05. Headlong Into Carnage
06. The Murderer's Pact
07. Funeral Cremation
08. Icepick Lobotomy
09. Vector Of Cruelty
10. Bloodstained Cement
11. Asphyxiate To Resuscitate
12. Hollowed Bodies

Ah, Cannibal Corpse. Back again with their familiar death metal embrace, heralded by some killer artwork. Let's dive in and see what lurks underneath the greasepaint.

A Skeletal Domain leads off with filler, an inadvisable tactic that primes the listener for a lukewarm experience. Where "Demented Aggression," "Priests Of Sodom," and "The Time To Kill Is Now" smartly introduced Torture, Evisceration Plague, and Kill, respectively, with memorable rhythms and riffs as powerful as a concrete baseball bat to the shins, A Skeletal Domain trots out in a wholly inoffensive manner. Cannibal Corpse really find their element halfway through "Kill Or Become," which ascends to a more lethal and appreciable plane of brutality at Corpsegrinder's first exhortations to "fire up the chainsaw."

The title track carries forward this new momentum for a few tracks until, as is the way of Cannibal Corpse, the songs start to slide back into the fog of generic pounding and snarling. While "The Murderer's Pact" and "Funeral Cremation" impress with their vicious aural assaults, the same cannot be said for tracks like "Bloodstained Cement" and "High Velocity Impact Splatter," which attempt to make waves with a bland bluntness.

A Skeletal Domain sounds very much like Torture Part II: Electric Boogaloo. Somehow, with the change in producers from Erik Rutan to Mark Lewis, the polished, sanded-down sound of Torture remains. It's not quite as complex or frantically riff-heavy as a lot of their previous albums, although Alex Webster as usual plugs away like a maniac at his bass underneath the streamlined chaos.

Perhaps not as strong as Torture, but very much of the same flavor, A Skeletal Domain takes its place next to the rest of Cannibal Corpse's discography as an inconsistent but overall worthwhile release. You can always count on Cannibal Corpse for some strong, solid death metal. It might not blow you away, but at least tracks like "Hollowed Bodies" demonstrate that they still have plenty of energy to burn and unpleasant ways in which to murder you.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 4
Production: 7

Written on 09.09.2014 by I'm the reviewer, and that means my opinion is correct.

Comments

Comments: 20   Visited by: 379 users
09.09.2014 - 06:01
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Sounds like Cannibal Corpse... Sooo not interesting in the slightest. Pass.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.09.2014 - 08:30
PēterisP

Copy paste copy paste copy paste and copy paste. I wonder if they sell 1000 copies of this garbage. Butchered at Birth is and will be my favorite CC album
----
Metalhead since 1987
09.09.2014 - 09:28
Rating: 7
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Well, I still enjoy Cannibal Corpse albums. I was pretty fond of Torture. I'll probably end up getting this.

...But yeah, judging from the review, its another Cannibal Corpse album. I wonder if reviews for their albums are even necessary at this point.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
09.09.2014 - 09:42
Stoned Crow

I'll have a review for the new Snickers bar I buy tomorrow. I hope it's just as nutty and nougatty as the one I had yesterday. *Note to Self: You do not like Snickers.
----
I'm very serious about not being serious.
09.09.2014 - 12:52
Rating: 8
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Can we stop the "Ah, [insert band name here]" intros... please?
09.09.2014 - 13:47
ComfortOfCowards

Cannibal Corpse got 4 points for originality??? they deserve 0 points for that aspect especially lyrically! musically they deserve 1 or 2! Death was the true KING of Death Metal that made incrediblle progress throughout it's 14 year lifespan! Cannibal Corpse is a childish gore band...i do not understand why they don't change at all! well fans let them to be repetitive by their support. Cannibal Corpse may be the most famous Death Metal band but they are definitely not the most talented DM band! Not even close!
09.09.2014 - 13:48
ComfortOfCowards

Written by PēterisP on 09.09.2014 at 08:30

Copy paste copy paste copy paste and copy paste. I wonder if they sell 1000 copies of this garbage. Butchered at Birth is and will be my favorite CC album

Exactly 0 points for creativity!
09.09.2014 - 15:47
Rating: 5
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
I honestly don't understand why people still listen to this band. They've done absolutely nothing different nor interesting in their career. You might as well just listen to Hammer Smashed Face on repeat
09.09.2014 - 19:48
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by Dangerboner on 09.09.2014 at 12:52

Can we stop the "Ah, [insert band name here]" intros... please?

