Metal Storm logo
Metal Playing Cards

Original post

Posted by M C Vice, 18.10.2014 - 13:35
An idea I've had for a while is a deck of playing cards with a different metal musician on each card. So what I want to know is who should be on these cards?
While 2 of the cards pick themselves (and it should be obvious who), who would you guys suggest for the cards. I'll also automatically put Tony Iommi in, cause he's Tony Iommi.

Rules:
The numbered cards (2-10, I'm including aces as face cards for this) should be instrumentalists, with the 4 suits each having a different instrument. The face cards (king, queen and jack) will all be vocalists. If they also play an instrument, they will go in the suit which corresponds to that instrument. Ace will be a singing instrumentalist. The kings should all be male and the queens female. The others can be of either sex. The jokers (either 2 or 4 in the deck) could probably be not musicians, but other people influential in metal, like cover artists, lyricists/songwriters, producers, managers, etc.

Clubs = guitars. Spades = bass. Hearts = drums. Diamonds = keyboards/others.

Designated cards:
Clubs: King = Bruce Dickenson. Numbered = Tony Iommi, James Hetfield, Mikael Akerfeldt, Dave Mustaine, Devin Townsend, Chuck Schuldiner, Euronymous, Ihsahn, Glen Tipton, Piotr Wiwczarek, Tom Warrior
Spades: Ace = Lemmy. King = Ronnie James Dio. Numbered = Cliff Burton, Steve Harris, Leif Edling
Hearts: King = Rob Halford. Numbered = Hellhammer, Cozy Powell, Joey Jordison, Dave Lombardo, Mikkey Dee
Diamonds: King = King Diamond. Numbered = Jens Johansen, Tuomas Holopainen, Rowan London
30.10.2014 - 05:10
Wukk

I'm pretty sure we don't have 52 active members
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator
30.10.2014 - 05:32
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Guest on 30.10.2014 at 03:26

I'm half tempted to change my profile pic so that you're forced to make a new one

You're gonna have to wait for the newer version of the deck then
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
30.10.2014 - 09:02
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Ilham on 30.10.2014 at 01:15

And if MC Vice comes with a full list of musicians for his set, I can do one every couple of days.

I'm still waiting for some more suggestions as to who should be there.

Added a few for each, filled the clubs (guitars). got 1 extra though, with one more to be the ace, any suggestions who it should be, which one (or more) should be droped and who should replace them.
Made Dio the king of spades (he used to be a bassist). Which way round should Halford and Dickinson be with hearts and clubs? Thinking Jorn, Kiske and Ozzy for 3 of the jacks. Who would be the top death vocalist who doesn't play an instrument for the 4th jack?
Haven't added Fenriz to the drums/hearts as I'm leaning towards making him the ace. Also can't decide where to put Quorthon, maybe see what's free at the end.
Ideas for the 4 queens?
Might make the tens non instrumentalist vocalists, too. See how many are needed.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
30.10.2014 - 17:10
Wukk

A couple of ideas, some more viable than others:

Part of me thinks Manowar should be the four Kings of Metal. But that's unfair on all of the more highly revered and probably more suitable artists you've all been suggesting. Especially King Diamond.

And on the subject of 4s, perhaps one number could have a Big 4 member for each suit? Not necessarily the frontman/band leader if you want to stick with the instrument theme for the suits.

And finally, the most (and maybe only) serious suggestion of the lot: reserve the 6s for black metal musicians.
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator
30.10.2014 - 20:30
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by M C Vice on 30.10.2014 at 09:02

Which way round should Halford and Dickinson be with hearts and clubs?

I nominate Dickinson for the King of Clubs, based on the fact that he plays guitar occasionally. In his solo career, but also (at least on one song) with Maiden. I'm not aware of Halford playing any instrument except harmonica on Priest's debut.
30.10.2014 - 21:01
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Guest on 30.10.2014 at 00:23

Daww how sweet :3

Can we make Marcel a queen? Please please pretty please?

Bahahaha ! You're playing with fire or as we say in my mother tongue, you're playing with the tail of lion ( it means you're dosing something risky) xD
----
The Fangirl.
31.10.2014 - 01:56
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Wukk on 30.10.2014 at 17:10

And on the subject of 4s, perhaps one number could have a Big 4 member for each suit? Not necessarily the frontman/band leader if you want to stick with the instrument theme for the suits.

And finally, the most (and maybe only) serious suggestion of the lot: reserve the 666s for black metal musicians.

Fixed your typo there.
Lombardo, Burton and either Hetfield or Mustaine for 3 of the 4s would work.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"