09.2014 - 18:10
Shmyt
Thanks for putting this on my radar, checking it out now!
05.09.2014 - 09:32
EyeballPate
Its funny for me to hear people call the band Witchcraft 'retro'.

god i'm old.
05.09.2014 - 09:47
Rating: 10
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by EyeballPate on 05.09.2014 at 09:32

god i'm old.

I never said Witchcraft are retro...Just the style they play is.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
05.09.2014 - 11:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 05.09.2014 at 09:47

Written by EyeballPate on 05.09.2014 at 09:32

god i'm old.

I never said Witchcraft are retro...Just the style they play is.

Witchcraft are retro since they use styles or fashions from the recent past.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 5949 | This month: 15