I couldn't agree more. It's the epitome of lazy introductions. My original one was better, but I had to scrap it because it no longer made sense and by then I was too burnt out to think of anything more clever.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
09.09.2014 - 19:53
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Alex F on 09.09.2014 at 15:47

I honestly don't understand why people still listen to this band. They've done absolutely nothing different nor interesting in their career. You might as well just listen to Hammer Smashed Face on repeat

I honestly don't understand why you gettin' worked up over Cannibal Corpse. Yeah, they suck in originality department but ain't bad enough to neglect it. I still listen to CANNIBAL CORPSE and don't feel bored when discs like "Torture" or "Evisceration Plague" pops up on my pad. Your aversion doesn't imply on others, brother.
09.09.2014 - 19:59
Kinzoku

Written by Stoned Crow on 09.09.2014 at 09:42

I'll have a review for the new Snickers bar I buy tomorrow. I hope it's just as nutty and nougatty as the one I had yesterday. *Note to Self: You do not like Snickers.

This.
09.09.2014 - 22:32
Lit.
Account deleted
Quote:

A Skeletal Domain sounds very much like Torture Part II: Electric Boogaloo.

Interesting...

Quote:

Perhaps not as strong as Torture,

...And I'm gone.
10.09.2014 - 01:21
Lord_Regnier

Written by Alex F on 09.09.2014 at 15:47

If there's one thing about Metal I will never understand it's why people listen to and care for pointless stupid gore bands.

I'm a huge fan of extreme Metal myself and I'm sure some of my favorite bands are more extreme than Cannibal Corpse and I like some Death Metal but damn there are so many better and more interesting Metal bands than those boring gore bands who only spit their recycled garbage without any hint of intelligence.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
10.09.2014 - 01:27
MetalDoomMaster

Written by Lord_Regnier on 10.09.2014 at 01:21

If there's one thing about Metal I will never understand it's why people listen to and care for pointless stupid gore bands.

I'm a huge fan of extreme Metal myself and I'm sure some of my favorite bands are more extreme than Cannibal Corpse and I like some Death Metal but damn there are so many better and more interesting Metal bands than those boring gore bands who only spit their recycled garbage without any hint of intelligence.

Probably because some people like to just sit back and have fun once in a while without having to think or care about anything. Bands like this and equivalent movies are perfect for such things.
11.09.2014 - 15:21
heksiz

So... If a band changes the fans start complaining. If a band doesn't change the fans start complaining. That's what happens.
In my opinion CC should get out of their comfort zone and make something different.
12.09.2014 - 16:04
Absak

They have become like Bolt Thrower now except not nearly as good. It's the same exact album for 10 years now.
13.09.2014 - 03:19
Rating: 9
Rulatore

I usually like the reviews here, but this one... I don't know. I'm not that fan of CC, but saying "High Velocity Impact Splatter" is "inoffensive" was pretty offensive, really.

I'm liking this a lot
17.09.2014 - 11:24
ke ke

I've not listened to this album yet and I wont.Cause it seems to be just like other cannibal corpse albums.
17.09.2014 - 13:15
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by ke ke on 17.09.2014 at 11:24

I've not listened to this album yet and I wont.Cause it seems to be just like other cannibal corpse albums.

So you haven't listen to the record yet assuming it will sound just like another Cannibal Corpse album? Well, I need to learn something from you, sir.
03.10.2014 - 11:05
Nucky

Good album though, but nothing special.. Their best days were with Chris Barnes.. I prefer old CC over new one anyday, though I like CC new stuff also..

Hits total: 11027 | This month: 15