09. Black Horn Of The Ram
10. Ouija
11. Atheist Ways
12. Cerebus
13. Sickened By The Sight Of Christ
14. Driving Out The Demons
15. Midnight Mass
16. Deathlehem

Ok, so I've been living alone for a month and nobody pays me a visit. This led me to use my time watching a shit-ton of movie classics I've never seen before because I'm lazy and uncultured. Evil Dead II from 1987 was one of them. Yeah, I know. I suck. Anyway, I had a point here? uuuh. Oh yeah! Nunslaughter also has its origins way back in 1987 and for some reason I never checked them out despite their huge discography and the whole thing sounding good? On paper, that is.

You see, I'm all down for the old, raw and no-bullshit marriage of death and thrash metal. Many bands, both veterans and newcomers, seem to do it nicely despite the genre being as original as, well? an old marriage. It just boils down to good songwriting and performance. Even within an unoriginal genre you can still shake things up a little with tempo changes, hooks, cowbell, etc. This is not the case here though and to think these guys have been around for nearly 3 decades... They truly are the extreme metal version of Korpiklaani.

The conflict I have is that I actually liked this album on the first run. Particularly during the first 2-3 songs. The riffs have that lovely morbid and chunky chainsaw sound with plenty of catchy and groovy moments. The drums, while nothing special, provide the essential blasting savagery and finally, the vocals are furious and in-your-face? But the whole thing just loses steam after the first couple of songs because it can only keep you pumped for that long.

It kind of makes sense now that they have way more EPs than full lengths in their discography and that the average song is barely over two minutes. Also, a double album? Even though the second part is a collection of songs from a handful of EPs and splits, it just adds to the fact that the poor dead horse was beaten beyond recognition. Everyone who enjoys their old school extreme metal should check this out though? if only for the first ten mins.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 4
Production: 8

Written on 04.09.2014 by A lazy reviewer but he is so cute you'd forgive him for it.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 66 users
06.09.2014 - 02:51
Ilham
Giant robot
Yeah, Nemslaughter being Nemslaughter. Saw them live some time ago, because the venue paid me in tickets rather than in real money for some job I did for them. I wish I could get those 15 euros back. It was exactly as you said, good for ten minutes.
06.09.2014 - 06:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I gave up on trying to like these guys after I enjoyed one of their demos or EPs that I don't remember. Tried a handful of other stuff and just... meh. Not even gonna bother with this one.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.08.2022 - 11:30
Rating: 9
SmolATAR

Fucking pussies, HAIL NUNSLAUGHTER!!! great album like the rest of them

Hits total: 2683 | This month: 10