07. The Holy Grail
08. The Throne
09. Sacred Mind
10. Miracle Machine
11. Grand Parade
12. Doom [earbook edition bonus]

The Best Power Metal Album Of 2015

Additional info
Earbook includes 12 songs, illustrations, photos, and liner notes.
Nuclear Blast mail order earbook includes 12 songs, illustrations, photos, liner notes, and a bonus 10".

Produced by Charlie Bauerfeind and Blind Guardian.

Staff review by
R'Vannith
Rating:
It was hinted At The Edge Of Time. A new symphonic focus and refinement that would bring Blind Guardian's sound fully into modern times. Production has never been as important in showcasing yet another distinctive album experience in their pioneering style of power metal. What lies beyond is assurance as much as surprise.

Read more ››
published 17.01.2015 | Comments (30)

Found in 53 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 4

Comments: 93   Visited by: 1417 users
22.03.2015 - 10:43
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Hellthunder on 21.03.2015 at 23:05

I kind of feel sorry for you guys who can't get into this album...

I feel sorry for you that you haven't cleared the mess out of your ears.

This album doesn't have a depth plus it lacks in many directions. It sounds good enough but then if you dig it, you feel it was loosely connected.

I won't be surprised if Beyond The Red Mirror nominated in "Biggest Letdown" in MS Awards 2015.
22.03.2015 - 19:26
Fearmeister
Account deleted
22.03.2015 - 19:30
Rating: 7
CyberSymphony
Ollie
This was a bit of a letdown for me to, compared with At the Edge of Time which I enjoyed alot, this one didn't do it with me. Gets interesting sometimes but overall just plain ok.
24.03.2015 - 08:49
Rating: 6
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
I'm rather impressed by this. They've managed to use all the ingredients to be epic, but have somehow managed to not be.

On a side note, does anyone else hear a Queen influence in a lot of their ballads?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
24.03.2015 - 18:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 22.03.2015 at 10:43

I won't be surprised if Beyond The Red Mirror nominated in "Biggest Letdown" in MS Awards 2015.

we will see about it Helloween is coming as well

Kamelot, maybe ,,,, I will judge in the end of this year but from sucky albums IMO this is best ---
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.03.2015 - 18:24
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 24.03.2015 at 18:06

Kamelot, maybe ,,,, I will judge in the end of this year but from sucky albums IMO this is best ---

Oh? Worse than Liturgy?
24.03.2015 - 18:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 24.03.2015 at 18:24

Written by Bad English on 24.03.2015 at 18:06

Oh? Worse than Liturgy?

affirmative Hellween cant write good album after 80's they have super big tallant to fuck it up
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.03.2015 - 06:35
Rating: 10
mikeprado30

Wow, not many love for this one.

I don't know, but at least IMHO this album was nice musically, but the production was really bad (and it was weird, because Charlie was doing nice work since ATEOT, the compilation Memories from a Time to Come had nice remastered songs and the 15 disc boxset was a nice work also).

I feel the people judges too harsh the album just for the production.
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
25.03.2015 - 09:15
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by deadone on 25.03.2015 at 07:02

Written by mikeprado30 on 25.03.2015 at 06:35

I feel the people judges too harsh the album just for the production.

Production is critical. Production determines music's emotion and vibe (e.g. ramp up guitars with a more sharp sound and it's getting back to aggressive speed metal whereas ramping up keys makes it more melodic and poppy). Or in this case sterile, hollow and overpolished.

But it's not just production. The song writing is flaccid, unremarkable and boring. Worst thing Blind Guardian has ever done IMO.

I'm not sure what they could have done to fix it. The whole thing just didn't seem to click. I was expecting a whole album of Sacred Worlds but nothing seemed to reach the expectations.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
26.03.2015 - 02:25
Rating: 8
musclassia

Written by deadone on 26.03.2015 at 00:30

Seriously though, maybe they need a break. A temporary break up is better than sullying your own legacy with crap releases. But then new albums might be driven by cashflow requirements and not artistic urges to write music.

