Metal Storm logo
Static-X - Wayne Static Passes Away At Age 48

Static-X and publicists at FiXT Publicity issued a statement on their official Facebook page that frontman Wayne Static has passed away at age 48. Details are scarce and cause of death has not been revealed. He leaves behind a wife, former adult film actress Tera Wray, and a successful two-decade career.

Static, born Wayne Richard Wells, served as the vocalist, guitarist, and namesake of the now-defunct American industrial/nu metal group Static-X from its foundation in 1994 until a 2009 hiatus, and again from 2012 to 2013, when disputes over the name with former bassist Tony Campos prompted Static to dissolve the band. During that time, the band released six studio albums, and Static released an album of his own entitled Pighammer, in addition to numerous collaborations and guest appearances.

Known for his gravity-defying hair and penchant for writing songs about the town of Otsego, Michigan, Static was set to tour with fellow nu/industrial metallers Powerman 5000 and Drowning Pool. Our condolences go out to his family, friends, and fans at this news of his untimely passing.

Many bands and band members from around the world have been paying tribute to him and sending their condolences to his family. Some can be read below:

Corey Taylor (Slipknot) said: "I am absolutely devastated to hear about Wayne Static's death. A good man and a good friend. My thoughts are with his family and friends."

Motörhead tweeted: "We are very sad to hear of the passing of Wayne Static. #RIPWayneStatic"

Drowning Pool said in a statement: "We are totally in shock and devastated by the loss of our good friend Wayne of Static-X. Can't believe we lost another great rock Hero. Our heart goes out to Wayne's family and friends. We were so looking forward to touring together in the UK this January. Can't believe you're gone brother. Never easy loosing a friend. Sleep well..."

Dino Cazares (Fear Factory) wrote: "He's a true legend, a great guy and killer song writer. It sucks to lose a friend to something that you wish you could've helped him for. I would like to send out my condolences to the Wells family. R.I.P. Wayne Static. Keep Disco Evil."

[Also thanks to Sword_Chant for sending in this news!]

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Static-X
Posted: 02.11.2014 by ScreamingSteelUS

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 43   Visited by: 396 users
02.11.2014 - 12:05
Sword_Chant

I seriously can't believe this happened, R.I.P
02.11.2014 - 12:24
FYA
Destroyer
Well...if he died because of drugs overdose, he deserve for no respect.
02.11.2014 - 14:09
Sangre Sani

Written by FYA on 02.11.2014 at 12:24

You, sir, should burn.
02.11.2014 - 14:25
Rapid Fire

I've never been a fan of his music, but it's sad. R.I.P. man.
----
Twelve voices were shouting in anger, and they were all alike. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
02.11.2014 - 14:30
Eternity'sChild

If he died because of drug overdose, you can blame him, for his death, but you still should show (at least a certain amount of) respect.
I liked Shadow Zone, but the rest of his musical outputs never really appealed to me.
R.I.P.
02.11.2014 - 14:41
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Oh wow ! He doesn't look like a 48 year old guy :O I'm curious about his diet
----
The Fangirl.
02.11.2014 - 14:59
Sword_Chant

Static X were one of the first metal bands I ever listened to, I guess they're one of the many nostalgic nu-metal classic bands that, despite being radio friendly, still hold a special place in your heart. A bit like Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park (remember 'It's goin' down' featuring this guy?!?). I'm shocked about it, especially since he always looked young, you would never think the dude was 48. If he died from drugs it's his doing to have gone out that way, but you never know what's going on in these people's lives to cause them to do drugs, he was married to an ex-adult star after all. Nevertheless, R.I.P, far too young to die.
02.11.2014 - 15:28
foschino
Account deleted
Cause of death has not been revealed, but Cazares words "something that you wish you could've helped him for" leave no doubt
02.11.2014 - 17:44
FYA
Destroyer
Written by Sangre Sani on 02.11.2014 at 14:09

You, sir, should burn.

Because of...? Drug overdose is the most shameless way to die. Why? Because it was caused by HIMSELF. I can't understand this gloryfing. If he would died in car accident, or hearh attack - ok, it's sad and it's possible to understand. But if it caused by drugs, it means that he was stupid and ignorant enough to apply them to himself.

I just can't understand it - Kurt Cobain, Amy Winehouse, this guy from GWAR, and everybody is crying and writting 'RIP' or 'SO SAD'. But nobody is saying that drugs caused it and they all died because of their stupidity.

But if he die in some kind of normal way - RIP.
02.11.2014 - 17:45
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
No matter what will be the reason for his death is but this is a very sad news.

You can count me in one of those guys who has listen to Static-X while I was doing my schooling. Truly a talented musician and his contribution has always been rewarding.

R.I.P Wayne.
02.11.2014 - 17:49
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by FYA on 02.11.2014 at 17:44

Written by Sangre Sani on 02.11.2014 at 14:09

You, sir, should burn.

Because of...? Drug overdose is the most shameless way to die. Why? Because it was caused by HIMSELF. I can't understand this gloryfing. If he would died in car accident, or hearh attack - ok, it's sad and it's possible to understand. But if it caused by drugs, it means that he was stupid and ignorant enough to apply them to himself.

I just can't understand it - Kurt Cobain, Amy Winehouse, this guy from GWAR, and everybody is crying and writting 'RIP' or 'SO SAD'. But nobody is saying that drugs caused it and they all died because of their stupidity.

