Metal Storm logo
Sonata Arctica - Stream Single From Re-Recorded 'Ecliptica' Album

After releasing Pariah's Child earlier this year, Finnish melodic metal heroes Sonata Arctica just put out the digital single "Kingdom For A Heart" from their recently re-recorded debut album Ecliptica, which was released 15 years ago. Check out the song below and tell us if you are pleased with this re-recorded version.

Commented keyboardist Henrik Klingenberg: "When deciding on a single for the upcoming release of the re-recorded Ecliptica we wanted to have an upbeat song that would represent overall sound of the album and since 'Unopened' was the first Sonata Arctica single in history we thought that it was time to pick another song. 'Kingdom For A Heart' has been a live favourite for years and I think it showcases the energy and power that Sonata Arctica first became known for."

This new version will be released on October 24th (Europe), October 27 (UK) and November 11th (US) under the banner Ecliptica - Revisited: 15th Anniversary Edition on Nuclear Blast. You can pre-order your copy over here.

Tracklist:

01. Blank File
02. My Land
03. 8th Commandment
04. Replica
05. Kingdom For A Heart
06. Fullmoon
07. Letter To Dana
08. UnOpened
09. Picturing The Past
10. Destruction Preventer
11. I Can't Dance (Genesis cover) (bonus track)

Source: nuclearblast.de
Band profile: Sonata Arctica
Posted: 12.09.2014 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 10   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 190 users
12.09.2014 - 16:44
Warman
Erotic Stains
Sounds like the original. But worse. So I'd rather listen to the 15 year old song. Talk about an album which really didn't need to be re-recorded. Not that I can think of any album which needs to be. An album is a representation of the band and the band at that time. Although there are some re-recorded tracks by bands here and there which I really enjoy, sometimes more than the original, I really don't feel the need for it. And as I said, especially not when that original album is "Ecliptica".
----
12.09.2014 - 18:13
WinterMadness
It sounds the same yet somehow different...thinner or something. Maybe it's just because I know it's re-recorded, or maybe they're putting their new more minimalist spin on it but I agree with the others, this didn't really need to be re-recorded. For a debut album, the quality was fine. Way better than most debut albums you hear from metal bands. That said, I'll probably pick it up, the artwork is nice.
12.09.2014 - 20:05
IcePickLodger
I totally agree. this was needless work. why should I buy this CD? sounds fine, but I have the original Ecliptica and it's good enough! there is nothing new or special on 2014 album...except the bonus track. I am curious about their new stuff, not this...
12.09.2014 - 20:43
moe5512
Agree with just about everything. I sounds good but it's not really that different from the original. I listened the the old version trying to find any difference. Well musically quite the same but imo the newer version lack the attitude the original had
13.09.2014 - 00:11
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Yeah, I just dont' see the point of this either. I enjoyed the tune but I don't find it different enough from the original for me to buy the album. The bonus track doesn't intrigue me at all.
13.09.2014 - 03:53
Stunning Cactus
I will hold out my interest for some of the other tracks. This could still be worth buying. But generally, I agree with the comments here. This song sounds almost identical to its original conception back in 1999.
13.09.2014 - 13:37
Ruchesko
Well that was...somehow shallower musically. Can't really knock the band for wanting to make a few extra euros, mind - blame the Japanese label execs.

As they were the band that got me into metal, I must say I do miss the classic Sonata sound. Still, I'd much sooner have Tony keep on plugging away until he hits upon something new that sounds great rather than rehashing himself to pander to the diehards. Maybe let the band share the songwriting duties next time: "My Selene" worked out quite well.
13.09.2014 - 14:26
AJPXIV
Written by Ruchesko on 13.09.2014 at 13:37

Well that was...somehow shallower musically. Can't really knock the band for wanting to make a few extra euros, mind - blame the Japanese label execs.

As they were the band that got me into metal, I must say I do miss the classic Sonata sound. Still, I'd much sooner have Tony keep on plugging away until he hits upon something new that sounds great rather than rehashing himself to pander to the diehards. Maybe let the band share the songwriting duties next time: "My Selene" worked out quite well.

Having the rest of the band join in with the writing might lead to an interesting mix of styles. Henrik's side-project, Mental Care Foundation, are (or were) kind of a Pantera-lite style thrashy thing, and I think Wildfire proved that Sonata can go heavier with good results. Elias has released two songs with vocals that I know of, one of them actually featuring Tony, and they ended up being melodic rock. So there's scope there for them to go in a number of directions with those two.

They have clearly tried to experiment with different sounds, from Unia onwards (well, Reckoning Night is quite a bit different from what came before it), but whilst I've enjoyed The Days of Grays, Stones Grow Her Name and Pariah's Child there's always been a sense of "let's try this and see if it works" to some of the songs, as opposed to a "yeah, this is definitely going to sound good" feel.

As a band that seems as though they're searching for a new sound that works for them, it feels strange that they've chosen to go back to their first album, and re-record it in exactly the same way, with minimal changes. I'd much rather they just left it alone and tried to move forwards, but if they have to re-record an old album I'd like them to change it up a bit. Try the songs in different styles, that sort of thing. Otherwise it seems a bit pointless to me.
13.09.2014 - 23:42
Creativinity
Written by Warman on 12.09.2014 at 16:44

Sounds like the original. But worse. So I'd rather listen to the 15 year old song. Talk about an album which really didn't need to be re-recorded. Not that I can think of any album which needs to be. An album is a representation of the band and the band at that time. Although there are some re-recorded tracks by bands here and there which I really enjoy, sometimes more than the original, I really don't feel the need for it. And as I said, especially not when that original album is "Ecliptica".

That's not always true. Take, for example, Nightwish's "Dark Passion Play." Can you imagine how haunting "The Poet's Pendulum" or how hardcore "Bye Bye Beautiful" could sound with Floor's voice?
20.09.2014 - 08:03
The Evergreen
Hmmm.... chunkier guitars, especially on the lead tone... livelier, more emotive, vocals mixed closer to the front; heavier bass; tighter soloing; darker lead synths, crisper harpsichord sounds...
To me, this was worth it and sounds much more mature. Not better, just more grown up.
I love it!

Hits total: 3333 | This month: 6