Metal Storm logo
Sleep

Original post

Posted by John Barleycorn, 21.05.2006 - 10:25
I think this band deserves to be featured in Metalstorm. It´s stoner taken to extreme - I am talking about "Jerusalem" and "Dopesmoker", although "Holy Mountain"is brilliant, too. We have in "Jerusalem" and "Dopesmoker" same basic riffs repeating through whole hour and it never gets boring; the vocals are the greatest, sounding like tribal chanting; and lyrics are maybe the weirdest I have heard:

DROP OUT OF LIFE WITH BONG IN HAND
FOLLOW THE SMOKE TOWARD THE RIFF FILLED LAND
PROCEEDS THE WEEDIAN, NAZARETH
PROCEEDS THE WEEDIAN, NAZARETH
CREEDSMEN ROLL OUT ACROSS THE DYING DAWN
SACRED ISRAEL HOLY MOUNTAIN ZION
SUN BEAMS DOWN ONTO THE SANDCEAN REIGNS
CARAVAN MIGRATES THROUGH DEEP SANDSCAPE
LUNGSMEN UNEARTH THE CREED OF HASHEESHIAN
LEBANON
DESERT LEGION SMOKE COVENANT IS COMPLETE
HERB BAILS RETIED ONTO BACKS OF BEASTS
STONER CARAVAN EMERGE FROM SANDSEA
EARTHLING INSERTS TO CHALICE THE GREEN CUTCHIE
GROUNDATION SOUL FINDS TRUST UPON SMOKING HOSE
ASSEMBLE CREEDSMEN RISES PRAYERFILLED SMOKE
GOLGOTHA
JUDGEMENT SOON COME TO MANKIND
GREEN HERBSMEN SERVE RIGHTFUL KING
HEMP SEED CARAVAN CARRIES
RIDES OUT BELIEVER WITH THE SPLIFF AFLAME
MARIJUANAUT ESCAPES EARTH TO CULTIVATE
GROW ROOM IS CHURCH TEMPLE OF THE NEW STONER BREED
CHANTS LOUD ROBED PRIEST DOWN ONTO THE FREEDOMSEED
BURNT OFFERING REDEEMS COMPLETES SMOKED DELIVERANCE
CARAVANS STONED DELIVERANTS
THE CARAVAN HOLDS TO EASTERN CREED
NOW SMOKES BELIEVER
THE CHRONICLE OF SINSEMILLIAN
FOLLOW THE SMOKE JERUSALEM.

I love christian pot-heads
Oh, and I forgot to mention orgasmic solos
19.06.2008 - 22:59
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Clintagräm on 19.06.2008 at 22:49

Written by Doc G. on 19.06.2008 at 22:37

Written by BitterCOld on 19.06.2008 at 21:23

it's basically the same recording. one is the album they envisioned, a 65+ minute piece. the other is it just chopped up into songs. i'd dl'd the chopped version first, bought the complete version since. as long and cumbersome as it gets at times (enjoyable, but 65 minute pieces of consistent music can wear on you, particularly if you are a little ADD like i can be at times) i still prefer it to the "Jerusalem" version, which just feels a bit awkward thanks to the. odd. sto.pping. poin. ts.

Really? Because I looked on the back and its only got 1 song listed, thats 52 minutes in length, did they just break that up into tracks? I would love to own Dopesmoker, but all I can find is Holy Mountain (which I bought), and Jerusalem.

Well, it's listed on my version as only one song, but if you put it into your stereo you'll notice that it is broken into six parts I believe.

Ah, thats what I figured.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
19.06.2008 - 23:59
BitterCOld
The Ancient One

it's basically the same recording. one is the album they envisioned, a 65+ minute piece. the other is it just chopped up into songs. i'd dl'd the chopped version first, bought the complete version since. as long and cumbersome as it gets at times (enjoyable, but 65 minute pieces of consistent music can wear on you, particularly if you are a little ADD like i can be at times) i still prefer it to the "Jerusalem" version, which just feels a bit awkward thanks to the. odd. sto.pping. poin. ts.

Really? Because I looked on the back and its only got 1 song listed, thats 52 minutes in length, did they just break that up into tracks? I would love to own Dopesmoker, but all I can find is Holy Mountain (which I bought), and Jerusalem.

http://www.theomegaorder.com/s.nl?sc=16&category=&search=sleep%20dopesmoker

There you go. That's where i got my copy. I've never had an issue with The End/Omega.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
20.06.2008 - 00:09
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by BitterCOld on 19.06.2008 at 23:59

http://www.theomegaorder.com/s.nl?sc=16&category=&search=sleep%20dopesmoker

There you go. That's where i got my copy. I've never had an issue with The End/Omega.

Ahhh, the beauties of owning a credit card/being not too lazy to go out and get paypal. I'll just get around to ordering it directly through the CD store.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
28.06.2008 - 01:02
Candlemass
Defaeco
What a band...
a stoner classic next to Kyuss.
Holy mountain is m favorite.
Last album rock too.
27.02.2009 - 18:15
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Guest on 01.06.2007 at 05:35

One time I was getting high and the bassline on track 4 of Jerusalem almost gave me a heart attack.If Sleep and High On Fire merged together the earth would implode.