To be fair, whilst this album is a clear step down from... pretty much their entire catalogue, I'm not sure that is overly needed, as:

1) This is their first album since 2010 - I think 5 years without a new material release would qualify in the temporary break category and certainly doesn't come across as money-driven activity
2) Their last album, ATEOT, has a reputation outside of my own opinion as a good album, not just from the 'ZOMG' fanboys but from a reasonable majority of relatively sane metal enthusiasts too, sufficiently enough to not set off alarm bells then, and
3) Even if the songs here are a step down from their post-millenial works and arguably more harmed by their overproduction style than anything else to date, and even though many others beside yourself are disappointed by the album, it's not been such a failure as to draw concern to their future just yet.

As it is, as far as I'm concerned Blind Guardian are the only classic power metal band that have been producing music of real lasting interest for quite some years (although Helloween are still transiently enjoyable), and until Kamelot step up their game again after their last couple BG will be the only power band I focus much attention on and get excited over upcoming music from, and I think this album is decent if ultimately a forgettable effort in their discography, and I'm still seriously considering going to see them next month. I certainly don't think this album is a money album over an actual artistically driven release despite its relative disappointment factor, and I'd be more than happy to see what they next release, although that might not be until at least 2019 given their recent release schedule.
26.03.2015 - 06:06
mikeprado30

I just think is a matter of tastes, cause I know some people satisfied with the production for this album, and other ones who were disappointed with ATEOT and with BTRM they got back their faith for the band. And is a bit weird to see many complains at this site. But never mind, everyone has his/her own musical criteria.

And about the next BG album, this one will be the orchestral one, I hope won't suffer the "SHITnese DemoCRAPcy by FATxl Roast Beef" effect.
----
06.04.2015 - 14:08
musclassia

Been weighing up whether to travel to London to see BG next weekend, primarily because I've been pondering how much of this album they'll play and how much it'll affect my enjoyment, so I decided to give it another go without the excitement over a new BG album clouding my judgement. I really think it's pretty neat. I mean it is similar to the last 3 albums in terms of approach and production but not quite as good, so I can see anyone who doesn't particularly enjoy their modern approach not liking it, but I really think for a 30-year-old power metal band, this album sounds far more interesting and less out of ideas that it has any right to when compared to the competition. I found the songs throughout to be enjoyable, and not in a 'same old same old, unremarkable but competently pleasant' manner from a band treading water but in a 'this is actually entertaining' manner.
10.04.2015 - 20:49
Rating: 9
erl00

Hi all, this is my first BG album and I must confess that I was a bit lost at first hearing. With rythm changes every 15 seconds, not that many guitar riffs, the feeling to listen to a full book each song, etc.
But the more I listen to it and the more I like it. Except The Miracle Machine that I really don't like (Yes, to echo an earlier poster, It sounds like a Queen song), I really enjoy all the songs very much.
I'm glad to have discovered this band through such a great album and I'm gonna get previous albums as well.
14.04.2015 - 05:38
mikeprado30

Written by erl00 on 10.04.2015 at 20:49

Hi all, this is my first BG album and I must confess that I was a bit lost at first hearing. With rythm changes every 15 seconds, not that many guitar riffs, the feeling to listen to a full book each song, etc.
But the more I listen to it and the more I like it. Except The Miracle Machine that I really don't like (Yes, to echo an earlier poster, It sounds like a Queen song), I really enjoy all the songs very much.
I'm glad to have discovered this band through such a great album and I'm gonna get previous albums as well.

I recommend you specially their best one IMHO: IMAGINATIONS FROM THE OTHER SIDE! But every album has its own glory
----
14.04.2015 - 21:05
JÄY
Metal slave
Damn, Doom kicks ass
18.04.2015 - 19:25
ashgard

Its an odl truth, that I cannot rate Blind Guardians album after first, second, even third hearing. It allways need time to get into it, its not firstplane music. After month I simply love it, so take your time and dont rate after first hearing.
24.04.2015 - 15:49
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by mikeprado30 on 14.04.2015 at 05:38

Written by erl00 on 10.04.2015 at 20:49

I recommend you specially their best one IMHO: IMAGINATIONS FROM THE OTHER SIDE! But every album has its own glory

I recommend him Nightfall In Middle-Earth, that is glory, hehe
26.04.2015 - 18:23
Andreas

The album has finally landed with me. It feels great to be able to behave like a snobby Blind Guardian fan again It's now a strong album of 2015 contender as far as I'm concerned. But I'm gonna be happy to hear some band top this one.

