Metal Storm logo
Green Carnation

Original post

Posted by Soliloquy, 21.05.2006 - 03:25
we seriously need more people getting into Green Carnation! the band is awsome, and so under rated. well..they would have to be known in order to be under rated. no one knows them! but then again, since they are from norway, they wont get any attention. reason being that norway is getting bigger and bigger with the black and gothic metal, that all the attention going to norway goes to bands like Theatre Of Tragedy, Mayhem, Emperor, Midnattsol, TSYBO....

(note: Tchort (Terje Vik Schei) is also a guitarist for Emperor, and their current vocalist is also a member of trail of tears)

but anyways, i think green carnation are the first metal/rock band that made a song that is over an hour long. is it still the longest metal song out there? some say it is, some dont..whatever. i only have thier 'light of day, day of darkness' and 'the quite offspring' album and think they both are incredible. not really sure which one i like more coz they boht are so different. i guess thats how the band would be considered progressive. they keep changing their style and experiment with all sorts of things.

haha, im actually listening to light of day, day of darkness right now. incredible song!

what do you think about em? and did you guys see em live? how are they?

and here is a video for thier song 'the boy in the attic' from their 'the quiet off spring' album:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6252588169490393383&q=green+carnation
03.07.2006 - 12:43
Lucas
Mr. Noise
And 'Sweet Leaf', 'Maybe', and the überlong one, from which I forgot the name. Has somebody got the lyrics for the spoken vocals in the fifth song?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
04.07.2006 - 21:24
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll
Acoustic Verses is a great album. I like the first four tracks the best.I sadly havent heard anything else by this band. Any of their previous albums that are amazing?
----
"A witty saying proves nothing."
-Voltaire
04.07.2006 - 21:32
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Yes, all of them. If you like doom, get 'Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness'. One track, 60 minutes of doom.

I believe 'The Quiet Offspring' was more Death, but I haven't heard that one.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
04.07.2006 - 22:05
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll
Yeah I love doom, ill have to check that out.
----
-Voltaire
05.07.2006 - 00:45
Daru Jericho

Doom? I wouldn' say Green Carnation are doom metal at all.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

05.07.2006 - 02:39
Soliloquy

we dont really know what green carnation are really. if you look em up on metal-archives, they are gothic/doom/progressive. if you look em up on wikipedia, they are progressive/doom/folk. and i'm not sure what the new MS says, but the old one said they were doom/progressive....

so call em what you like:|
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
05.07.2006 - 02:48
Daru Jericho

I usually said that they were some sort of darkened prog. I mean, with doom I think of bands like My Dying Bride, Novembers Doom and stuff like that. I dunno, I guess it's like when people call Opeth doom - completely wrong in a lot of people's eyes, acceptable in others. Either way, this band could be labelled as any genre,; it's irrelevant. What's important is that they're good.
----

05.07.2006 - 06:06
Soliloquy

yeah, and with their album 'the quite offspring' they ventured into hard rock with some progressive rock stuff here and there.

and doom has couple of different genres in it itself. like i think its called Traditional doom, which consists of Doomsword, Katatonia etc. these bands have clean vocals.

the other doom, the stuff like Candelmass, Draconian are the doom that most people are familiar with.

but either way, lets just call Green Carnation as just 'metal'. they have ventured into way to many genres to really be labeld into anything
----

-Zakk Wylde
07.07.2006 - 16:08
okt31
Account deleted
Light of Day.. is doom metal IMO and very good one. The onyl annoying part are the female voicals for 3-4 minutes. The rest is awesome doom metal
07.07.2006 - 18:03
Soliloquy

/\ dude, that female vocalist part is actually about 10 minutes
----

-Zakk Wylde
07.07.2006 - 18:26
okt31
Account deleted
Written by Soliloquy on 07.07.2006 at 18:03

/\ dude, that female vocalist part is actually about 10 minutes

I don't think so.. If yes, then only then is annoying when there's no accompanying music. I guess that"s for sure 3-4 min long..
07.07.2006 - 20:01
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll
Written by Daru Jericho on 05.07.2006 at 02:48

I usually said that they were some sort of darkened prog. I mean, with doom I think of bands like My Dying Bride, Novembers Doom and stuff like that.

