Metal Storm logo
Sleep

21.05.2006 - 10:25
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
I think this band deserves to be featured in Metalstorm. It´s stoner taken to extreme - I am talking about "Jerusalem" and "Dopesmoker", although "Holy Mountain"is brilliant, too. We have in "Jerusalem" and "Dopesmoker" same basic riffs repeating through whole hour and it never gets boring; the vocals are the greatest, sounding like tribal chanting; and lyrics are maybe the weirdest I have heard:

DROP OUT OF LIFE WITH BONG IN HAND
FOLLOW THE SMOKE TOWARD THE RIFF FILLED LAND
PROCEEDS THE WEEDIAN, NAZARETH
PROCEEDS THE WEEDIAN, NAZARETH
CREEDSMEN ROLL OUT ACROSS THE DYING DAWN
SACRED ISRAEL HOLY MOUNTAIN ZION
SUN BEAMS DOWN ONTO THE SANDCEAN REIGNS
CARAVAN MIGRATES THROUGH DEEP SANDSCAPE
LUNGSMEN UNEARTH THE CREED OF HASHEESHIAN
LEBANON
DESERT LEGION SMOKE COVENANT IS COMPLETE
HERB BAILS RETIED ONTO BACKS OF BEASTS
STONER CARAVAN EMERGE FROM SANDSEA
EARTHLING INSERTS TO CHALICE THE GREEN CUTCHIE
GROUNDATION SOUL FINDS TRUST UPON SMOKING HOSE
ASSEMBLE CREEDSMEN RISES PRAYERFILLED SMOKE
GOLGOTHA
JUDGEMENT SOON COME TO MANKIND
GREEN HERBSMEN SERVE RIGHTFUL KING
HEMP SEED CARAVAN CARRIES
RIDES OUT BELIEVER WITH THE SPLIFF AFLAME
MARIJUANAUT ESCAPES EARTH TO CULTIVATE
GROW ROOM IS CHURCH TEMPLE OF THE NEW STONER BREED
CHANTS LOUD ROBED PRIEST DOWN ONTO THE FREEDOMSEED
BURNT OFFERING REDEEMS COMPLETES SMOKED DELIVERANCE
CARAVANS STONED DELIVERANTS
THE CARAVAN HOLDS TO EASTERN CREED
NOW SMOKES BELIEVER
THE CHRONICLE OF SINSEMILLIAN
FOLLOW THE SMOKE JERUSALEM.

I love christian pot-heads
Oh, and I forgot to mention orgasmic solos
21.05.2006 - 11:17
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
"jerusalem" is on my hunting list... "holy mountain" is pot-induced Sabbath worship at it's finest.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.05.2006 - 13:09
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
I LOVE Sleep's Holy Mountain. It's a fantastic album. The opening riff on Dragonaut is damn awesome
Like Bitter COld, I'm yet to hear Jerusalem yet. I have only the one album. All in all, this is some awesome stoner
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
21.05.2006 - 13:21
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
http://www.freewebs.com/holymountain/

This is the fan-page of Sleep. You can watch their video of "Dragonauta" there - it is very simplistic, I like it.
21.05.2006 - 23:24
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Ah yes, Sleep. What is to say except they are classic. One of the fathers of the Stoner "movement", if you can call it that. They did what they did the best. Cool site by the way uku.
----
The force will be with you, always.
22.05.2006 - 00:08
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
Yes, I also like it

Today I finally managed to hear "Variations on a Theme" and "Conference of Birds" by Om which I recommend to any fan of Sleep. Someone called Om stoner for hippies and I even partially agree (I like hippies btw.)
Actually Om deserves a thread here, too. I see to it right away
03.08.2006 - 08:24
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
As I sit here and listen to "Holy Mountain" I notice that I have never heard much about either 'Volume 1' or 'Volume 2.' Has anyone heard these releases?
----
01.09.2006 - 12:31
SkinChamber
Account deleted
Fantastic band, amazing molten riffs and bass lines you can feel in your gut. Holy Mountain is my fav, and has been a staple since longer than I care to remember!
06.09.2006 - 05:32
CianideDeath
Account deleted
Anyone digging Om????
07.09.2006 - 02:39
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I am not as big a fan of Om as I am of Sleep. Of course, what I have sat and listened to is certainly great. However, Sleep, along with Kyuss, are simply the masters of "Stoner" or "Desert" for me. By the way, I finally got ahold of 'Jerusalem' a few weeks back and I love it even more now that I own it.
----
08.09.2006 - 01:10
CianideDeath
Account deleted
Om is good, althouhg nothing matches the heights of which Sleep can take you. I certainly like Om better than High On Fire. My fav Sleep album would be Sleep's Holy Mountain as it total sabbath worship in Sleep's own distinct way.
02.10.2006 - 06:07
Solaris
Account deleted
I love Holy Mountain, and Dopesmoker's pretty good too. What's the story with that, is it a re-recorded version of Jerusalem, or vice versa, or is it just a re-release? The version I have has Sonic Titan (live) stuck on the end of it. Good stuff anyway.
02.10.2006 - 06:29
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Guest on 02.10.2006 at 06:07