By the way, I don't think power metal is the right term for this music. But I have no idea what to call it.
20.08.2015 - 18:35
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Oh man, I started my day thinking: "you know what? Today I feel like listening to some Blind Guardian tunes, lets spin their new album, I'm stoked!"

Meh, that was underwhelming, I mean, some parts are damn good, but in the end it feels like they put so much effort in the orchestra and less work in, you know, riffs and shit!
C'mon, there are parts where you can't even hear the guitars and the bass doesn't even exist.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
28.08.2015 - 20:19
Toxik

I am pretty young and this was the first Blind Guardian album I bought. Well i liked it a lot but i don't quite understand the coments. Maybe I sould listen to more albums by them and judge.
29.08.2015 - 13:24
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Toxik on 28.08.2015 at 20:19

I am pretty young and this was the first Blind Guardian album I bought. Well i liked it a lot but i don't quite understand the coments. Maybe I sould listen to more albums by them and judge.

They are quite solid in all of their career, the evolution of them went toward the symphonic style more and more in each album, so lets say you will find people with tastes in both sides.
But, no doubt about it, this is a work of art, within reach to very few bands.
29.08.2015 - 18:39
Toxik

Written by Vikcen on 29.08.2015 at 13:24

Written by Toxik on 28.08.2015 at 20:19

They are quite solid in all of their career, the evolution of them went toward the symphonic style more and more in each album, so lets say you will find people with tastes in both sides.
But, no doubt about it, this is a work of art, within reach to very few bands.

The band does seem quite unique but sometimes the symphonic elements dosn't add much like in Grand Parade.
13.11.2015 - 23:04
Zyk

I really don't like power metal. I've only ever been able to stand 3 or 4 power metal albums and this was the first I ever heard from Blind Guardian. They definitely made a great impression and confirmed for me that power metal has a massive amount of potential in terms of songwriting as well as musical talent when it's done right. Check this one out. Prophecies and Distant Memories are 2 of the best songs I've heard this year.
16.11.2015 - 09:53
angel_heart

Disappointing on the first few listens, and then keeps getting better and better the more attention you pay to it. In fact, one day I ended up surprised by how much I love it and how come I didn't see it sooner. Now I think it's a great album, but one that definitely takes time to appreciate properly.
16.11.2015 - 18:43
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by angel_heart on 16.11.2015 at 09:53

Disappointing on the first few listens, and then keeps getting better and better the more attention you pay to it. In fact, one day I ended up surprised by how much I love it and how come I didn't see it sooner. Now I think it's a great album, but one that definitely takes time to appreciate properly.

Yep, that is really true, also happened to me.
24.05.2016 - 15:11
BlackMetalDay

I have listened this album many many times, and I don't manage to like it as much as I hoped. The main problem IMO is that the vocals are too high in the mix whereas the guitars are too low, and also that in many songs the vocals are not enjoyable. Of course Hansi sings very well, but the melody of the vocals is not pleasant to hear. Examples : the chorus of "The Throne" ("We must confess we are liars"...), the chorus of Sacred Mind ("Xanadu... My Xanadu..." )
Too bad because the compositions are good, the instruments also, and some songs are very enjoyable (Prophecies, Grand Parade).
30.01.2017 - 18:26
The only thing that still bugs me on this record is the songwriting most of the time. And that's a KO criteria
04.07.2019 - 22:28
Athenar

A fantastic album that takes some time to get into
09.10.2019 - 18:13
Rating: 7
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Interesting note, Doom is actually a cut track from Nightfall In Middle Earth. Hansi said he re-worked the lyrics a bit for this release. Anyway, its amazing and by far the best song on this album!
11.05.2020 - 08:59
Rating: 5
majormalfunction

As someone earlier here in the comments put it well is that the problem with this (and for also the previous album) is the lack of red thread in the songs. Most songs seems to be compiled of a lot of good ideas but when stringed together it never feels coherent and makes the album very difficult to enjoy. I would say the album is on par with At the Edge of Time overall but lacks any highlights at all.
----
Everything's twice as bright with money in your hands

Hits total: 27210 | This month: 52