Metal Storm logo
Funk

05.10.2014 - 22:42
vgmaster9
Who here listens to funk music? I've never really gotten into it, but I'm wondering if there's anyone here that actually likes it. Anyone also recommend any good songs?

05.10.2014 - 23:32
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
It's funny because Funk is also the name of another genre of Brazilian "music", which turns out to sound somewhat like this, or sometimes even worse.
I think I got the worst of the impression of the funk genre as I was obligged to listen to that everywhere I went when I was in Brazil.

Those you put here may not be my cup of tea but at least they're actual music xD
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
19.10.2014 - 08:00
vgmaster9
Anybody else?
19.10.2014 - 14:42
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by vgmaster9 on 19.10.2014 at 08:00

Anybody else?

Me. But I never got past the usual James Brown, EW&F, KC, Chic, Kool & The Gang, MJ, Prince, Sly, etc... I have recently (last year) watched a series of documentaries on funk, soul and disco, about six hours of footage. And I was stupid enough not to write down the names I didn't know. I've always been very interested in that period in music, even if my knowledge is limited to the big lines. If you know any other good names vgmaster, I'm interested.

Also, I remember my mother being angry when she first heard Robot Rock by Daft Punk that used the same sample as in that Breakwater song. It's sad funk comes back to us only in the form of borrowed samples in rap and hip hop.
20.10.2014 - 09:01
vgmaster9
Written by Ilham on 19.10.2014 at 14:42

Written by vgmaster9 on 19.10.2014 at 08:00

Anybody else?

Me. But I never got past the usual James Brown, EW&F, KC, Chic, Kool & The Gang, MJ, Prince, Sly, etc... I have recently (last year) watched a series of documentaries on funk, soul and disco, about six hours of footage. And I was stupid enough not to write down the names I didn't know. I've always been very interested in that period in music, even if my knowledge is limited to the big lines. If you know any other good names vgmaster, I'm interested.

Also, I remember my mother being angry when she first heard Robot Rock by Daft Punk that used the same sample as in that Breakwater song. It's sad funk comes back to us only in the form of borrowed samples in rap and hip hop.

Here's a more modern song.