Release date: April 2014

01. Rigor Mortis
02. My Freedom
03. Lionheart
04. Angry Tears
05. Vae Victis
06. The River Suite
07. Soldatino Industriale

Italic keeps one hand on streamlined melodic prog at all times, but beware that other hand, it's off grabbing at everything and getting sticky in other music. If you like your prog to be really weird then this may not satisfy, but everyone else can be assured of twists, turns, and surprises. And like good prog should be, it'll take repeated listens to fully comprehend these elements.

LoreWeaver is a 5-piece from Alessandria, Italy. After releasing their debut in 2011, sophomore album Italic has been in the works since 2012. It feels like the band has solidly found their stride, yet is still on an upward trajectory and has even more development in store.

I greatly enjoyed the use of piano in addition to the other keyboard sounds. It's not used very often, but I found it to be one of the little treats to bring a unique mood to several key moments. Francesco Salvadeo's clean guitars also take the spotlight only when needed and it's almost a breath of fresh air. The solos come up just enough to be appreciated and then greatly desired. Alternatively, the music can get very crunchy at times. The gritty opening track sets the scene nicely, and some electronic vocal effects are sparsely yet well used. Songs range from 5-15 minutes and never feel long. Why is this? More surprises will be left for the listener to discover.

Vocalist Barbara Rubin brings passion and character with her naturally classic heavy metal sound, though some may tire of her vocal technique. As this is only the sophomore album I think she'll only improve. The potential is certainly there.

Lyrics can get very interesting as well. The second track "My Freedom" opens with a creepily sung,

"What do you think about music... progressive?
What do you think about people... freak?
Uh... I'm afraid... I'm afraid of these so heavy guitars, only vintage synthesizers!"

LoreWeaver is currently touring Belgium and the Netherlands. If that's your neck of the woods, please go rock out for me!

(Edit: Shortly following the release of this album, singer Barbara Rubin left the band. She's been replaced by Irma De Carli.)

Written on 09.11.2014 by Susan appreciates quality metal regardless of sub-genre. Metal Storm Staff since 2006.

Twitter: @HeavyMetalSusan

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 38 users
10.11.2014 - 13:19
Rating: 7
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I would probably like this. I want to check it out

The cover is nice too.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.