Metal Storm logo
Disputing The Blacklist

Original post

Posted by Ganondox, 19.09.2014 - 08:21
Is there any formal way to dispute blacklisted bands? In the very least, how do people comment on the suggestions? Is it mods only?

On a side note, if a band was definitely metal for a single album, but only that album, ambiguously metal for several other albums, and clearly non-metal for several other albums, where would they fall? The specific band I'm thinking about is Staind, while they are best known for their post-grunge work, their first album was for the most part heavy metal/alternative metal, and they have a few nu/alternative metal albums.
20.09.2014 - 20:25
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I too am skeptical when it comes to boycotting NSBM...

First, there's every orthodox black metal band which sings against the christians. Kill the christians, hail satin. And everybody says yeah. So metal.
Then there's NSBM. Kill the jews, heil hitman And everybody thinks it's fucked up

Someone once told me "Oh, but those are two VERY different things, because the christians can choose what they are and jews cannot", or sometihng on that line. Well, in my view this argument still doesn't make the disrespect of bm bands towards the christians more excusable, but let's pretend it does.

Then we proceed to look at the lyrics of Anal Cunt, for istance. Their lyrics vary among homophobic, racist, discriminatory, violent and so on... Here's an excerpt:

first you fucked a nigger you ugly fucking whore ran out of men in canada and came here for more
you could shower all your life and you'd never get clean because you fucked someone that wore afro-sheen

Yet they are featured on the site...
I'm not saying Anal Cunt or bm bands should be banned of the site, for god sake. But the point is that the NS lyrics are no worse than what we have here.

But it's MS policy, so... I'm ok with it. But that it is weird it is. =P
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
20.09.2014 - 21:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Karlabos on 20.09.2014 at 20:25

First, there's every orthodox black metal band which sings against the christians. Kill the christians, hail satin. And everybody says yeah. So metal.
Then there's NSBM. Kill the jews, heil hitman And everybody thinks it's fucked up

Someone once told me "Oh, but those are two VERY different things, because the christians can choose what they are and jews cannot", or sometihng on that line. Well, in my view this argument still doesn't make the disrespect of bm bands towards the christians more excusable, but let's pretend it does.

Then we proceed to look at the lyrics of Anal Cunt, for istance. Their lyrics vary among homophobic, racist, discriminatory, violent and so on... Here's an excerpt:

first you fucked a nigger you ugly fucking whore ran out of men in canada and came here for more
you could shower all your life and you'd never get clean because you fucked someone that wore afro-sheen

Yet they are featured on the site...
I'm not saying Anal Cunt or bm bands should be banned of the site, for god sake. But the point is that the NS lyrics are no worse than what we have here.

But it's MS policy, so... I'm ok with it. But that it is weird it is. =P

This will be my only response on NSBM and related blacklisted bands since this isn't the appropriate thread.

First of all, here are some links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parody
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satire

Second of all, there is no pretending. Metal Storm employs its anti-NS policy on the grounds that it is directly harmful to a people based on their race, which is not a choice, whereas anti-[religion] bands are in effect exercising their freedom of speech via poetic license to mock, reprimand, or simply analyze religion in various contexts - all of which are technically considered optional as they aren't an ascribed hereditary status such as race. While NS bands and the like are permitted by law to write about the topics they choose, Metal Storm acts independently by establishing a hard limit on accepting these bands in the database for purposes not limited to personal conflict, but also due to potential boycotting issues brought on by major labels and possibly even other bands.

Lastly, bringing up Anal Cunt in a discussion like this serves as its own counter-argument. AC as a concept was a parody of the grindcore scene on a whole and also of itself. The lyrical content therein is considered to be parody and nothing more.

---
If you want to quote this comment, please paste it in the appropriate thread (like the NSBM thread for instance).
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.09.2014 - 21:55
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.09.2014 at 16:40

although I will bring it up in our next Staff meeting at the old MS Towers.

Hmm ... sounds suspicious. Are you part of the Illuminati?
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
22.09.2014 - 11:10
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.09.2014 at 18:14

There's a chance both were blacklisted before we made a push to add non-metal side projects.

Does that mean Neptune Towers (Fenriz's ambient albums) could be added? It's not blacklisted or suggested. I might suggest it if it's not a definite no.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
22.09.2014 - 11:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by M C Vice on 22.09.2014 at 11:10

Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.09.2014 at 18:14

There's a chance both were blacklisted before we made a push to add non-metal side projects.

Does that mean Neptune Towers (Fenriz's ambient albums) could be added? It's not blacklisted or suggested. I might suggest it if it's not a definite no.

so you answered own question its mot blacklisted yet and also suggested, so suggest it (if it reach 15 likes staff might look into it )
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.09.2014 - 15:54
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by M C Vice on 22.09.2014 at 11:10
Does that mean Neptune Towers (Fenriz's ambient albums) could be added?

