Metal Storm logo
Green Carnation

21.05.2006 - 03:25
Soliloquy

we seriously need more people getting into Green Carnation! the band is awsome, and so under rated. well..they would have to be known in order to be under rated. no one knows them! but then again, since they are from norway, they wont get any attention. reason being that norway is getting bigger and bigger with the black and gothic metal, that all the attention going to norway goes to bands like Theatre Of Tragedy, Mayhem, Emperor, Midnattsol, TSYBO....

(note: Tchort (Terje Vik Schei) is also a guitarist for Emperor, and their current vocalist is also a member of trail of tears)

but anyways, i think green carnation are the first metal/rock band that made a song that is over an hour long. is it still the longest metal song out there? some say it is, some dont..whatever. i only have thier 'light of day, day of darkness' and 'the quite offspring' album and think they both are incredible. not really sure which one i like more coz they boht are so different. i guess thats how the band would be considered progressive. they keep changing their style and experiment with all sorts of things.

haha, im actually listening to light of day, day of darkness right now. incredible song!

what do you think about em? and did you guys see em live? how are they?

and here is a video for thier song 'the boy in the attic' from their 'the quiet off spring' album:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6252588169490393383&q=green+carnation
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
05.06.2006 - 03:51
Daru Jericho

I can't believe nobody has posted in here already!

GC are a cool band with varying styles. They're good to chill out to, especially 'Lullaby In Winter', one of my favourite songs of theirs.

I hope to see them live in August. Tickets are dirt cheap (£8.50) and I figure...why not?
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

05.06.2006 - 04:39
Soliloquy

it sucks to see an awsomly talented band not get recognition for it! see, if they were from any other country besides norway, they would have been huge! norway is almost like a black hole for new metal bands! stupid overly popular bands...well whatever

yeah, the tickets here were relativly cheap as well. they were being sofl for 19 bucks. normally the tickets for any metal concert are around 35 or higher. like the gigantour was for i believe 45. umm..Kamelot/epicas show is for 40.
----

-Zakk Wylde
08.06.2006 - 18:25
Daru Jericho

Did you see them live then? If so were they good?
----

08.06.2006 - 22:35
Soliloquy

nah. i was underage. it sucks becuase i was turning 19 a few months after. i mean, they came here in may. and im turning 19 in july. so really, i was only 3 months away from seeing them. well 3 months and 2 days

umm, were they good? god knows. this was the second tiemt hey came over to my home time, and it was the second time i was underage. but i heard that the first time they came to toronto(it was the VERY first north american city they hit. and that was the only city they hit during that tour) they played around 40 minutes of Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness, and almost all the songs on their 'the quit offspring' album, and then some from their previous album.

this time, i heard they played about 30 minutes of light of day, some songs from all their album, including their accoustic album.

oh, and i was talking to Tchort and Tommy on myspace, and even on theri site. and they said that the people should let me in, but if they cant, the band members cant actually do anything about it becuase to get involved with the law and stuff could end up in tons of lawsuits and what not.
----

-Zakk Wylde
09.06.2006 - 05:47
mvikred

love this band light of day, day of darkness ... its, if simply put, is a 60 min ticket to heaven

mvikred
----
I'm addicted to Technical Death Metal ... Somebody save me
09.06.2006 - 05:52
Daru Jericho

Written by Soliloquy on 08.06.2006 at 22:35

nah. i was underage. it sucks becuase i was turning 19 a few months after. i mean, they came here in may. and im turning 19 in july. so really, i was only 3 months away from seeing them. well 3 months and 2 days

umm, were they good? god knows. this was the second tiemt hey came over to my home time, and it was the second time i was underage. but i heard that the first time they came to toronto(it was the VERY first north american city they hit. and that was the only city they hit during that tour) they played around 40 minutes of Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness, and almost all the songs on their 'the quit offspring' album, and then some from their previous album.

this time, i heard they played about 30 minutes of light of day, some songs from all their album, including their accoustic album.

oh, and i was talking to Tchort and Tommy on myspace, and even on theri site. and they said that the people should let me in, but if they cant, the band members cant actually do anything about it becuase to get involved with the law and stuff could end up in tons of lawsuits and what not.

3 months? Dude, you should have tried to get in anyway! Unless they're really strict around there. When I was 16 I went to a lot of 18+ gigs without a problem and I still do now. They never really care because they just want to get so many people in. Unless of course you look REALLY underage. Oh well, next time they play your city hopefully they'll let you in as you'll be old enough.
----

10.06.2006 - 06:16
CreativeAngels
Account deleted
I Own Light of Day, Day of Darkness i really do love this alumb the whole 1hr and 6seconds it is like a jourey
10.06.2006 - 14:55
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Great band! I only own 'The Acoustic Verses'but I love it, and I also love the other stuff I heard from them.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
10.06.2006 - 18:17
Soliloquy

Written by Daru Jericho on 09.06.2006 at 05:52

3 months? Dude, you should have tried to get in anyway! Unless they're really strict around there. When I was 16 I went to a lot of 18+ gigs without a problem and I still do now. They never really care because they just want to get so many people in. Unless of course you look REALLY underage. Oh well, next time they play your city hopefully they'll let you in as you'll be old enough.

