05. Body Harvest
06. BTK [feat. Chuck Billy]
07. Wrapped In The Arms Of Rage
08. My Last Nerve
09. Numb
10. Honor Killings
11. Food For The Worms
12. Angel Of Death [Angel Witch cover] [Limited Edition bonus]
13. Protect Not Dissect [feat. Anthony "Rat" Martin] [The Varukers cover] [Japanese bonus]

Disc II [Special Edition DVD]
+ "Blood Upon The Goat" making-of footage
+ Behind-the-scenes tour footage
+ Footage from Kirk Hammett's Fear FestEVIL After Party at San Diego Comic-Con

Who exactly are the "Big 4" of thrash metal is a highly debated topic among metal music veterans for what seems now all of eternity. Everyone can agree with Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer but the fourth band gets a bit tricky depending on who you ask. My personal choice is Anthrax but if I could trademark a title called the "Big 5 Of Thrash"® my fifth band would be Exodus. Exodus are having a remarkable career, and are back in the limelight once again with the release of their first album since 2010. Vocalist Steve Souza is back after 10 years, making his second return and what perfect timing because Exodus sound fantastic and by bringing along their unparalleled brand of speed metal, have cemented their status as one of the kings of Bay Area thrash metal. I admit, I haven't listened to an Exodus album since 1987's underrated Pleasures OF The Flesh but I have kept a staunch ear open for the early thrash metal bands still around today. Death Angel, Testament and Prong have all made good albums in the "twilight" of their careers and now Exodus can join that bunch.

Interestingly, Blood In, Blood Out starts off with what seems to be a heads-up for the "nu" metal listeners today. The first two minutes of "Black 13" consist of electronic, techno and dub step attributes (JK Broadrick would be proud); I thought I was playing the wrong album. It's unique, but this a thrash album for god's sake. After that little mandatory plug, the rest of Blood In, Blood Out is filled with what thrash fans have come to expect: speed, technicality and raw emotion. Speed in the form of Gary Holt ruling the universe with his plutonium-plated guitar riffs, technical virtue from Tom Hunting going crazy on the drums like an 18 year old all over again and raw emotion from Steve Souza screaming until his lungs explode. The songs have some decent time lengths so their is plenty of onslaught to go around and most of them are catchy and have some moments you will remember. "Body Harvest" has the catchiest riff of all the songs while "Btk" is the most melodic, a striking chorus in the middle and a surprise at the end with some death metal "growls" courtesy of Chuck Billy side by side with Steve's shrieks.

Guitar solos are prevalent and not an irritation - yeay!, but the crutch that all the songs lean on are the dual-layered rhythm guitar patterns. These temperate sound textures and the rest of the aura on album benefit from having impressible production. The bass work is actually audible (in most cases of thrash metal, it's not) and the professional craftsmanship from the musicians is properly simulated, the guest work from Kirk Hammett inclusive. Blood In, Blood Out is not ground breaking and never fully deviates from its original formula of energetic, intense, fist-pumping thrash metal. Despite that, I enjoyed the album because it's aggressive and fun to listen to. Now, after a couple more play throughs, I think I'm going back to check out the rest of Exodus's discography that I regretfully missed.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 9

Written on 27.09.2014 by Be gentle, I never said I was any good at this!

Comments

Comments: 29   Visited by: 424 users
27.09.2014 - 03:58
Lit.
Account deleted
I can deal with this. As long as it's not mindbogglingly average.

...And cue Marcel ready to rant about how useless the Big 4 moniker is.
27.09.2014 - 04:04
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Guest on 27.09.2014 at 03:58

I can deal with this. As long as it's not mindbogglingly average.

...And cue Marcel ready to rant about how useless the Big 4 moniker is.

It's a good album Lit. Nothing original - just solid. And "The Big 4" topic is huge in the metal arena - I love the debate, it's fun.
----
rekt
27.09.2014 - 06:08
bloodface

The original singer is Paul Baloff.
27.09.2014 - 06:26
bloodface

"Death Angel, Testament and Prong have all made good albums in the "twilight" of their careers and now Exodus can join that bunch." - Tempo of the Damned with Souza on vocals in 2004 (well into their "twilight") is widely recognized as a very good album.....2nd best by Exodus based on Metal Storm ratings.....and my ratings as well.
27.09.2014 - 13:38
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Someone fucked up the tracklisting it seems. The whole '#1' shit fails badly.

