05. Heavy Lies The Crown
06. Into The Arms Of Morpheus
07. Mythical Knives
08. Bloodzilla
09. The Abyss
10. Titan
11. Blood Of Them
12. The Shadow Over Innsmouth

Always standing sturdy and swathing in their favoured pub's distinctive aroma, British stoner riff articulates Orange Goblin are the kind of band that know full well how blessed they are with a pool cue. If the game here be one of sinking their discographical equivalent of an eight ball, they've got this in the pocket.

It seems that it's a case of the older the bolder with these guys, yet with the volume of piss 'n' vinegar increasing at an exponential rate. Each successive record runs on a continual high of song writing adrenaline that gives ample reason for adulation for fans of the subgenre's melodically imbued. An uncompromising voice and rhythm section demands your attention in the same manner as an inebriated bar patron grabbing you by the scruff of the neck, turning you about then shouting alcohol induced mythical fancies into your face. Folks, pull up a seat, it's STORY TIME!

Their stonernaut's message to Earth in Back From The Abyss may appear to be somewhat generic fare, yet it continues to be delivered with such poise and know-how that the presentation here belies the exceptionally astute musicianship. After all, they've been to the Abyss and back to deliver what is a nicely varied track list that finds them as a clearly identifiable outlier in their metallic sub-genre's ilk. Take the beast "Bloodzilla" as the perfect exemplification of the band's brand. With a devastatingly rolling rhythm and up-tempo forward drive, a backing guitar screech cleverly projects an image for the lyrical line "Lightning strikes," a fun minimal feature to have listeners grinning from ear to ear. The band are not one to draw immediate attention to their influences, and "The Devil's Whip" is the kind of cut that lashes out into Motörhead territory with an "all guns blazing" attitude, yet driven home with a stoner metal personality all their own.

Changing things up with "Heavy Lies The Crown," we get dropped off in groove central before the track dynamically flows and shifts within a singular six minute song, which ably demonstrates the band's command over variation. This is a defining feature for them; never falling flat into hapless repetition and always ongoing in an expansion of their tunes, to which this latest record, as well as its predecessor A Eulogy For The Damned, provide their most well produced efforts. The sound is loud and housed in ample mastering to give the direct nature of the tracks their due.

Record to record, strength to strength, Orange Goblin's album number eight really is a ball.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 06.10.2014 by R'Vannith enjoys music, he's hoping you do too.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 119 users
07.10.2014 - 00:14
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
I've been enjoying the songs more lately, seemed uninspired upon first listen. Liking the Motörhead worship but think Blood Of Them is the best song on the album.
07.10.2014 - 01:43
Rating: 8
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Introspekrieg on 07.10.2014 at 00:14

I've been enjoying the songs more lately, seemed uninspired upon first listen. Liking the Motörhead worship but think Blood Of Them is the best song on the album.

I thought so too at first (seeming uninspired that is). Took a couple of goes for it to "sink in" (further pool pun intended)
07.10.2014 - 01:44
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Would I dig this shit R'? - thanks for the review
----
rekt
07.10.2014 - 01:46
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by tea[m]ster on 07.10.2014 at 01:44

Would I dig this shit R'? - thanks for the review

I think it would be very difficult to actively dislike this stuff, it's quite accessible and supremely catchy shit!
07.10.2014 - 22:16
FelixtheMetalcat

This looks and sounds (what little i've heard so far) to be right on par with Eulogy for the Damned. Still playing that album pretty regularly as that is where I finally got on board with this band & have been diggin into their back catalog. Very happy I found them & my ears will be very happy to acquire this album very soon ! They are just a plain ole fun band to listen to.
12.10.2014 - 21:19
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
I just listened to this one for the first time just now, Orange Goblin is a band I can always depend on to deliver the goods! They never let me down.

Hits total: 5022 | This month: 11