05. Swords In The Wind
06. An American Trilogy
07. The March
08. Warriors Of The World United
09. Hand Of Doom
10. House Of Death
11. Fight Until We Die
12. Kill With Power [live] [Japanese bonus]

Let me start by saying that I've never really liked Manowar. I've found their music quite repetitive, and they're cheesier than a marguerita pizza. But in recent years they've made a small handful of songs that are catchy to listen to as well as being as cheesy as a double stuffed crust pizza with...

As with...all Manowar albums, the lyrical themes here are about metal, steel, war, heroics and fighting for metal in general. By 2002, this is starting to get a bit boring. The cover artwork for the album is also the classic Manowarian warrior similar to that on the cover of their Kings Of Metal album.

Ok now, so onto the music... Well structurally, the metal being played here is reasonably simple. It's basic Heavy Metal that works quite well. The music isn't slow paced, but each strum and riff change is generally a smooth, spread out transition. The band has modernised itself a bit more and the guitar-work is more solid. The drumming doesn't exactly blast your head off either. It's actually often like the sort of American "going-into-battle" style of drumming which fits in with their war theme. The bass isn't generally all that prominent, but there is a nice bass intro to the song "Warriors Of The World". I wouldn't say that Eric Adams is the best vocalist ever either. His vocal performance is quite flat toned, and sounds a bit monotonous after a while. Perhaps not as bad as you'd think it to be, but really not that interesting.

As a whole, Manowar have followed the usual formula for their albums. There are the metal tracks and also the piano tracks and the ballad style songs. You could say that the varying style of songs could be interesting, but I end up just skipping through the album as it really just causes about half the album to be boring. When listening to the Heavy Metal on the album though, at times it can be catchy, strongly played, nice listening music. But at times it can still sound bland.

So if you're a Manowar fan, you'll most likely enjoy this. They've followed their usual method, so you know what to expect. For everyone else, be warned that it's repetitive, but it's even repeating stuff they've repeated before. You might like to hear the three or four not-so-bad songs on this album, but I wouldn't really bother.

Best songs: Call To Arms, Fight For Freedom, Warriors Of The World.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 5
Production: 7

Written by Raiden | 07.02.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Maasai Mara
Rating:
For a band that claims to be the truest ambassadors and embodiment of heavy metal, this is the greatest joke that I have ever come across. Other than "Fight Until We Die," which has some weak guitar soloing, this album is devoid of guitar solos and the riffing is pretty mediocre and nothing special. The sound is heavy just for the sake of it being called heavy metal, and the accompanying lyrics? If you thought death metal lyrics are bad, then these lyrics will make you want to smash your face with a hammer.

Read more ››
published 16.03.2019 | Comments (13)

Comments

Comments: 28   Visited by: 160 users
07.02.2007 - 22:51
iaberis
Advice Troll
Quote:
they're cheesier than a marguerita pizza

LooooL! That's funny cause it's true... I usually enjoy listening to them, but after a bit I get bored of the same music... A change every now and then wouldn't be bad...
----
Bitch! Please
08.02.2007 - 04:09
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Written by iaberis on 07.02.2007 at 22:51

Quote:

LooooL! That's funny cause it's true... I usually enjoy listening to them, but after a bit I get bored of the same music... A change every now and then wouldn't be bad...

Haha yes, after 27 years, a change would actually be refreshing.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
12.02.2007 - 01:39
Rating: 8
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
The album wasnt that bad. Standing on its own its actually a really good album, originality isnt good well...reasons obvious, but its got quite a few good catchy tunes. definitly not deserving of such a low score.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
12.02.2007 - 11:33
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by Doc G. on 12.02.2007 at 01:39

The album wasnt that bad. Standing on its own its actually a really good album, originality isnt good well...reasons obvious, but its got quite a few good catchy tunes. definitly not deserving of such a low score.

Dude it's something like 7 - Good. Not albums deserve a 10 you know...
----
Bitch! Please
13.02.2007 - 00:22
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by iaberis on 12.02.2007 at 11:33

Written by Doc G. on 12.02.2007 at 01:39

Dude it's something like 7 - Good. Not albums deserve a 10 you know...

Im aware, but id give it more a 7.5.....i guess it really doesnt matter all that much, just 7 looks a hell of alot bigger than 6.8
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
03.04.2007 - 04:18
Rating: 9
Danny Thomas
dude, you didn't even mention hand of doom which might be the best song on the cd. but anyways, i am a manowar fan myself, but even i skip about half the album, im not a fan of those slow soft piano songs.
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
03.04.2007 - 09:50
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Written by Danny Thomas on 03.04.2007 at 04:18

dude, you didn't even mention hand of doom which might be the best song on the cd. but anyways, i am a manowar fan myself, but even i skip about half the album, im not a fan of those slow soft piano songs.