oh no, the bouncers were checking for ID at the door. and that dude saw my date of birth, and just sent me away. so i had to sell my ticket to someone else at the door
----

-Zakk Wylde
10.06.2006 - 18:35
Conundrum
Account deleted
I absolutely love Green Carnation. Kjetil Nordhus is an amazing vocalist, and of course Tchort composes some amazing melodies. Unfortunately I couldn't go see them when they were in NYC a while back - stupid concert promoters decided to schedule GC to go on at 11pm, and unfortunately, since I had school the next day, I couldn't go. I was SO upset! But if they ever come back to the states again, I am going, come hell or high water.
11.06.2006 - 01:43
Daru Jericho

Written by Soliloquy on 10.06.2006 at 18:17

Written by Daru Jericho on 09.06.2006 at 05:52

oh no, the bouncers were checking for ID at the door. and that dude saw my date of birth, and just sent me away. so i had to sell my ticket to someone else at the door

Aw sorry to hear that. That must have really been upsetting Maybe next time you can see them. I'm sure they're as good live as they are on recording. So far, it doesn't look like anyone on MS has seen them live yet.
----

14.06.2006 - 01:01
Soliloquy

/\ oh i dont care what happens the next time they are over. if they wont let me in, im burning them then peeing on their burnt bodies!

humm, i was playing their 'the quite offspirng' yesterday. i never really realised how good some of the songs on that album are. really catchy. but not catchy in an annoyign way. my only pet peeve with this album is the fact that some of their songs are so short! but yeah, 'just when you think it's safe' 'dead but dreaming' and both child's play parts are incredible songs.

i saw their 'the acoustic verse' lying around at this mall. but for some reason i got Yngwie Malmsteen's album instead of that album. Yngwie is boring, so that wasnt money well spend. meh
----

-Zakk Wylde
14.06.2006 - 04:30
Futility Inc.
Account deleted
Green Carnation are awesome! These guys really have some great songs, it was too bad that they had to cancel their show here in Toronto in April, I was severely disappointed
Hopefully they comeback to Canada soon!
24.06.2006 - 16:56
Soliloquy

damn norwiegins!!!!!

this was taken from their myspace profile thing:

A NIGHT UNDER THE DAM
Body: Sublife Productions and Eikerapen Roots Festival present a breathtaking concept, which promises to be one of the most spectacular open air concerts ever to be held in Norway:

"Under the Dam"

621 meters over the ocean, miles into the mountains, under a 30 meter dam that has been lit up, you can on Thursday August 3rd - experience some of the most exiting musical acts in Norway right now...

mms://video.pragma.no/fvvideo/060614gnu.wmv

Green Carnation is one of the most respected Norwegian rock/metal acts
internationally, and has during their 15 years of existence released
albums that already have received cult status amongst fans all over the
world.

Green Carnations new attempt, The Acoustic Verses, is soft, fragile and at the
same time utterly emotional and is the ideal soundtrack to a serene and esoteric journey adorned with beauty and melancholy.

The album is what the title says, an acoustic monument of thoughts, emotions, dreams, wishes, sweet bitterness. This time Green Carnation take their sound another step forward offering something different, something elegant, soul-touching and from the heart.

The Acoustic Verses will appeal to those who adore soft and fragile music, but those who shouldnt miss it for sure must be the fans of Antimatter, the more acoustic side of Radiohead and latest Anathema. (Edited from www.metalstorm.ee)

Green Carnation is one of Norways best kept secrets.
- DigitalMetal.com

I cant recommend this album enough, especially to fans of acoustic and progressive music.
- Progarchives.com

The record has become a piece of music that sticks to your mind, the instrumentation and the tasteful string-arrangements
make this one of the biggest surprises this year
- Aftenposten

The most successful of them all is Alone, a poem by Edgar Allan Poe, with a great celtic inspired folk arrangement!
- Verdens Gang

Green Carnation has a fantastic vocalist in Kjetil Nordhus, and the songs are direct, simple and very tasteful
- Fædrelandsvennen

During A Night Under the Dam, Green Carnation will present The Acoustic Verses in full scale, for the first and last time with the guest artists necessary for fulfilling the album live. They have brought in some of the best musicians in Norway to be able to
perform the bands biggest live project of all time.

The concert will be filmed by a production team, and will eventually be released as a DVD all over the world. International music writers have already shown interest in the happening, and magazines will be represented under the Dam. Green Carnation did their very first USA tour in February-April, including a performance on South By Southwest, will do Norways biggest festival, the
Quart Festival this summer before heading out on a European tour in September.
----

-Zakk Wylde
24.06.2006 - 16:59
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Damn, that's good. I'd like to see how that turns out..
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
25.06.2006 - 01:25
Daru Jericho

You're not alone there, Nervel! And I'll be seeing them live not over some water dam but in a basement under a small pub. It's really not fair. Oh well, at least I'm seeing them. Still, my dad tried to get my ticket sometime this week but they weren't on sale yet. *Grumbles*.

