Reviewer:

15 users:
Band: Irreversible
Album: Surface
Release date: September 2014

01. Degloving Injury
02. Side Effects Of Living
03. (Husk) Corpse Pose

Atlanta, Georgia's Irreversible mark a return to the glorious past with their latest release Surface. Gone are the hardcore/alternative elixirs from their last two releases, Ashes and Thorn. Back are the post metal capstones from Sins and Light. I love the reinvention. Not that Ashes and Thorn are bad albums, in fact, they are quite good, but that's all they are - good. Irreversible are at their best when they are playing expansive, dynamic and mystifying post metal. Surface is another trophy for Irreversible's mantle and a top-tier listen for atmospheric metal enthusiasts wanting spacey and musing yet thick and supple post metal.

Musically, it's the most diversified Irreversible album to date because Surface uses every post metal trait in the book. Beautiful noodle-y guitar motifs, crunching layered riffs and minimalist but bruising drum work are at the epicenter. Selective programming and electronics elevate the sound high into the atmosphere and sparse vocal content and some samples facilitate within the music. Post metal's greatest asset is it's ability to sound soothing for minutes and then build towards full blown amplification with oppressive instruments in full force - and although crescendo-style songs are pedestrian among bands in this genre, Irreversible are masters of this craft. The production is done well, the bass is especially cavernous, and the vocals, a potpourri of spoken word, clean singing and sludge-style yelling, are rooted precisely beneath the music. The copious atmosphere is ominous and totally disarming.

Yes, I am an Irreversible fan boy, and although they probably aren't on anyone's A-list of post metal bands, this should have no bearing on the willingness of post metal devotees to give this album a diligent listen. With 3 songs and 40 minutes of music, Surface begins in near silence and then slowly swells to synth-led ambiance to a massive barrier of bedlam and mayhem. Expressions of both mournful endlessness and immense satisfaction in beauty and human existence signifies Surface's highs and lows. It effortlessly delves into earthly depths and ascends celestial heights. Irreversible have returned to their prime with distinction and polarity.

Check out the band's Bandcamp page for a great view of the sweet album artwork and free download.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 18.09.2014 by Be gentle, I never said I was any good at this!

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 149 users
18.09.2014 - 16:53
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
As I kinda already said to you, usually I don't care for much post metal, but this really intrigues me from your description. I wouldn't typically associate "ominous" with this style, or "sludge-style yelling" for that matter, so I'll definitely be giving this a peek. You have a way of writing that a lot of people noticed with my style when I first started out: the ability to make people want to check something out that they ordinarily wouldn't be into, which is a definite strength. Great review, keep at em soldier
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
18.09.2014 - 17:02
Ilham
Giant robot
Sludge-style yelling is typical of post-metal. After all that's where post-metal comes from. Someone should correct me if I'm wrong, even if I'm confident that is one of the things that defines post-metal.
18.09.2014 - 18:07
BloodTears
ANA-thema
This sounds great! I'm betting I'm gonna like this one.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
19.09.2014 - 02:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Ilham on 18.09.2014 at 17:02
Sludge-style yelling is typical of post-metal.

Pretty much, and it's a big reason why so many people (reviewers) had a hard time deciding what was post-metal and what was "atmospheric sludge". Now that it's been around long enough to be scrutinized and pigeon-holed, there's a more established set of characteristics to go by, and those "sludge-style" vocals are one of the primary characteristics.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.09.2014 - 03:29
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Also that was a really fast 41 minutes. Not an overly engaging listen but still offered its fair share of variety. A good balance of crushing riffs and a somber atmosphere, as pointed out more articulately in your review.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.09.2014 - 18:21
barnesy

There are some good things on here but there was quite a bit of boredom too. I liked the 'somber' parts to a certain extent, then it became too much and the album lost me.
04.10.2014 - 00:56
AlehandRO

Well i think that music nowadays is referring to individuals that's why reviewers are having such a hard time to find out in which genre this album belongs. I d rather say that genres are dying cause music reflects society and society is scattered and doesn't work massively with a goals and dreams anymore but more like a small group of people or individually. Irreversible is a great example of that individuality, they work alone for their own little audience and they succeed making an excellent album. (Husk) Corpse Pose really caught my attention not only because of the excellent song writing but also for the speech, it;s actually really interesting to hear what these guys have to say about society and i believe that it has been excellent executed to actually draw the listener to the speech and when i mean draw i really mean DRAWWWW...

Hits total: 4824 | This month: 11