I know you're never going to read this. But that's hillarious.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
27.02.2009 - 18:30
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Jerusalum 4 is a pretty damned good song though.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

30.04.2009 - 13:16
TheBigRossowski

I heard this band on Last.fm one day at work. I think it was one of the Doom Radios....eith Warning or Saint Vitus. Then I HAD to download Holy Mountain and hear more! That shit is pretty groovy, man.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
30.04.2009 - 20:20
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by TheBigRossowski on 30.04.2009 at 13:16

I heard this band on Last.fm one day at work. I think it was one of the Doom Radios....eith Warning or Saint Vitus. Then I HAD to download Holy Mountain and hear more! That shit is pretty groovy, man.

both High on Fire and Om spawned from the remains of Sleep after they broke up. both are worth checking out as well.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.05.2009 - 19:27
TheBigRossowski

Written by BitterCOld on 30.04.2009 at 20:20

both High on Fire and Om spawned from the remains of Sleep after they broke up. both are worth checking out as well.

Read that already
----
01.05.2009 - 19:32
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by TheBigRossowski on 01.05.2009 at 19:27

Read that already

just reiterating as i was not sure if you had gotten that new information, man. Certain things had come to light. And, you know, has it ever occurred to you, that, instead of, uh, you know, running around, uh, uh, quoting me, you know, given the nature of all this new shit, you know, I-I-I-I... this could be a-a-a-a lot more, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, music to check out... uh, you know?
----

01.05.2009 - 19:39
TheBigRossowski

Written by BitterCOld on 01.05.2009 at 19:32

Written by TheBigRossowski on 01.05.2009 at 19:27

Read that already

just reiterating as i was not sure if you had gotten that new information, man. Certain things had come to light. And, you know, has it ever occurred to you, that, instead of, uh, you know, running around, uh, uh, quoting me, you know, given the nature of all this new shit, you know, I-I-I-I... this could be a-a-a-a lot more, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, music to check out... uh, you know?

And with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of damnation! (No worries, I'm reading from my Funeral Mist poster, lol). You're my hero dude! I watched that movie about 2 hours ago... fucking classic...like God, always WAS always WILL BE. I haven't listened to Om though...High on Fire...of course...but yeah, I need a White Russian.
----
01.05.2009 - 19:48
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by TheBigRossowski on 01.05.2009 at 19:39

And with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of damnation! (No worries, I'm reading from my Funeral Mist poster, lol). You're my hero dude! I watched that movie about 2 hours ago... fucking classic...like God, always WAS always WILL BE. I haven't listened to Om though...High on Fire...of course...but yeah, I need a White Russian.

that movie does rule. been a fan of it for years now. i'm more "Walter Sobchak" than "The Dude."

Om, at least the album i have (Pilgrimmage) is really mellow. bass, drums, and kinda mellow spoken vocals. the kind of shit the Dude might enjoy while taking a candlelit bath and burning one. just watch out for those pesky nihilists.

Roadburn rules, provides streaming online clips from past shows.

Om is here.
----

29.05.2009 - 01:57
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Was Asbestos Death any good? I found a compilation of their EP's at a CD store, but I have no way of listening to music online anymore. Is it like a crustier version of Sleep?
18.08.2009 - 12:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Arian Totalis on 27.02.2009 at 18:30

Jerusalum 4 is a pretty damned good song though.

Jerusalem 4
Like has been said before Jerusalem is either a 52 minute song called Jerusalem or a 64 minute song called Dopesmoker (which is of course a lengthened version of Jerusalem)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.08.2009 - 20:01
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Yeah, I don't know why a 4 was in that sentence. It is a good, trippy song though.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

18.08.2009 - 20:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Arian Totalis on 18.08.2009 at 20:01

Yeah, I don't know why a 4 was in that sentence. It is a good, trippy song though.

I think I figured out why... apparently some sort record lable re-released Jerusalem cut into six parts, hence one poster here having a download in six parts as well I think.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.08.2009 - 20:27
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
That would be the case. i "acquired" the six part version before the "Dopesmoker" version was re-issued. i like it in one, long-ass piece. the track cuts on the six parter seem to have been nearly completely arbitrary.
----

19.08.2009 - 17:20
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.08.2009 at 20:11

Written by Arian Totalis on 18.08.2009 at 20:01

I think I figured out why... apparently some sort record lable re-released Jerusalem cut into six parts, hence one poster here having a download in six parts as well I think.

Oh yeah, I think I actually looked that up a long time ago. Just forgot till now.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

20.08.2009 - 15:08
TheBigRossowski

Again, Sleep is so damn great! I'm still waiting for Holy Mountain to get here... that and all the other shit I ordered!

I went ahead and downloaded it though!
----
20.08.2009 - 15:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by TheBigRossowski on 20.08.2009 at 15:08

Again, Sleep is so damn great! I'm still waiting for Holy Mountain to get here... that and all the other shit I ordered!

What else did you order?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.08.2009 - 18:06
TheBigRossowski

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.08.2009 at 15:11

Written by TheBigRossowski on 20.08.2009 at 15:08

What else did you order?

KATHARSIS - Fourth reich (LP)
SHINING - Klagopsalmer (2-LP)
ELECTRIC WIZARD - Dopethrone (DIGI-CD)
ELECTRIC WIZARD - We live (DIGI-CD)
ELECTRIC WIZARD - Witchcult today (CD)
WARNING - The strength to dream (CD)
FEN - The malediction fields (DIGI-CD)
SLEEP - Sleeps holy mountain (CD)
DOLORIAN - Voidwards (DIGI-CD)
PENTAGRAM - Sub-basement (DIGI-CD)
PENTAGRAM - Day of reckoning (DIGI-CD)
PENTAGRAM - Relentless (DIGI-CD)

Of course... most of that stuff, I've downloaded already and really enjoyed.
----
07.09.2009 - 23:21
snakes&ladders
Account deleted
Sleep are one of those bands that I dig very much because it's not stoner in the strict sense of the word and not pure metal, but the real combo of fine psychedelia and HM. Great sound from an amazing band