Glad to see they are back in shape, though even the last ones were not bad either.
27.09.2014 - 17:19
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by bloodface on 27.09.2014 at 06:08

The original singer is Paul Baloff.

Indeed, thanks for heads-up. Edited/fixed.
----
rekt
27.09.2014 - 17:22
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by bloodface on 27.09.2014 at 06:26

"Death Angel, Testament and Prong have all made good albums in the "twilight" of their careers and now Exodus can join that bunch." - Tempo of the Damned with Souza on vocals in 2004 (well into their "twilight") is widely recognized as a very good album.....2nd best by Exodus based on Metal Storm ratings.....and my ratings as well.

I think now is "well into their twilight". 2004? Just the beginning. Heck, they were all still in their late 30's/early 40's in 2004
----
rekt
27.09.2014 - 17:26
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 27.09.2014 at 13:38

Glad to see they are back in shape, though even the last ones were not bad either.

Fixed the track numbers. Also, can u recommend an album from them? I last listened to Exodus when I was a teenager I read that their were better vocalists than Steve. True?
----
rekt
27.09.2014 - 17:43
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by tea[m]ster on 27.09.2014 at 17:26

Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 27.09.2014 at 13:38

Fixed the track numbers. Also, can u recommend an album from them? I last listened to Exodus when I was a teenager I read that their were better vocalists than Steve. True?

Bonded By Blood, Fabulous Disaster and Tempo Of The Damned are my favorite ones.

Well, they had three vocalists main vocalists that contributed on their full lengths, first is Paul Baloff, now deceased, second is Steve and third is the guy that left earlier, Rob Dukes (there were two others but they did not stay for long). Baloff was a good vocalist, but his name is well regarded because of the quality of the debut. This does not mean that he is bad either, just that I do not think he tops Steve. Maybe an equal, but not better than him. As for Rob Dukes, the guy was good, but to core~ish for my tastes.
27.09.2014 - 18:10
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Enjoyed Tempo Of The Damned, so I'll definitely be looking into this one. As far as the "Big 4" goes, I think it's a pretty useless term to have, because it implies that it's objective fact that there are indeed 4 bands at the top of the thrash game, and that's purely subjective opinion that varies greatly depending on who you ask. "Big 4" to me sounds more like a marketing ploy than anything else, just look at that concert a few years back where all four bands were on the lineup, it was advertised as if it was the Second Coming or something.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
27.09.2014 - 18:32
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Auntie Sahar on 27.09.2014 at 18:10

"Big 4" to me sounds more like a marketing ploy than anything else.

There was a method to my madness for this review . Attract viewership right?
----
rekt
27.09.2014 - 18:35
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by tea[m]ster on 27.09.2014 at 18:32

"Big 4" to me sounds more like a marketing ploy than anything else.

There was a method to my madness for this review . Attract viewership right?

Touche
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
27.09.2014 - 19:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted

As far as the "Big 4" goes, I think it's a pretty useless term to have, because it implies that it's objective fact that there are indeed 4 bands at the top of the thrash game, and that's purely subjective opinion that varies greatly depending on who you ask.

As Marcel will no doubt attest to when he sees this review, the Big 4 was based purely on album sales (or ticket sales, or a combination; something quantifiable like that) so it's a purely objective thing in fact.
27.09.2014 - 19:11
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 27.09.2014 at 19:02

As Marcel will no doubt attest to when he sees this review, the Big 4 was based purely on album sales (or ticket sales, or a combination; something quantifiable like that) so it's a purely objective thing in fact.

Still, that's a pretty shitty standard to go by for judging quality of music
----

~ II. VII
27.09.2014 - 19:12
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Guest on 27.09.2014 at 19:02

As Marcel will no doubt attest to when he sees this review

Just beating the grass to startle the snakes . And of course it's objective.
----
rekt
27.09.2014 - 19:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 27.09.2014 at 19:11

It's not a judgement of quality though, it's a statement of pure numbers. They were the big 4 because they were the biggest thrash bands. Simple as that. They weren't called "The Best 4" after all.
27.09.2014 - 20:00
Mattybu

Jay, you know I love you man, but all I'm gonna say about this review is I'm glad the last two paragraphs deviated into something proper and informative after the opener, which induced my PTSD of 10,000,000,00,000,00's of youtube comments from people saying "LOl metalliSHIT and AnthraGAY are just selleout the REAL bug 4 has EXODUS!! OVERKILL11" I understand that you were just getting at the fact that your picks are your favourites though.