Yeah, well both of those bands are Death Doom, which is a relatively recent ofshoot of DOOM. Candelmass is one of the best examples of classic Dooom Metal.
----
-Voltaire
09.07.2006 - 14:56
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
"progressive metal is for the music. not lyrics. like if you take Dream Theater, or Symphony X, their lyrics flow properly. nothing really jumps at you at random "

...."the only thing that sort of bothers me is how random their 'light of day, day or darkness...' song can be at times"

I dont see anything here relating to lyrics.....
10.07.2006 - 19:52
Soliloquy

/\ keep reading wha tit says after the 'the only thing that sort of bothers me is how random their 'light of day, day of darkness...' song can be at times'

i did say that they were building upon an idea, and all of a sudden change it. music doesnt creat ideas. lyrics do
----

-Zakk Wylde
11.07.2006 - 14:20
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Lyrics dont create an idea, they reflect an idea - as does the music. It is the person behind both that creates the idea. And progressive music has every right to have progressive lyrics too
11.07.2006 - 17:01
Soliloquy

i dont think music creates ideas. it may compliment the lyrics, but it doesnt really create anything. what i mean is, take Rhapsody for example. they are singing about dragons and magic, and then all of a sudden, luca turilli comes in with a kick ass solo. there are no 'dragon scale' to play on a guitar. nor are there any instruments to do it. you can create at atmospheric/epic or gloomy feel to the songs, but it doesnt do anything with the lyrics. i mean, how are you suppose to creat the idea of 'birth' just by using instruments? you really cant.
----

-Zakk Wylde
14.07.2006 - 21:19
Odosha
Account deleted
I am not a lover of Green Carnation,I have listened all its works, but "Light of Day, Day of Darkness" is a work maestray, in reality i like a lot.... 8)
14.07.2006 - 22:47
Soliloquy

aright, i just picked up their the acoustic verses last night. gave it 2 spins...and to be honest,i didnt really like it much. i found it rather boring. but maybe i need to give the cd a few more spins and let it grow on to me?

i didnt read the lyrics either, but i really love their booklets and cover arts! i loved thier night of day, quite offspring, and now this one!
----

-Zakk Wylde
19.07.2006 - 05:40
Soliloquy

aright, yeah, after giving the album a few more tries, the album is really growing on to me..well, only 2 songs so far. they are sweet leaf and alone. something about the songs i like
----

-Zakk Wylde
19.07.2006 - 20:38
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Put it on loud. I've noticed a lot of stuff going on at the background, which is really good..
----

20.07.2006 - 00:18
Daru Jericho

I need to pick up my ticket to see this band soon. Hm...I'll probably do it on Sunday.
----

20.07.2006 - 13:25
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Why not now? You don't want to miss it.

I'd grab my bike, and do it right away.
----

20.07.2006 - 16:49
Soliloquy

humm, the 2 vocalist on sweet leaf is an interesting blend. its funny, i was listening to that song in my car, when i saw my friends standing at some intersecton. so i told em to get in. these two kids are REALLY into that cold play, muse, u2, and other rock bands. so as soon at the second vocalist started singing, my friend was like 'what the fuck?! you listening to U2? SWEET! HADI(me) CONVERTED TO ROCKISM!'...humm...i'm not sure if thats a good thing, for the vocalist to sound like bono or a bad thing? i mean, on one hand, a band that is seriously un known can fool a U2 fan into believing that i'm listening to u2. or a bad thing becuase U2 just sucks...

and i shall play it as loud as i can the next time i get a chance
----

-Zakk Wylde
20.07.2006 - 23:42
Lucas
Mr. Noise
I do not agree at all, that he sounds like Bono. Bono has a unique voice, but not of my liking. Kjetil has one of the best clean vocals ever.
----

21.07.2006 - 04:15
Daru Jericho

Written by Lucas on 20.07.2006 at 13:25

Why not now? You don't want to miss it.

I'd grab my bike, and do it right away.

Haha, I would but I'm lazy and I'm heading down that side on Sunday to go to another gig so I'll pick it up there. And I can't ride a bike XD Criminal, I know!

