Metal Storm logo
Slipknot vs Lordi - Mask issue

Original post

Posted by iaberis, 09.02.2007 - 18:06
Although each band has a different musical style and public image, both bands wear masks. The masks are not similar, since Lordi wear a full costume and Slipknot usually simple masks with jumpsuits... Both costumes/masks are homemade and both bands tried to keep their true identity secret...
This whole conversation started with a friend of mine who's a fan of Slipknot and eventually it got serious, so here I am, asking for your opinion. What do you think?
Of course there's the GWAR case too...

Poll

Who originally started the mask thing in your opinion?

GWAR started the whole thing!
I don't care! Both suck!
Slipknot
Lordi

Total votes: 116
29.04.2009 - 04:59
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Wyrd on 29.04.2009 at 02:23

let it go man, I hate slipknot. and I have read some there lyrics and there Retarded, no offense to the mentally ill.

yeah, well, no point in trying to change someones tastes, that's for sure. you hate them, i like them. whatever...
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
07.05.2009 - 03:13
soadbyob
Account deleted
Slipknot! But does it really matter, all three kick so much ass it dosent really matter who started it first
07.05.2009 - 05:08
Metal_Militia
Written by Guest on 07.05.2009 at 03:13

Slipknot! But does it really matter, all three kick so much ass it dosent really matter who started it first

Wow
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

07.05.2009 - 11:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite

How could Slipknot have started it when in fact GWAR was already doing that mask stuff years before Slipknot was even formed?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.05.2009 - 03:09
Wyrd
Written by tulkas on 29.04.2009 at 04:59

Written by Wyrd on 29.04.2009 at 02:23

let it go man, I hate slipknot. and I have read some there lyrics and there Retarded, no offense to the mentally ill.

yeah, well, no point in trying to change someones tastes, that's for sure. you hate them, i like them. whatever...

Sorry if I came on a little harsh and pissed you of. but thanks anyways for trying to tell me the good things about Slipknot. I still think Kiss started the Costumes.
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
08.05.2009 - 03:36
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Wyrd on 08.05.2009 at 03:09

Sorry if I came on a little harsh and pissed you of. but thanks anyways for trying to tell me the good things about Slipknot. I still think Kiss started the Costumes.

Neh, no problem, man. it takes a whole lotta shit for me to get pissed off, so it's ok
----
08.05.2009 - 03:41
Wyrd
Written by tulkas on 08.05.2009 at 03:36

Written by Wyrd on 08.05.2009 at 03:09

Neh, no problem, man. it takes a whole lotta shit for me to get pissed off, so it's ok

Ya man I sometimes get pissed off way to easy and some times the Evil Falconer comes out to make an ass of himself. So thanks for understanding.
----
08.05.2009 - 03:45
tulkas
el parcero
@falconer: besides, i couldn't get pissed at you. you're 90yrs old, so i really gotta respect my elders
----
08.05.2009 - 04:07
Wyrd
Written by tulkas on 08.05.2009 at 03:45

@falconer: besides, i couldn't get pissed at you. you're 90yrs old, so i really gotta respect my elders

God Dammit am not 90. The birth date I put is an important date to me and I did not want to give my real birthday to the site

I'm 21!!!!!!!!!!
----
08.05.2009 - 19:07
symbolic727
I like slipknot but does it really matter who wore a mask first it is just a peice of clothing not music so it should not matter.
12.05.2009 - 05:08
soadbyob
Account deleted
I mean Alice Cooper started the whole costume/mask/face paint shock metal thing, if we were to get down to it.
And you're right marcel h, i obvisously didnt actually see who came first
13.05.2009 - 05:56
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
GWAR did started the whole deal with the masks. Although I think Alice cooper had a lot to do with it (Especially in respect to stage theatrics), Alice Cooper didn't wear one the whole time, for the whole career. I will also say that KISS has some stuff to do with it too especially with the outfits also. The mask thing (Not face paint on stage) and the way it was carried (more than the usual band compliment) was a GWAR thing.

Lordi visually is just a GWAR rip off (Until you hear the lyrics, then it's like a born again preacher's kid trying to be a "rebel" meets 80's kiss) and as for slipknot I don't see it like GWAR b/c they're a rock band with face masks who wanna resemble JAson from friday the 13th. Sorta like mushroom head, they have 650 people in the band but none of them can sit down and write anything really brilliant so they put up a cornball mask get up.

GWAR starterd in the late 80's with HELL-0 and is also more origional in character concepts. Since Lordi is taking themes from monster movies, and slipknot is taking their stuff from what appears to be a gothic comic book about puppets meets friday the 13th there's not a whole ton to the deal there on the "idea front". Mushroomhead rips off of Venom from marvel comics.
----
13.05.2009 - 20:08
terrorist
The singer form Lordi finished some kind of art school or whatever and he is profesional.That kind of masks that they wear,are made only in Holywood for the movies.He made all the masks.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
26.07.2009 - 00:01
Saitenhexerin
I do not know who it started, but Lordi and Gwar - that's too much for me. slipknot have chosen the right path in my opinion. I really like their music, and there's no doubt that their music would be the same without masks, but it is a great tool to polarize and make a statement. And I somehow understand them, I also wouldn't want everybody to see my face in magazines and stuff. And personally, for me it would be a lot easier to play with a mask live, because it is somehow a protection.
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
26.07.2009 - 06:39
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Written by Guest on 16.07.2009 at 17:08

GWAR started but I prefer Slipknot!!

Most definitely, I hadn't even heard of Lordi before I saw this thread.
19.02.2011 - 23:22
SATANSCHAMBER666
Account deleted
SLIPKNOT
25.02.2011 - 20:57
BrokenKnuckles
Written by Metal_Militia on 07.05.2009 at 05:08

Wow

agree...wow...
31.03.2011 - 14:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
There was Wanted Breed who also played at masks
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
31.03.2011 - 16:37
JD
Account deleted
Gwar and Slipknot are cool with masks! but Lordi are so not cool, if you ask me.
01.04.2011 - 05:40
Void_Eater
Account deleted
I don't care! Both suck!
01.04.2011 - 13:38
theFIST
Portal has masks too
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
04.05.2011 - 17:44
algirdongas
I think both suck but i would choose lordi because theyre not nu metal which i hate