Metal Storm logo
Rammstein - Herzeleid review

Reviewer:

676 users:
Band: Rammstein
Album: Herzeleid
Style: Industrial metal
Release date: September 1995

01. Wollt Ihr Das Bett In Flammen Sehen?
02. Der Meister
03. Weisses Fleisch
04. Asche Zu Asche
05. Seemann
06. Du Riechst So Gut
07. Das Alte Leid
08. Heirate Mich
09. Herzeleid
10. Laichzeit
11. Rammstein

Rammstein is a very unique band, which music has been described acquainted with so many different musical styles that it's impossible to associate their sound with something else than the name of the band itself. Using a lot of keyboards, a repetitive and obsessing rhythm perfectly conducted by the drummer and the repetitive lyrics in the mouth of their great singer. Rammstein is also one of the only German band using their native language for the lyrics and their short-lived attempt to make English versions was a call for them to continue with their smart choice. Of course, with the barrier of the language and the ambient stupidity of some listeners, the band has been and is still falsely accused of neo-nazism propaganda and other handmade stories. These theories have been widely spread also due to the complexity and weirdness of their lyrics, most of the time referring to very dark themes such as pain and suffering. As it's the case on their debut album entitled "Herzeleid".

The hypnotic power of Till's voice enhances a lot of compositions on this album while the keyboard lines add a feeling of uneasiness close to dementia to the music. Standards of the band such as 'Weisses Fleisch', 'Rammstein', 'Heirate Mich' and 'Du Riechst So Gut' are pure jewels and blend altogether with the ballad 'Seemann' into a powerful and majestic album.

The production is clearly less enjoyable than on their second album "Sehnsucht", but it's almost a detail seeing the great quality of the songs. Also, the broad use of keyboard lines totally turns "Herzeleid" into a must-have for people in quest for dark ambient metal. Some choruses will haunt you forever and there is no denial that "Herzeleid" is obviously a rare thing, as both a debut album and a masterpiece.

Powerful, mechanical, dark, hypnotic and insane, "Herzeleid" is altogether a different style of music and it can scarcely be criticized due to huge amounts of talent, innovation and creativity invested in this album. Retrospectively, amongst "Herzeleid", "Sehnsucht" and "Mutter", my pick would be this one as the usual rawness of debut albums has forgotten to show up on "Herzeleid". A majestic first effort for a no less majestic band, this masterpiece deserves a special place in your CD collection.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 8

Written on 03.02.2004 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Guest review by
Bas
Rating:
Herzeleid was Rammstein's first full-length album, and in the opinion of many, me included, their best. Already the opening of the first track, 'Wollt Ihr das Bett in Flammen sehen?' is a clear sign as to what awaits the listener on this CD. At first straightforward and really catchy metal riffs with a slight electronical feeling and a really strong groove greet the listener and set the mood for Till Lindemann's unmistakable voice asking the listener if s/he want to see the bed blazing. Then, a short while later, comes the first really catchy chorus of the album "SEX, is a battle! Love is a war?".

Read more ››
published 16.06.2007 | Comments (5)

Guest review by
spoonerX
Rating:
THE SOUND

I've been looking for a sound like Herzeleid and never found it. The unique balance between machine sound and "traditional music" is perfect. The very deep vocals of Lindemann adds to the intensity of the lyrics an insane way to see many things. As I almost died from head banging on Weißes Fleisch and Asche zu Asche, the atmosphere changes rapidly to the beauty of Seemann. Calm, almost still, the bassist Riedell gives a wonderful performance. After Du riechst so gut, we can hear Das alte Leid with the legendary ICH WILL FICKEN!!! Then fallows Heirate Mich. The sound of the song is somewhat slower, and the "head banging" musical moments are shorter. Again the vocals make the song even madder than it already is, especially in the last few lines, when an effect is added. The last track of the album that really is different may be Herzeleid. The voice and the guitars work wonderfully together, and when Flake's Klavier solo comes in, followed by a guitar solo, it takes the song to another level. I believe that this song proves that being six members in a band is no problem, and that everybody has his place.

Read more ››
published 18.01.2009 | Comments (0)

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 69 users
10.02.2007 - 14:42
Carrion
Account deleted
This is one of my alltime fav. records, and the songs Rammstein and Du Riecht So Gut are both in my current top10 tracklist
11.02.2008 - 21:56
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Certainly a great albvum... Spite the flowery cover
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
23.07.2008 - 13:31
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
If you not concider Du riecht so Gut a brutal song... you fail at life.
There.... I said it

This album is magic man. I really like it, hypnotic at it max and creppy. Very good stuff.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.01.2009 - 01:00
Rating: 9
spoonerX

What's the thing with Du riechst so gut to be a brutal song??
and theres so many other songs on that record that are much better.. and more brutal..(Weisses Fleisch,, Asche zu Asche)
----
its when you travel that you realise that man will never really belong to a country...

Attending:
Rammstein - Paris, Bercy: 8th of december
10.01.2009 - 19:55
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by spoonerX on 09.01.2009 at 01:00

What's the thing with Du riechst so gut to be a brutal song??
and theres so many other songs on that record that are much better.. and more brutal..(Weisses Fleisch,, Asche zu Asche)

It was an unserious comment... I found it funny that someone actually thought it was serious.

And one more thing: tastes differ.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
22.01.2009 - 04:00
spoonerX

Why is everyone sarcastic here lol

and I know that taste differs..
----
its when you travel that you realise that man will never really belong to a country...

Attending:
Rammstein - Paris, Bercy: 8th of december
16.10.2009 - 13:36
Solstafir!

Du Riechst So Gut and Seemann are two outstanding songs from this album...and I really love the video of the former, with it's dark gothic imagery...

Hits total: 11738 | This month: 23