Potentially. It might take a little bit of time to get some feedback on these issues so don't expect me to start adding (or blacklisting) these bands immediately, but I will let it be known in this thread once everyone has their answers.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.09.2014 - 19:36
Fearmeister
Account deleted
I would like to argue that Graveland is not an NSBM band. I have yet to find any racism or hate speech in any of his songs. There are a few songs about Wotan (which has the potential to be racist) but they're only about Germanic barbarians fucking shit up, the usual vikings are freaking cool deal. Also, the song 'White Hand's Power' is about Isengard so that doesn't count either.

This is the only NSBM band that I'm going to argue about. The others I disagree with (Nokturnal Mortum, Satanic Warmaster, Ad Nominum) still have some hate speech in them so I'm gonna leave those alone.
22.09.2014 - 20:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 22.09.2014 at 19:36

I do would like to argue that Graveland is not an NSBM band. I have yet to find any racism or hate speech in any of his songs. There are a few songs about Wotan (which has the potential to be racist) but all they're only about Germanic barbarians fucking shit up, the usual vikings are freaking cool deal. Also, the song 'White Hand's Power' is about Isengard so that doesn't count either.

This is the only NSBM band that I'm going to argue about. The others I disagree with (Nokturnal Mortum, Satanic Warmaster, Ad Nominum) still have some hate speech in them so I'm gonna leave those alone.

same as Lord Wind what is acoustic music made by Graveland main man
----

apos;'
[image]
23.09.2014 - 05:13
D.T. Metal

Written by MetalDoomMaster on 20.09.2014 at 19:11

Why are NSBM bands blacklisted? How are their lyrical themes so much worse than the other thousands of metal bands that talk about killing ... people and hating ... group of people?

Because it doesn't stop with their lyrical content. Most, if not all NSBM bands, their members and/or fans also practice and preach this ideology outside of the musical arena. A lot of them are members of some sort of NS club. Some, if not all, festivals in Europe even have a posted note by the entry gates that anybody with "insert band name here" T-Shirt will not be admitted onto the grounds.

There are websites which feature NSBM bands - Metal Storm isn't one of them and NEVER will be.

And as Troy already said - this is NOT the thread to discuss this - so
23.09.2014 - 10:42
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by D.T. Metal on 23.09.2014 at 05:13

Some, if not all, festivals in Europe even have a posted note by the entry gates that anybody with "insert band name here" T-Shirt will not be admitted onto the grounds.

Wow, really ?? I've been to quite a few fests and never saw anything of this. I heard it's the case in a few German fests (like PartySan) but I think it is very far from the majority. If anything, most festivals declare themselves non-political and don't give a crap about ideologies (the way it should always be for music fests, imo).

But on topic, I don't think it's worth it discussing NSBM being blacklisted (as it is a MS policy decision) but discussing the erroneous NS-tag on certain bands (like Fearmeister mentionned) should be a possibility.
23.09.2014 - 12:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Vombatus on 23.09.2014 at 10:42

Written by D.T. Metal on 23.09.2014 at 05:13

Some, if not all, festivals in Europe even have a posted note by the entry gates that anybody with "insert band name here" T-Shirt will not be admitted onto the grounds.

Wow, really ?? I've been to quite a few fests and never saw anything of this. I heard it's the case in a few German fests (like PartySan) but I think it is very far from the majority. If anything, most festivals declare themselves non-political and don't give a crap about ideologies (the way it should always be for music fests, imo).

But on topic, I don't think it's worth it discussing NSBM being blacklisted (as it is a MS policy decision) but discussing the erroneous NS-tag on certain bands (like Fearmeister mentionned) should be a possibility.

read a last MS news about german politician apologies to Nor band and wanted ban them from playing in the fest ... as DT said about t shirs ad if you say ''heil hitler'' and show that salute, or any kind Nazi symbolism in Germany, deny holocaust and same laws in Austria as well, you can evce go to the jail and like old staffer in old days when and what I don't remember, said MS is webzine not datenase as MA are where are all bands no matter if ideology , just because they play metal, same time there are MSBM sites as well and we have tread about NSBM what troy mentioned ...
----

apos;'
[image]
23.09.2014 - 12:42
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Bad English on 23.09.2014 at 12:03

read a last MS news about german politician apologies to Nor band and wanted ban them from playing in the fest ... as DT said about t shirs ad if you say ''heil hitler'' and show that salute, or any kind Nazi symbolism in Germany, deny holocaust and same laws in Austria as well, you can evce go to the jail and like old staffer in old days when and what I don't remember, said MS is webzine not datenase as MA are where are all bands no matter if ideology , just because they play metal, same time there are MSBM sites as well and we have tread about NSBM what troy mentioned ...

There is a difference between a band getting banned from playing in a oversensitive country like Germany, and not being allowed to wear a shirt/patch at a fest anywhere else in Europe. Ironically, you get bands like Den Saakaldte threatened of ban yet real NSBM like Satanic Warmaster manages to play gigs freely in the same country.

And again, if you read correctly what I wrote, it's not about having NSBM bands in the database but about blacklisting a band for a wrong reason (very different thing).
24.02.2017 - 10:11
yeah1980

I would like to state that, in my humble opinion, Ugly Kid Joe is 45% hard rock, 45% heavy metal, and only 10% alternative/funk.
So, if it was on me, they belong in metalstorm database.
----
"Be water, my friend" (Bruce Lee)