04. The Undead King Of Rock'N'Roll
05. The Last Maze
06. White Lies
07. Red Ink
08. Room 13
09. Stinkhorn
10. Slumber With The Worm
11. Condemned To Hope

Merely hoping for their tunes to be deemed catchy isn't Black Moth's manner of proceeding. Cunningly combining rock 'n' roll energies and a darkly charred stoner metal presentation, it seems that they would condemn passable song writing to deliver catchy tunes by natural force of habit.

In all likelihood it's for the best that Black Moth have emerged from their garage to boldly stride out some streamlined stoner metal tunes. The unabashed and lascivious lyricists from Leeds have set out without compromise, moving on from the darkly doom fuzz of the debut in The Killing Jar and up the newly designated stoner slopes of Condemned To Hope. Though, any hope that the band presents a more cheery humour and rose-tinted outlook within this new effort are expectedly quashed. As always, the tint comes in black. "Mothic horror", as they've cleverly called it.

While the band still maintains an individual take on a sound saturated in the impurities of stoner rock and doom metal, these qualities have more-or-less been polished and rendered as one-and-the-same in their fresh direction. Here we're presented with a set of stoner metal cuts which remain characterised by an up-tempo rock rhythm, wholesomely represented bass-lines and garage distortions, all of which are subjected to a doom inflection that continually pulls back the pace of tracks like "The Last Maze" and slows the lick of the riffs. It is the abundance of these licks which give Black Moth their advantage and sense of purpose; their resourceful ability to attach hooks aplenty within a tune, which continues to be well demonstrated here in inventive guitar leads backed by ample heaviness in the rhythm section. Vocalist Harriet Bevan has found a voice more her own, and one not quite as easy to pin down to an Ozzy-like ire granted by the doom burrowed context of the tunes. On this record she identifies her own strengths and performs with a focus forwarding the decisiveness the band as whole demonstrates stylistically.

While the delivery somewhat retains the garage grit of the earlier album effort, and their days as an explicitly garage rock styled band under the name The Bacchae, the qualities of this record in terms of production are in its well finished stoner metal tones and overall texture; a smoother sound more suited to the focus of style they've decided upon. What they've refined the sound to here certainly doesn't nullify personality or edge, simply presents it in a manner more neatly defined, to the general enhanced performance of the band as a group. Reliance on the diversity amongst the tracks remains a remarkable asset, and while not all of them boast leads as striking as the title track or lines as singable and memorable as the percussively lively "Set Yourself Alight," they maintain general variance and offer something of their own to this studio effort.

Condemned To Hope is an earnest example of metal refinement without the detrimental loss of character. Black Moth remain wicked whichever way they go.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 19.09.2014 by R'Vannith enjoys music, he's hoping you do too.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 112 users
19.09.2014 - 12:51
Ilham
Giant robot
One more stoner album to listen to. One.
19.09.2014 - 13:24
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Apparently they one-up'd their debut. Sounds great as I liked that one!
Thanks for the heads up. Had no idea they were going to release anything this year.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.09.2014 - 17:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Still haven't made time to listen to this, but I'm hoping to get around to it this weekend. Doesn't sound like they're gonna throw me for a loop though, which is fine by me because their debut is great.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Hits total: 3546 | This month: 9