Metal Storm logo
Funeral (Nor)

Poll

You know the drill (gonna shorten the options)

Dislike
Like (were new to me before)
Dislike (were new to me before)

Total votes: 14
11.02.2007 - 17:00
Vunts
To start off, i want to clarify the poll a little, just because i can! If you hadn't heard of the band before, then don't vote before hearing them and then vote in the (were new to me before) - it should have "this thread" in the end as well, but i couldn't manage to fit it on dislike. Anyways, this should be understandable now i think.

I am probably not the best person to make the thread, as i have only heard their latest CD, so i can't really comment on their progression. I can however honestly admit, that i didn't like them before. I was mislead a little by hearing them to be funeral doom, so when i heard the first song on "From These Wounds" (2007) - This Barren Skin. I hated it, because it wasn't funeral doom. I felt being screwed over so i didn't listen to the album again for over a month (btw, i don't even know if it's supposed to be out yet...i'm a pirate, yarr, when i like a CD, i buy it though). Just yesterday, i was scrolling through my music library with my headphones on and i stumbled upon Funeral's folder. I played it just to remember what it sounded like and This Barren Skin completely struck me down. The melody...it was so soothing. One of the best i have ever heard. Every time i hear the riff, i feel my soul moving inside...or maybe it's something else. Near my chest anyways (i'm a very healthy person, so it can't be a disease). The vocals...oh, the vocals. Not many stand up to them in this category. Plus the beginning featured female vocals in a traditional gothic sense (just gothic, not metal, not rock. Just gothic). It was for a brief time, but enough to capture my attention. All in all, this song is now my favourite in the gothic doom category, which is what i concsider the release to be and that is why i thought i'd make a thread of this band, if the search function doesn't bring one up.
Ah...but i did listen to the rest of the CD also. Why talk only about one song? Well, i have a good excuse for that: i liked it the most. A few others were more aggressive. Dwelling more in the death doom style. I noticed some growls on the song 'Red Moon'. I prefer the clean vocal more, 'Vagrant God' seemed to have a few Katatonia influences. At least enough for me to notice. However, i don't know exactly how deep the rabbit hole gets, so the influences are probably mixed as hell. Overall, the heaviest parts are present in the song 'From These Wounds'.

I don't enjoy their home page, however. It feels unfinished. And that's not only because the mp3 section isn't accessible. I don't want to promote piracy, but if anyone wants to get at least one song to familiarize themselves with the band, let me know. (that is of course if the people are having problems finding a song themselves)

I would appreciate if this thread was found by a person who is familiar with Funeral's older work as well, so the information could be contributed for more detail. For now, discuss away and have fun in doing so!
11.02.2007 - 20:34
Bulldozer
Account deleted
You should definitely check out their older material. "Tristesse" and "Tragedies" are kickass Doom Metal releases! They re-released these albums a year ago(under Firebox).
Funeral is one of the few Gothic-influenced bands that I like, usually I'm not too crazy about gothic music.
11.02.2007 - 21:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I vote like

One more tread/poll in your style

i like this abnd but early albums its uch good and amazing specely in
''Tristesse'' and ''Tragedies''
Rear an dunigeu band where I hear original elements in music and sound of course I like ''In Fields Of Pestilent Grief'' but its more gothic sohnd of them and never had hear ''From These Wounds''
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.02.2007 - 00:00
Richard
Elite
I have Tragedies, Tristesse (which IIRC was just their demo released on CD and not too great), and In Fields Of Pestilent Grief. Tragedies is a truly great album - and with its snail-paced tempo and beautifully bleak atmosphere, I would say it probably qualifies as 'Funeral Doom'. Although at the time it was released, when I listened to this album more, Funeral Doom wasn't a term that people really used much, at least that I noticed - I just thought of it as Doom/Death or something. Anyway, this album has some deep gutteral growls and an equal amount of mournful female soprano, and manages to sound simultaneously dark and soothing, melancholy and crushing.

As K7 said, In Fields Of Pestilent Grief had more of the Gothic Metal sound. It never really caught my attention - IIRC it was all female vox and the pace was more midtempo and the music not as forlorn.
----
14.02.2007 - 00:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Richard on 14.02.2007 at 00:00

As K7 said, In Fields Of Pestilent Grief had more of the Gothic Metal sound. It never really caught my attention - IIRC it was all female vox and the pace was more midtempo and the music not as forlorn.