As for the sounding like Bono bit...hm...I can see where your friend could get the impression if he didn't listen closely but they are still pretty far apart! I can't stand U2 but I can stand 'Sweet Leaf' so he can't sound too much like Bono. And that track is probably one of the best on The Acoustic Verses.
----

21.07.2006 - 12:08
Lucas
Mr. Noise
I'd care to argue that last sentence.

The track is real good, but we also have the instrumental, which is really good and the fifth song. The third and fourth song are good too. And, also the second and seventh. >.<
----

21.07.2006 - 12:28
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Ok, I would wanted to start a little talk about lyrics. What are your favorite lyrics by them?

I've looked through the songs, and one really stood out by me. It is 'Sweet Leaf', written by Tchort.

Oh sweet leaf
Swaying in the wind
Under stars and moon
And sunrise gloom
Hanging on to the tree that gives you life

Oh sweet leaf
Has your time come?
Will your journey begin?
I'm afraid of falling and falling
With the wind
Away, away from your origins

Oh sweet leaf
Why did you leave?
Why didn't you stay?
How can I be your guardian angel?
When you are away?

Oh dear father
Let me tell you
I'd love to sway in the wind
Under stars and moon
And sunrise gloom
Clinging on to you

Oh dear father
Can't you see?
I'm not running away
I'm just searching for the real me

Oh dear mother
Why do we have to go?
Why don't we stay?
How can we be yours?
When we are always away?

Oh sweet leaf
When your time comes

Now, I find this a perfect metaphor. I don't need to explain for what, I think. It describes it so good, in such a touching way.. Superb!
----

21.07.2006 - 22:08
Soliloquy

yeah, i like the lyrics to that song too. it sort of goes against the 'fruit never falls far from the tree'. but still cool

humm..but my favorite lyrics would prolly be the whole triology of the 'childs play' or what ever its called, or 'light of day day of darkness'. but then again, i have yet to listen to their first and second album. i only have like light of day, day of darkness; quite offspring; and the acoustic verse. and the acoustic verse is still growing on to me, so it would take a lil while

and daru jericho, i dont know if sweet leaf is the BEST song on the album, coz i really like their 'alone' track as well. but to each his/her own huh?
----

-Zakk Wylde
24.07.2006 - 04:38
Daru Jericho

Hm...well, I don't have an absolute favourite song lyric but one that I like is 'Writings On The Wall'. It drops you in the middle of a scenario with a sharp opening, drawing you in immediately. There's something I can relate to in this lyric:

I would beg, I would plead
But you were still going to leave
The message that I couldn't see
Lying on the floor
The writings on the wall

I think a lot of people could relate to this particular lyric. Song is good too. Reminds me of My Dying Bride for some reason.

I picked up my Green Carnation ticket today. I'm quite intrigued though; on the ticket it has the number 3 at the bottom of it and I wonder if that means I'm the 3rd person to buy a ticket to that show from that particular outlet. I bought 2 other tickets from the same place and they've all got different numbers too, one being 113 and another being 20something. I still think the number of people at the gig will be tiny.

@Soliloquy: It's not THE best but one of my favourites. 'The Burden Is Mine' is probably a favourite of many people and I also love '9-29-045'. TBH most of that album is loveable, I guess I couldn't pick just one song. I love loney sounds in albums and this album has it in a lot of places.
----

01.08.2006 - 16:31
Soliloquy

oh man! light of day, day of darkness is such an awsome song! like today, my sisters woke me up at 6:30(after i slept at about 1:30ish) just so i can drop them to their bus stop. all in all, the car ride should have lasted me 10 minutes. so i decided to blindly pick this album(out of like 91 cds. haha) and yeah, as we were drivng, my older sister told me to shut it off coz the intro has kids, and they are sort of creepy. i told her to fuck off and i just turned it up even louder. then when i dropped them and got home, i had about 50 minutes to go in the song..yup, i just stayed in my car and listened to the whole thing before i went in. and now that i'm on my comptuer, i'm listening to it yet again! the song is just incredible....speaking of which, this gives me an idea for my play...

ignore what i'm writing next, its just a side note for me so i wont forget:

sleep beauty sleep,
my nightly bride;
my beautious life
no symphony
nor a sonata
played for eternity,
playing for light of day, day of darkness
shall ever match the notes of thien whispering breathe.
mine nightingale, mine desire....

think think think....meh
----

-Zakk Wylde