Drug dependence is a disease, so it is not correct to blame him for it. He was sick and he succumbed to the disease, the disease in this case being drug addiction. It is a shame that he did not get the help he needed to kick his habit, if drugs were indeed to blame for his death.
02.11.2014 - 17:51
FYA
Destroyer
But still - everybody know how it's easy to be addicted and everybody knows, what addiction can do with human mind and body, but they're still taking it. WTF is wrong with this.
02.11.2014 - 17:53
Lit.
Account deleted

Because of...? Drug overdose is the most shameless way to die. Why? Because it was caused by HIMSELF. I can't understand this glorifying. If he would died in car accident, or heart attack - ok, it's sad and it's possible to understand. But if it caused by drugs, it means that he was stupid and ignorant enough to apply them to himself.

I just can't understand it - Kurt Cobain, Amy Winehouse, this guy from GWAR, and everybody is crying and writing 'RIP' or 'SO SAD'. But nobody is saying that drugs caused it and they all died because of their stupidity.

Nothing to wrack your litte brain with. The dead is the dead, and the fact that you can't even be bothered to show respect for him, or sympathize with his family, friends, fans, and idols (since Lemmy and Dino Cazares, two people he was influenced by, paid their respects) on losing someone close to them makes you the worse kind of person.

So, you can fuck right off while people who aren't jackoffs pay their respects, OD or otherwise. Man, you're just as bad as Bad English.

Written by FYA on 02.11.2014 at 17:51

But still - everybody know how it's easy to be addicted and everybody knows, what addiction can do with human mind and body, but they're still taking it. WTF is wrong with this.

Why do you think it's so tragic in the first place, genius?
02.11.2014 - 17:58
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by FYA on 02.11.2014 at 17:51

Drugs can be a very positive thing if taken in moderation, so I wouldn't call everyone who tries them stupid (particularly the less potent ones like marijuana or alcohol). For some, due to various factors (family history, genetics, mental health etc.) the use turns into abuse and at this point, it is classified as a disease. The sick person is not capable of stopping and this is out of their control, and thus they can't be blamed for taking them again.
02.11.2014 - 18:33
Rot Teufel

Written by angel. on 02.11.2014 at 14:41

i guess genetic had an influence too. Someone could be full white at 18 years and others could still have full pigment at 70 years. Same for skin.

Anyway this news is a bit unexpected... 10 years ago when i got shorters hairs and carring a Lincoln beard a lot of guys tells me i was his clone (but i got light blue eyes). Kinda funny fact.
R.I.P. Wayne
----
Destroy all dreams, illusion damned in fire... A hellish need for power, it's my dark desire...
02.11.2014 - 18:58
Olber

I was a huge fan of Static-X several years ago, before I got really into metal. They were a bit silly but it was kind of a guilty pleasure... Wisconsin Death Trip and Cannibal were their best albums in my opinion.

Wayne had become quite an asshole in the last few years of Static-X and I wasn't really sad when they disbanded. But hearing he passed away... wow. Whether or not you like his music, you have to respect the guy as a musician who created his very own, distinctive style. RIP.
02.11.2014 - 19:08
Unhealer
Eclecticist

I guess you just can't look old with that hair.
02.11.2014 - 19:16
Mechaniacal

Grew up listening to Push it.

R.I.P Wayne
02.11.2014 - 19:28
Kennoth

Edgy kid is edgy.

Go fuck yourself.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
02.11.2014 - 20:04
Darkside Momo
Retired

wiki says he was a vegetarian
BTW, gotta listen to some Wisconsin Death Trip
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
02.11.2014 - 20:33
Maco
Pvt Funderground
I think it's a good moment to listen something from Static-X now.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
02.11.2014 - 20:34
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I was never into Static-X, but it's still sad. Seems like he had a lot of friends in the industry and was respected.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
02.11.2014 - 20:37
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Darkside Momo on 02.11.2014 at 20:04

wiki says he was a vegetarian

Aha! That's it, I told ya that eating too much meat won't do us good
----
The Fangirl.
02.11.2014 - 20:58
Machiavelli
Account deleted

Wrong. It is you who will get no respect. Yes, he died an undignified death but he shouldn't be judged because of that. I wonder how you'd feel if that was one of your friends... oh wait, you don't have any.
03.11.2014 - 00:03
Zap

I sincerely hope that if you ever find yourself in his position, your friends and family won't be as ignorant as you are.
03.11.2014 - 00:53
chronic-headache

Loved WDT, Mahcine had some good tracks, and while I have gotten every release cept Pig Hammer, I've been kinda lukewarm to everything post Machine. This is still a sad thing, no matter if it's via OD or otherwise. He was able to build a bridge between (hardrock/nu-) metal and dark-electro-industrial and not have it sound horrible. WDT will be playing for ah while in my house in his memory.
03.11.2014 - 02:29
foschino
Account deleted
When these things happen, even when Paul Grey died, then everybody in the music industry says: "we were so close, he was my bro, what a good fellow", but musicians keep on dying by drug abuse and no one of the "bros" help them when they are still alive and struggling. There's a lot of insincerity going on here.
03.11.2014 - 04:03
VileVick-Bryant

One of my favorite singers dies. rip
03.11.2014 - 05:21
Badula

You're a fucking piece of shit.

I hope you get cancer of the asshole.
03.11.2014 - 08:41
Necrodamus

What an ignorant and disrespectful thing to say. Anyways, this is still a shame. RIP Wayne.

Hits total: 7158 | This month: 10