As for the Acoustic Verses, it was good. It's nice to see a band do something different for the entirety of an album for a change.
----

25.06.2006 - 17:13
Renessanss
Grand Gardener
Hah... I was beginning to think I'm the only fan here on MS. Its good to see that they are not so unknown here. I would give much to see them in Norway, though I'm afraid I'm deep in siberia at the time...

One thing that bothers me about GC are the lyrics though...
----
25.06.2006 - 17:15
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Why? I consider them really good..
----

25.06.2006 - 17:43
Renessanss
Grand Gardener
Well, the writing style seems really poor on some songs... I won't critizise what they write about only the exterior part... wordings mostly...
----
25.06.2006 - 17:52
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Hmm, I don't agree with that. I have to admit I only know the lyrics of the latest, 'The Acoustic Verses', but they seem good too me.

My Greater Cause
As I ran down the street all the
faces appeared to me one by one
by the fifth I took a sudden turn
the metling snow revealed the bodies
buried long ago
all the violence a man can take
the broken bones and broken homes
beneath my feet

In the eyes of the elephant
nothing's too big and none
proves you wrong
but the kind they had to offer
din't do me good
it barely cracked the softer shell

Great stuff if you ask me. Mysterious, nicely written..
----

25.06.2006 - 18:18
Soliloquy

humm, yeah i dont really see any real mistakes in their lyrics either. the only thing that sort of bothers me is how random their 'light of day, day or darkness...' song can be at times. like they are building an idea, and then all of a sudden, they change it to soemthing else.

and in their album 'the quite offspring'. their first song randomly uses 'the quite offspring fucked it up again' not that i'm offended by them using 'fuck' but i dont know, it sort of seems out of place
----

-Zakk Wylde
25.06.2006 - 19:15
Lucas
Mr. Noise
I haven't heard that song, so I can't say about it being out of place. But I heard it was their heaviest album, so I can imagine 'fuck' being used there.
----

27.06.2006 - 00:30
Daru Jericho

Written by Soliloquy on 25.06.2006 at 18:18

humm, yeah i dont really see any real mistakes in their lyrics either. the only thing that sort of bothers me is how random their 'light of day, day or darkness...' song can be at times. like they are building an idea, and then all of a sudden, they change it to soemthing else.

and in their album 'the quite offspring'. their first song randomly uses 'the quite offspring fucked it up again' not that i'm offended by them using 'fuck' but i dont know, it sort of seems out of place

I agree. When I heard that it was like "...trippy?" It was very odd, especially for a band like Green Carnation.

Their lyrics aren't really that good but they're not a total let down either. In short, they could be better.
----

29.06.2006 - 07:26
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
"humm, yeah i dont really see any real mistakes in their lyrics either. the only thing that sort of bothers me is how random their 'light of day, day or darkness...' song can be at times. like they are building an idea, and then all of a sudden, they change it to soemthing else."

You are joking right? Its called progressive for a reason.....
29.06.2006 - 17:36
Lucas
Mr. Noise
I don't really fidn them random.. as Daru Jericho said, trippy. Sometimes a bit hard to follow. But not bad, IMO.
----

29.06.2006 - 21:13
Soliloquy

Written by Guest on 29.06.2006 at 07:26

"humm, yeah i dont really see any real mistakes in their lyrics either. the only thing that sort of bothers me is how random their 'light of day, day or darkness...' song can be at times. like they are building an idea, and then all of a sudden, they change it to soemthing else."

You are joking right? Its called progressive for a reason.....

progressive metal is for the music. not lyrics. like if you take Dream Theater, or Symphony X, their lyrics flow properly. nothing really jumps at you at random
----

-Zakk Wylde
30.06.2006 - 01:36
Daru Jericho

So I was listening to The Acoustic Verses again not long ago and I've come to the conclusion that I actually love it. I don't know where to rank it out of the rest of GC's albums (I hate deciding album orders) but it's a masterpiece, save for the song 'High Tide Waves', which is beautiful but the vocals really do spoil it.

This album reminds me of Opeth's Damnation album but much less mournful. In fact, I guess GC remind me of Opeth in a lot of ways.
----

02.07.2006 - 14:22
Lucas
Mr. Noise
The Acoustic Verses is an absolute masterpiece. Keep listening to High Tide Waves, you might get used to them as I did. But yeah, it is goddamn awesome. Can't say anything other then that.

I don't know if you meant that with 'less mournfull' but I think I love it more than Damnation.
----

03.07.2006 - 03:45
Daru Jericho

Written by Lucas on 02.07.2006 at 14:22

The Acoustic Verses is an absolute masterpiece. Keep listening to High Tide Waves, you might get used to them as I did. But yeah, it is goddamn awesome. Can't say anything other then that.

I don't know if you meant that with 'less mournfull' but I think I love it more than Damnation.

My love will probably always remain with Damnation

I think Damnation is definitely the more depressing album. As for 'High Tide Waves', maybe the vocals would sound better on some other song but I really don't think it fits with the acoustic guitar. The verses are way better (vocally) than the chrous. I dunno, that's just me. But I really do love 'The Burden Is Mine...Alone'.
----