Metal Storm logo
Fear Factory

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 10.02.2007 - 11:40
Fear Factory were one of the first metal bands I got into all of them years ago when my taste in music was being forged.
The first album I heard was 'Obsolete' and after a few listens I was hooked and soon explored all of the albums they had out at that time.

They split up after the release of 'Digimortal' (which most consider to be their worst album - or they did before 'Transgression' came out anyway) and not much fuss was made about it - but then after reforming again without Dino and with Christian on guitar and Byron from Strapping Young Lad on bass, they released 'Archetype' - a rather aggressive album and possibly the most extreme album they have done also (behind 'Soul Of A New Machine' and 'Concrete').

The last album 'Transgression' is very watered down and the production isnt great on it at all - I wasnt a fan of it until I saw them tour and perform a few tracks from it live, thats when it seemed to come alive for me.
I still dont think it is anywhere near their best though - and going by some interviews, the band realises themselves as well (with the U2 cover and all..)

If you are interested, here is the setlist I got from the Fear Factory show:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/Baz_Anderson/Misc/FFSL.jpg

'Demanufacture' is probably my favorite album by far though, and the first four tracks being my favorites. It seems to be the pinnacle of Fear Factory's lifespan thus far. 'Obsolete' is probably my second favorite and then 'Archetype'

Let me know your opinions on Fear Factory; favorite album, etc. - all are welcome.
29.01.2009 - 13:37
_HIV_
Written by Ascendant187 on 29.01.2009 at 09:27

Written by _HIV_ on 28.01.2009 at 22:00

FF is an awsome band! my favorite albums are Soul of the new machine , damanufacture and digimortal! too bad they didnt invite dino back when they reformed although christian did a great job as a guitarist on archetype album! althrough a gr8 band!

Dino's axing from the band didn't really alter things too much in the way of the music. Personally I thought the guy was a bit seedy and they've been better off without him. I'm hoping whenever they release new material its in the same vein as Archetype.

well actualy i miss dino on records, mainly becouse of the sound of the guitars ... must admit though christian plays better and more precise then dino live!
29.01.2009 - 14:33
Ascendant187
Written by _HIV_ on 29.01.2009 at 13:37

Written by Ascendant187 on 29.01.2009 at 09:27

Written by _HIV_ on 28.01.2009 at 22:00

FF is an awsome band! my favorite albums are Soul of the new machine , damanufacture and digimortal! too bad they didnt invite dino back when they reformed although christian did a great job as a guitarist on archetype album! althrough a gr8 band!

Dino's axing from the band didn't really alter things too much in the way of the music. Personally I thought the guy was a bit seedy and they've been better off without him. I'm hoping whenever they release new material its in the same vein as Archetype.

well actualy i miss dino on records, mainly becouse of the sound of the guitars ... must admit though christian plays better and more precise then dino live!

"The infection has been removed. The soul of this machine has improved" -- while that may or may not be about Dino, I certainly think its the case. They're better off with Christian playing guitar and having Byron on bass definitely doesn't hurt. I haven't been able to see them live since the change but I have heard more than once that Christian has more or less eclipsed Dino.

The thing to remember most, too, is Dino seems to be doing just fine with Divine Heresy.
20.02.2009 - 06:28
munson
Man, it sure is good to see people still talking about Fear Factory. I've loved these guys since I first discovered them a while back. [i}Archetype[/i] is a brilliant album, and most likely my vote for their best album as well as my favorite.
16.10.2009 - 15:25
Hamird
Lieutenant
The new album has been submitted.. But, I have no idea which group have done this.. Team of Cazares and Bell or team of Olde-Wolber and Herrera? I think it would be better than two teams hold a tag team wrestling match, with WWE extreme rules.. The winner releases the album!