Anyways, good stuff
27.09.2014 - 20:14
Zap
Written by tea[m]ster on 27.09.2014 at 04:04

And "The Big 4" topic is huge in the metal arena - I love the debate, it's fun.

Where's the debate? The Big Four are the Big Four, there's no arguing it. They're just the 4 biggest bands to come out of the thrash metal scene.

Sorry to be off-topic, but it just annoys me when people keep going on about who they want to be the Big Four and your opening paragraph being about that annoyed me.

Other than that a solid and fairly objective review, it makes it very clear who this album's for.
28.09.2014 - 08:31
Opethian

VATOS LOCO FOREVER!!! lmao
28.09.2014 - 09:12
Rating: 7
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
People, people we should be talking about new Exodus record not a BIG FOUR.

Head back to the topic.
28.09.2014 - 14:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 27.09.2014 at 19:14

Written by Auntie Sahar on 27.09.2014 at 19:11

It's not a judgement of quality though, it's a statement of pure numbers. They were the big 4 because they were the biggest thrash bands. Simple as that. They weren't called "The Best 4" after all.

Exactly. The number of times that has been stated on this forum has been countless. So, I didn't want to go there once again. Thanks for claryfying it Joe, instead of me.

But back to Blood IN, Blood Out, totally not convinced by it, although it is a step up compared to their albums after Tempo Of The Damned. Vocally it is a step down but musically it is way better.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.09.2014 - 15:14
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
I hope it's something similar to Tempo of the Damned.
As to the big four 4 thing, i never understood what Anthrax did that Exodus didn't do better.
I would even put Testament above Anthrax. But that's just me...

That artwork is fuc*ing hideous.
29.09.2014 - 15:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 29.09.2014 at 15:14

... i never understood what Anthrax did that Exodus didn't do better.
I would even put Testament above Anthrax.

Anthrax was bigger... they sold MORE.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.09.2014 - 15:54
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by deadone on 29.09.2014 at 07:49

In fact they're a decent arbiter of quality. For example Slipknot has continued to sell at roughly same levels when other popular bands have suffered big losses in volume. Clearly Slipknot is doing something well enough for fans to keep buying.

Or they can just afford better marketing? Again, not a fitting thing by which to judge quality of music, plenty of awesome bands that are "doing something well enough" have low sales simply due to the fact that they don't have much popular promotion (and probably don't want it, for that matter).
----

~ II. VII
29.09.2014 - 20:04
Mattybu

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.09.2014 at 15:49

Written by Guest on 29.09.2014 at 15:14

... i never understood what Anthrax did that Exodus didn't do better.
I would even put Testament above Anthrax.

Anthrax was bigger... they sold MORE.

There should seriously be a disclaimer you have to read when you open a new account here that you can't close for at least 5 minutes that says "THE MEMBERS OF THE BIG 4 OF THRASH METAL ARE DETERMINED BY THE HIGHEST RECORD SALES OF THRASH BANDS AT THE TIME". Although people would continue to misunderstand what the term means regardless.
29.09.2014 - 23:25
Rating: 6
Rulatore

Well, I do not have high hopes for this one, I hope I'm wrong about it
29.09.2014 - 23:32
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Rulatore on 29.09.2014 at 23:25

Well, I am an old school thrash fan and this fits the bill. Compared to other Exodus albums? I have no idea but for me it's enjoyable.
----
rekt
01.10.2014 - 21:01
Rating: 6
Rulatore

Written by tea[m]ster on 29.09.2014 at 23:32

Written by Rulatore on 29.09.2014 at 23:25

Well, I am an old school thrash fan and this fits the bill. Compared to other Exodus albums? I have no idea but for me it's enjoyable.

I am too, let's hope it's indeed good.

It sounded more like tempo of the damned than fabulous disaster till now, still, I'll give it a chance.
05.10.2014 - 04:59
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Oh ffs more on the Big Four. sorry the concept is too advanced for some 'round these parts. can't fix stupid.

eager to hear the album.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!

Hits total: 9911 | This month: 18