Well you don't necessarily need to go into detail about every single song in an album review. I thought that song was probably fourth best on the album, but it still didn't really strike me as being that good.
----
- Bruce Dickinson

03.04.2007 - 17:32
Danny Thomas
Written by Raiden on 03.04.2007 at 09:50

Well you don't necessarily need to go into detail about every single song in an album review. I thought that song was probably fourth best on the album, but it still didn't really strike me as being that good.

i thought it was a good review personally, we just have a slight difference in taste of songs.
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
04.04.2007 - 03:57
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Written by Danny Thomas on 03.04.2007 at 17:32

Written by Raiden on 03.04.2007 at 09:50

i thought it was a good review personally, we just have a slight difference in taste of songs.

Yes, everyone has different opinions as to which songs are good or not
----
- Bruce Dickinson

04.04.2007 - 15:20
APOHAKC
The Bard
Warriors Of the world s strange, but I liked the review
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
14.06.2007 - 12:35
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Swords In The Winds - this ballad rocks...i'm gonna get the full album to check the rest
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

01.07.2007 - 20:26
Rating: 7
Grey_Dandelion
an american trilogy is by very very very far their worst song ever..a real junk!the album is ok but worse than the older ones
----
Don't turn away just take my hand and when you make your final stand i ll be right there i ll never leave all i ask of you is believe...
02.07.2007 - 13:45
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i like the "heroic-pathos" of this album...and tracks Call to Arms, Fight for Freedom and Swords in the Wind are my favourite
----

19.12.2007 - 02:28
va5ilis
Account deleted
I believe that 6.8 is low for this album. Of course taking into consideration that the reviewer doesn't really like Manowar you realise that for someone who like Manowar the score is a bit higher. I wouldn't say that it's the best album they have made but there are definetely some diamonds in it like Call To Arms and Warriors Of The World United as well as a really good ballad Swords In The Wind.
I enjoyed this album quite a lot. Hope you do the same. m/
19.12.2007 - 03:07
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Well I tried not to let my previous Manowar encounters sway my rating. On reflection I think 6.8 was pretty generous of me haha.
----
- Bruce Dickinson

21.03.2009 - 15:00
DayFly
I never understood the point of having "An American Trilogy" on the album. The band can hail it's influences as much as they like, but they don't have to force-feed their listeners with stuff like that.
02.06.2009 - 10:58
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Call me crazy but i really liked this album, Warriors Of The World (United) is a really catchy song
29.09.2009 - 08:34
GamlaSonn
The second half of the album was great, the first half was meeeh

WARRIORS OF THE WORLD!
29.09.2009 - 12:38
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I like from this album (more or less):

Call To Arms
The Fight For Freedom
Nessun Dorma
Swords In The Wind
Warriors Of The World United
Hand Of Doom
----

29.09.2009 - 13:05
GamlaSonn
Mine:

Call to Arms
Warriors of the World United
Hand of Doom
House of Death
Fight Until We Die
02.10.2009 - 10:53
Slayer666
Raiden's right. These guys raise the meaning of cheesy to a whole new level. Their music is basicaly:
"Oooh, yeah! Look at us, we are such a big and bad bunch of tr00 metal warriors! But we actually play some of the most commercialized metal there is! And we haven't changed our style in over 20 years! That's so tr00!"
02.10.2009 - 14:27
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
This is true...but whatever?
----

06.04.2010 - 21:07
Valentin B
Iconoclast
The first time i ever heard Warriors of the World United 4 years ago on a defunct TV station, i fell in love instantly. that song is extremely interesting, the fact is that it's basically the simplest, most to-the-point metal song i've ever heard, and it works extremely well.

Warriors isn't one of my favorite Manowar albums, but it sure kicks ass.
06.04.2010 - 22:50
soadbyob
Account deleted
My favortie Manowar album by far
06.04.2010 - 23:42
Lord_Regnier
Written by Slayer666 on 02.10.2009 at 10:53

These guys raise the meaning of cheesy to a whole new level. Their music is basicaly:
"Oooh, yeah! Look at us, we are such a big and bad bunch of tr00 metal warriors! But we actually play some of the most commercialized metal there is! And we haven't changed our style in over 20 years! That's so tr00!"

Totally agreed.
The perfect band for people who want to boost their ego by thinking they're more 'metal' than everyone else around them, while in fact they listen to ultra-commercial poser cheesemetal.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
06.04.2010 - 23:45
Lord_Regnier
Written by Grey_Dandelion on 01.07.2007 at 20:26

an american trilogy is by very very very far their worst song ever..a real junk!

I agree that this trilogy is a real piece of junk. But it's not much worse than tons of other Manowar songs. Almost everything they ever done is pure junk.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
18.03.2012 - 09:36
INÆRIS
I can't believe they did a cover of Puccini's aria Nessun Dorma. They actually did a really great job with it. He's no Pavarotti, but it's a very powerful well-done interpretation. Manowar has officially earned my respect for bringing opera into metal and not failing at it.
----
Still Life, Still Death
03.08.2019 - 15:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by iaberis on 07.02.2007 at 22:51

Quote:

man they are even worth then pizza , its poswer band, I dont mind bands play shit metal, but other bands dont bitch thet they are best and play true metal
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 9068 | This month: 15