03. Jester
04. The Phoenix Cry
05. Reflection
06. Insanity
07. The Phoenix Rebirth
08. Light And Darkness
09. What Do You Want From Me?
10. Craven

This is the kind of album that is impossible for me to resist. Self-released, with a huge help from a crowdfunding campaign, and one that rewards the listener with endless enthusiasm, warmth, and easily one of my favorite songs of the year. Lyria's Catharsis is at once symphonic, heavily dosed in alternative, and melodic at every turn.

My first exposure to the album was with the video track, "Jester," a song that does not waste time with experimenting or trying too hard to be anything but what it aims to be: a superbly catchy melodic track with some stellar vocals by founder Aline Happ. The main guitar riff, played here by session guitarist and producer Celo Oliveira, is developed throughout the song fluidly with classic arrangements, from lengthy chords to front and center heaviness. Eliezer Andre's drumming delivers the backdrop that keeps the focus uptempo without overshadowing the melody, and some well-placed programming gives the song the extra touch of atmosphere.

What I love about Aline's vocals, not just on "Jester," but throughout Catharsis, is that her singing embodies the lyrical content perfectly. Her vocals are confident in their innocence, and despite so much of the album's themes being that of overcoming deception in interpersonal relations, she's strong enough to not lose sight of her inner warmth despite the disappointments life has offered.

But Aline's vocals are not just limited to what you'll hear on "Jester," nor does the band sit idly and play the same song for the album's forty minutes. For those who enjoy some operatic singing and want a little more symphonic metal, "Insanity" offers a chorus full of it. And after several tracks without this vocal style, it comes in even more exciting as she sings "I want you away from me! Leave me!" just a minute after the song's beginning.

Not only do the guitar riffs on "Insanity" and so many others deliver catchy alternative-sourced heaviness, nearly each song offers some quite fine solos that are to the point, and never touch on indulgence. Perhaps the most dynamic track, "The Phoenix Rebirth," gives us a pounding mid-paced verse section, a sweet yet somber chorus, and an aggressive intro that is only matched by the blistering pace of the guitar solo later on. Furthermore, on the opener, "The True War," I really was not expecting such a thick bass and guitar tone, as well as the appearance of male vocals, (all three done by bassist Thiago Zig on this one) after only knowing "Jester," but I certainly was more than pleased to find them.

I must admit, I was so taken by the excitement of the more assertive tracks as soon as I pressed play with Catharsis, it took me quite some time to slow down and enjoy the ballads. But in "The Phoenix Cry," the band gives us a whole other side. Here's where you'll find more expansive traditional melodic guitar solos, a feeling of sadness and yearning mixed in with Aline's confidence, and again some well-timed programmed samples in the background. Oh, and did I mention there's yet another satisfying solo here? Deeper into the album, "What Do You Want From Me?" offers the appearance of a flute into the mix alongside of acoustic guitars that expand into a smoothly arranged melodic metal track. Album closer, "Craven," returns us to the symphonic ballad style found earlier in "Reflection," but personally I prefer this one, likely because of the acoustic guitars and atmospherics. The lyrics are quite simple, but the bluesy solo that follows Aline's softly melancholic delivery is a classy way to end an album that I haven't tired of after countless listens.

Lyria is the kind of band that seems harder and harder to find after all these years of loving melodic metal. An album accomplished with help and love from the fans that not only delivers but offers even more than expected. Catharsis mixes symphonic and alternative metal with dozens of memorable melodies, and wraps it into a delicate yet hard-hitting package of innocence, confidence, and hope for not only the present, but a promising future of determined personal successes and excitement.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written on 12.11.2014 by Music and the written word are two of my passions in life, so I figured, why not combine the two?

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 253 users
12.11.2014 - 06:22
Susan
Smeghead
Great review! I immediately found their facebook page, which is streaming the album.

Lyria is the kind of band that seems harder and harder to find after all these years of loving melodic metal

This seems very true so far! They really aren't copying anyone and I couldn't even pinpoint who the influences might be. I'm excited to let the album develop for me; so far I'm only a few songs in. I immediately was intrigued by the "bareness" of The True War. The next songs so each so far shown different sides to the band, too.

vocals by founder Aline Happ

Another selling point I love when the vocalists are the composers and band leaders!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
12.11.2014 - 08:25
PocketMetal

Seems like something for me, I will check it out. I wish they used a better cover art, that's not very good.
12.11.2014 - 08:56
Lit.
Account deleted
I just wanna say I love how perfectly placed the album cover is on the side review section.
12.11.2014 - 12:56
JD
Account deleted
I see boobs.
13.11.2014 - 10:11
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
The instrumentation is pretty good, the vox are god awful though kinda ruined it for me.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
13.11.2014 - 20:01
Rulatore

Written by Guest on 12.11.2014 at 08:56

I just wanna say I love how perfectly placed the album cover is on the side review section.

Good, I'm not the only one that noticed it
14.11.2014 - 10:37
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha

Lit, you were my hero.

Disgraceful. You've become naughty.
16.11.2014 - 15:32
PocketMetal

Written by AngelofDeth on 13.11.2014 at 10:11

The instrumentation is pretty good, the vox are god awful though kinda ruined it for me.

Yeah the vocals are indeed horrible, to be honest the instrumentation isn't that good either. :p I don't think this band is going anywhere...
16.11.2014 - 20:07
Darth Revan

Written by Rulatore on 13.11.2014 at 20:01

Good, I'm not the only one that noticed it

Half the reason I clicked the link is because I was wondering if all of their albums feature boobs on the cover

Hits total: 5485 | This month: 6