03. Come Look At The Darkness With Me
04. Ad Librum
05. Love Pass Filter
06. Oblivion
07. You
08. Transparent
09. No Reason
10. When Dreams Become Nightmares

Here's another of those albums that belong here by association rather than the immediate content. Although, in this particular case you can never really tell, which is the primary reason. But first, tell me, how many of you have listened to Eluveitie's "A Rose for Epona" and thought "why wouldn't they just let Anna Murphy handle all the vocals?" She's got such a stellar voice that isn't used to her full potential, and it's just a shame really. Here's an album that solves that particular problem of the equation.

When Dreams Become Nightmare is an album with a deeply disturbing imagery and sound, which might explain why it's been released on Debemur Morti Productions. It is extreme in the sense that it doesn't follow any rules. There are no limits, no boundaries, it's an experiment at creating a mood that is an attempt at a bleak, oppressive and haunting state of mind that could be associated with dark corners of human psyche, that of nightmares, paranoia, mental breakdown and insanity.

It happens to be a success of no small degree. It is mostly slower tempo experimental music, blending together dark synth and piano atmosphere, a lot of electronic samples and noises, distorted guitars, and the haunting, often ghostly and wailing vocals of Anna Murphy. But it's far from being just a mess. There's a direction and an underlying sense of purpose to this musical chaos making this album flow really well.

Parallels can be drawn to the later, crazy-era of The 3rd And The Mortal, when the band started doing musical experiments that sounded just plain out there. Lethe carries similarities to The 3rd And The Mortal in its music as well as the vocal lines. There's also a touch of Souvenirs and Black Light District by The Gathering present. However, in its depressive bleakness it reminds me of something you probably wouldn't know and which is totally unlike the album at hand other than the oppressive feeling and the lyrical topic: Antonius Rex's Hystero Demonopathy.

Anna Murphy and Tor-Helge Skei have come up with a disturbing album. An album like this makes you also wonder what goes on in the mind of a truly unstable person, as well as the mind of the musicians at the steering wheel. It poses questions you just don't know the answers to. Yet, at its core, it is a satisfying musical journey through the imaginary wastelands.

Written on 12.10.2014 by I shoot people.

Sometimes, I also write about it.

And one day I'm going to start a band. We're going to be playing pun-rock.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 229 users
12.10.2014 - 20:13
Zap
Very good review.
This is the reason I like reading reviews for albums that I already know through and through, especially when they're well-written. You basically describe what I already know, but couldn't put into words.
13.10.2014 - 02:15
mz
Yeah I liked this one. Nice review.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
13.10.2014 - 09:09
Bleeding angel
I'm in love with your review! You seem to have touched every topic the band bears.
13.10.2014 - 11:06
PocketMetal
Anna Murphy is great, I like her solo stuff too. This is one of the better albums this year, imo.
13.10.2014 - 12:59
Rating: 8
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
I'll be all over this album soon. This review makes me very curious
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
13.10.2014 - 15:49
Rating: 9
Draugen
I have only heard her vocals on the latest Nucleus Torn album and I thought they were somewhat hit or miss. Hopefully that won't be the case with this one.
13.10.2014 - 17:32
PocketMetal
Written by Draugen on 13.10.2014 at 15:49

I have only heard her vocals on the latest Nucleus Torn album and I thought they were somewhat hit or miss. Hopefully that won't be the case with this one.

She tends to be over the top with her vocals.
15.10.2014 - 10:16
Rating: 8
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
If you like Star Of Ash, you'll probably like this.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
01.11.2014 - 15:12
IronAngel
I had already forgotten about this album and how nice it is. Not great, but given that we haven't had another The 3rd And the Mortal, this'll do!
21.02.2015 - 21:21
angel.
Evil Butterfly
A touch of Souvenirs and Black Light District? Then it's a must listen for me.
----
The Fangirl.

Hits total: 5375 | This month: 30