Good post

I agree about it, but I dont wanna deny such dark, emeotional, atmosferic,doom, black gothic metal (I mean basicly)
But about Funeral first 2 albusm was it takes pll in some journey somewhere because songs are long and simple, lyrics are simple but good to, but ''In Fields Of Pestilent Grief'' title ist doom , but music its like german dark gothic bands not only German but that area and music are I dunno how say, but album are one of best 'gothic' album who comes from Scandinavia after 2000
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.07.2009 - 03:55
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I've heard some people saying that the genre Funeral Doom got it's name from this band... Why?
This isn't Funeral Doom at all, when I think about the classics of Funeral Doom I think something in the vein of Skepticism and such... But not this o.o
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.07.2009 - 04:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I truly dislike this band. Only their album Tragedies comes close to being decent. IMO the rest is just dire gothicy doomish metal.

@Mr. Doctor, yes, rumour has it that the genre got its name from this band. But this band has nothing to do with Funeral doom whatsoever.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.03.2012 - 15:40
JD
Account deleted
What kind of polls is this?
19.03.2012 - 13:27
Nefarious
Doom Knight
Staff
Written by Guest on 18.03.2012 at 15:40

What kind of polls is this?

A very old & long forgotten one
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid
19.03.2012 - 20:14
Slayer666
The band that got me into Doom, and I still listen to them fairly frequently. Pretty awesome stuff when you want some lighter and more relaxing Doom.
20.03.2012 - 05:46
Branzig
Written by Slayer666 on 19.03.2012 at 20:14

The band that got me into Doom, and I still listen to them fairly frequently. Pretty awesome stuff when you want some lighter and more relaxing Doom.

Paradise Lost got me into Doom, and I am glad they did, because if this band was my first taste of Doom, I would of ran away and hid!

I dislike.
----
In Grind We Crust
20.03.2012 - 05:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Branzig on 20.03.2012 at 05:46

Written by Slayer666 on 19.03.2012 at 20:14

Paradise Lost got me into Doom, and I am glad they did, because if this band was my first taste of Doom, I would of ran away and hid!

I dislike.

I can only totaly concur with you.

Horrendous band with horrendous music imo. Saw them live a couple of time and they were BAD.
Also their first couple of releases aren't too good even though the band somehow gave its name to the funeral subgenre.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.03.2012 - 05:57
Branzig
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.03.2012 at 05:52

I can only totaly concur with you.

Horrendous band with horrendous music imo. Saw them live a couple of time and they were BAD.
Also their first couple of releases aren't too good even though the band somehow gave its name to the funeral subgenre.

I will give them that their earlier work is a lot more tolerable than their newer material...but it's all bad...bad bad bad.

I sir agree with you 100% as well.
----
In Grind We Crust
20.03.2012 - 14:32
JD
Account deleted
Only heard As The Light Does The Shadow, and I think they did a good job with that album.
15.06.2012 - 05:37
vgmaster9
Not to be rude, but since funeral doom falls into the extreme doom category, this should be in the extreme metal thread. Just saying.
15.06.2012 - 05:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by vgmaster9 on 15.06.2012 at 05:37
Not to be rude, but since funeral doom falls into the extreme doom category, this should be in the extreme metal thread. Just saying.

They haven't been funeral doom since forever.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.06.2012 - 18:09
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.06.2012 at 05:45

Written by vgmaster9 on 15.06.2012 at 05:37

They haven't been funeral doom since forever.

Someone should fix their profile's genre then.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
18.06.2012 - 01:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.06.2012 at 18:09
Someone should fix their profile's genre then.

Doom since 2002 seems accurate to me, even if their earlier style was more funeral-lite than anything.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.06.2012 - 02:40
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.07.2009 at 04:00

gothicy doomish metal.

Man you just hate this genre, don't you
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
18.06.2012 - 17:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Boxcar Willy on 18.06.2012 at 02:40

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.07.2009 at 04:00

gothicy doomish metal.

Man you just hate this genre, don't you

tbh I prefer Woods Of Ypres' last two to anything DFuneral has done
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.06.2012 - 01:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.06.2012 at 17:43

I was honestly not expecting that. Even the most recent WoY release?
----
19.06.2012 - 19:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.06.2012 at 01:12

yes because V is marginally better than IV and I really hate ALL of Funeral's releases
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.07.2012 - 23:48
IronAngel
Hanne Hukkelberg used to sing in the band. She's an amazing musician so I would love to like the band, but they haven't impressed me. Of course, if they were better she might still be with them and not be releasing her own jazzy art pop records, so I guess it's a good thing they suck?
02.07.2012 - 05:32
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.06.2012 at 19:18

Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.06.2012 at 01:12

yes because V is marginally better than IV and I really hate ALL of Funeral's releases

Just a question, but what do you think of WoY's first EP?

Sorry to go off-topic.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS