Style: Psychedelic rock, Stoner metal
Release date: November 2014

01. I.E.V. I - Circumambulating Mount Meru
02. Mercurian Mantra
03. Black Gandharvas
04. I.E.V. II - Observing The Centre Of Infinity
05. Descent Through The Intravoidal
06. Triads And Trishulas

Psychedelic music and its various derivatives have been making quite the strong comeback in the past decade, with a significant amount of younger bands now putting their own spin on the psilocybin-drenched sounds of the genre's forefathers. Newcomers Spectral Haze are hitting us hard this year as one of them, and they're ready to show us what all this fractal and ego death nonsense is really about.

I.E.V.: Transmutated Nebula Remains, the debut of this Norwegian four piece, is quite simply a force to be reckoned with. There's a lot of Hawkwind/Monster Magnet worship going on here, and the vibes go down hard. Immediately with the opening track we're plunged into another dimension with these psychonauts, complete with steady, repetitive grooves to evoke a trance state, more electronic effects than a Christian Bale movie, and the classic psychedelic guitar style, free flowing and dropping a few of its own solo notes here and there, but never losing sight of the main rhythm at hand. Your typical "aaah-aahh-ahhh" sort of vocals drift in and out here and there as well, but are largely dominated by the instrumentation. This is of no issue, however, as the music is already powerful enough even without vocals, and were Spectral Haze to go strictly instrumental, they could easily stand as worthy challengers to contemporaries such as Electric Moon and The Cosmic Dead.

Perhaps the strongest feature of the songwriting aspect of Spectral Haze's debut, however, is its fantastic sense of flow. All the tracks seem to blend and mesh together, which goes over excellently with this sort of music, as it creates a very Dark Side Of The Moon/Warrior On The Edge Of Time sort of feeling, the sense that the album is just one massive trip in itself, with each track only being a slight variation within it. The production is spot on as well: wide, "whole," and all enveloping, the sort of "space vacuum" effect that psychedelic music simply can't do without.

Without question, Spectral Haze are a band to keep your eye on. The idea of spacey acid rock is nothing new in itself, but the way these guys lay it down is enough to make you think that this album was released back in the early 70s if you didn't know any better. Along with the new Earth and Wo Fat albums, this is probably the best psychedelic album I've heard all year, and it's a powerful reminder to us that this style of music is alive, well, and perhaps stronger than ever. What would Timothy Leary be listening to if he was alive today? Quite likely Spectral Haze.

Not out for about another month, but in the meantime you can stream the band's demo, which, although a little less refined, is still an excellent work in itself.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 7
Production: 10

Written on 04.10.2014 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 159 users
04.10.2014 - 15:35
JayMo4

A 10 on songwriting is always going to pique my interest. Looks like it's bandcamp time!
04.10.2014 - 15:39
Diverge

Hmm I'm listening to the first few songs on the demo and so far I'm not that impressed.
04.10.2014 - 15:45
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by JayMo4 on 04.10.2014 at 15:35

A 10 on songwriting is always going to pique my interest. Looks like it's bandcamp time!

Like I said, maybe not to big on the originality factor, but they know what makes psychedelic music good, and they do it fabulously.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
04.10.2014 - 15:47
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Diverge on 04.10.2014 at 15:39

Hmm I'm listening to the first few songs on the demo and so far I'm not that impressed.

Stick around for this debut to come out, the demo is ok, but I do think this one is much more evolved with the rhythms and spacey sounds.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
04.10.2014 - 15:48
Diverge

Written by Auntie Sahar on 04.10.2014 at 15:47

Written by Diverge on 04.10.2014 at 15:39

Stick around for this debut to come out, the demo is ok, but I do think this one is much more evolved with the rhythms and spacey sounds.

Cool! I'll make sure to check it out...I was really into Wo Fat at some point, so I'm optimistic you can pick good things!
04.10.2014 - 17:22
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
I want this so badly. Your review is fantastic and should make any psych-junkie's mouth water.
09.10.2014 - 01:11
MetalDoomMaster

Happy 100th review
09.10.2014 - 01:52
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by MetalDoomMaster on 09.10.2014 at 01:11

Happy 100th review

Thanks man! It's been a loooooong journey. Totally not beneath me to admit that my first 4 reviews were pretty shit
----

~ II. VII

Hits total: 4906 | This month: 5