Metal Storm logo
Myrkur - Stream Entire Debut EP

By now, you have probably heard of Myrkur. Hailing from Denmark, this one-woman black metal project will release her debut, eponymous EP Myrkur on September 16th via Relapse Records. But why wait more? This week you can stream it in full via Pitchfork's Advance at this location.

According to the label, Myrkur "combines the rawness of second wave black metal bands like Ulver and Darkthrone with a natural sonic, ethereal beauty."

Would you agree with that description? Share your impressions of the EP.

Tracklist:

01. Ravnens Banner
02. Frosne Vind
03. Må Du Brænde i Helvede
04. Latvian Fegurö
05. Dybt i Skoven
06. Nattens Barn
07. Ulvesangen

Short film detailing concepts and elements of Myrkur:

Source: relapse.com
Band profile: Myrkur
Posted: 10.09.2014 by BloodTears

Comments page 3 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 71   Visited by: 108 users
11.09.2014 - 16:30
Doge of Venice
Written by Mattybu on 11.09.2014 at 02:54

Written by Doge of Venice on 10.09.2014 at 16:51

As for the whole "ermagerd, woman!" thing, well, I've got a weird view on that, I think. Though I should point out it's when a band is one-woman band or an all female, or majority female, band. Even if the music isn't great or 100% original I think they should be given publicity - purely so that other women see it and think, 'Fantastic, we don't just have to be the lead vocalist who shows a tonne of cleavage!".

(even though these days it obviously isn't, but let's pretend we're in the ideal world and that is the case i.e. quality stuff should get publicity)

If we were in an ideal world, then I wouldn't need to hold the opinion that I do and I wouldn't feel the need to give publicity to female musicians any more than I would male musicians. I haven't been talking ideal world scenarios.

Written by Mattybu on 11.09.2014 at 02:54

I understand what you are saying about having more female artists out there inspiring people, but to be honest, the whole point of the equal opportunity stuff to me is that women are trying to show they are capable of doing the same stuff men are (and they are capable, in fact they excel in areas like sandwich-making and cleaning***). The way I see it if someone is actually a strong person with a passion for music they shouldn't need someone of a certain gender to inspire them, they should be inspired by the music and not need to be helped out by all the patronizing. And if their stuff is good, it gets attention, and if it's not, there should be an equal amount of people not giving a fuck about it. Hopefully you sort of understand what I'm saying.

I understand. And I agree. But the problem lies not in the women, but in metal culture. The idea, basically, of giving them more publicity is primarily to get more female bands into metal, because hopefully that would help 'breed' more quality bands and would gain women more acceptance in the metal culture (though I admit it has been getting betterer). But I do see what you are saying. It's mainly a problem with the community (as a whole, not just here) rather than the musicians.

My views and ideas probably wouldn't work, but still.

Written by angel. on 11.09.2014 at 09:43

Ilham and Doge of Venice, came back here to say I guess I misread your comments, apologies.

That's no bother. I (we?) kind of realised you had, so I tried not to be too angry.
11.09.2014 - 16:44
Ilham
Giant robot
No worries, as Doge said, it was obviously a misunderstanding. No hard feelings .
11.09.2014 - 20:08
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
:')

Rejoins are always cute to watch
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
12.09.2014 - 00:33
BreadGod
Account deleted
I just listened to this. I didn't like it. It reminds me of Alcest, and I hate Alcest.
12.09.2014 - 10:28
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
I'd like to congradulate Ilham and Doge of Venice for their tireless promotion of this band. If they hadn't kept commenting on this and getting it to the hot topics part of the front page, I'd would probably never have heard of this band.
5 songs into it. Is anyone else getting a Celtic Frost/Triptykon vibe from this? A bit of MurkRat, too. Plus Alcest. (A Tom Warrior/VKS Cattleprod/Neige colaberation?)
I liked the 6th track.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
13.09.2014 - 01:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Jesus H Christ what the f happened here. Girl plays music. Move on.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.09.2014 - 02:45
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.09.2014 at 01:06

Girl plays music.

But that's worth an entire page of discussions about why it isn't worth discussing.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
19.09.2014 - 21:46
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Yeah regardless of whether a girl or a guy or a wookie made it, it still isn't any good.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.09.2014 - 00:10
Chobo_jokeR
Written by Boxcar Willy on 19.09.2014 at 21:46

Yeah regardless of whether a girl or a guy or a wookie made it, it still isn't any good.

Are you implying wookies don't have genders?
22.09.2014 - 00:17
LordHypnos
Account deleted
Written by Chobo_jokeR on 20.09.2014 at 00:10

What's a wookie? A cookie with a "w"?
22.09.2014 - 17:29
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Chobo_jokeR on 20.09.2014 at 00:10

----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 3288 | This month: 6