I love Holy Mountain, and Dopesmoker's pretty good too. What's the story with that, is it a re-recorded version of Jerusalem, or vice versa, or is it just a re-release. The version I have has Sonice Titan (live) stuck on the end of it. Good stuff anyway.

I read that 'Dopesmoker' is the full version of the song 'Jerusalem' as Sleep's label didn't think one huge song would sell too well and they had them trim it up a bit.
----
06.01.2007 - 09:07
Solaris
Account deleted
Ah yeah, did some reading up on it. There were a few different versions released, the one I have is the edit the band are the "least unhappy" with (the version they wanted to put out was never finished). A couple of bootleg versions, and the "official" Jerusalem edit are out there too.

Speaking of Sleep, I just picked up on Om, I like that they're in a similar vein to the more stoner Sleep (as opposed to the Sabbathy stuff), excellent.
24.05.2007 - 07:09
Mockingbird622
Account deleted
BEST STONER METAL BAND!!!! HAIL POWER TRIOS!!! HAIL WEED!!!
01.06.2007 - 05:35
V For Vitus
Account deleted
One time I was getting high and the bassline on track 4 of Jerusalem almost gave me a heart attack.If Sleep and High On Fire merged together the earth would implode.
28.06.2007 - 04:29
Mockingbird622
Account deleted
Holy mountion is amazing... i say fuck jeruselm and buy dopesmoker instead dopesmoker is the same thing but its all one song it sounds alot more... right like jeruselem the tracks dont mesh well but dopesmoker it just man bong hits and dopesmoker it dosent get much better than that...
28.06.2007 - 07:13
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
^^I agree. You might as well get Dopesmoker instead of Jerusalem. Dopesmoker is FUCKING HEAVY! An awesome release. If described in one word - HEAVY!
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
29.06.2007 - 23:13
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Despite the fact that I think stoner metal is probably the most worthless form of metal next to Nu Metal or Metalcore, for some odd reason I sort of enjoy these guys. Jerusalem was surprisingly not bad, but nowhere near as good as progressive rock epics.
30.06.2007 - 01:15
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Well, if what u are into is prog metal epics its no wonder you cant appreciate the genius that is sleep...
A word of advice - light a doobie an just sink into Jerusalem... - I guarrentee you'll be a changed man
01.07.2007 - 13:37
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Written by jupitreas on 30.06.2007 at 01:15

Well, if what u are into is prog metal epics its no wonder you cant appreciate the genius that is sleep...
A word of advice - light a doobie an just sink into Jerusalem... - I guarrentee you'll be a changed man

Amen.
----
08.07.2007 - 03:09
Mockingbird622
Account deleted
i hope all you fuckers who enjoy sleep smoke alota fuckin bud otherwise youll never fuckin get it
21.07.2007 - 06:17
Sonic Titan
Account deleted
all i know is this band is fuckin rad as hell when youre doing bong hits...dopesmoker, holy mountain... its all good man!
21.08.2007 - 20:36
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Anyone heard the new High On Fire record yet? Absolutely brilliant stuff.
16.09.2007 - 00:10
Kharn
Account deleted
Jerusalem is awesome, as mention earlier...light up and get comfy...it's a hell of a ride!
25.09.2007 - 19:43
Sleep In Sorrow
Ghost Of The Sun
I like Holy Mountain a lot. If I'm not mistaken there's a video of Dragonaut somewhere around on youtube. Has anyone seen it? damn, the bassist's fingers are all over the place!

As for Jerusalem, it's an interesting song, but I can't keep myself that concentrated for one whole hour, so usually when I listen to it, I do so while doing other things.
----
"It's not funny, my ass is on fire..."
19.06.2008 - 20:22
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
I have a question, is Dopesmoker just and extended version of Jerusalem?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
19.06.2008 - 21:23
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
it's basically the same recording. one is the album they envisioned, a 65+ minute piece. the other is it just chopped up into songs. i'd dl'd the chopped version first, bought the complete version since. as long and cumbersome as it gets at times (enjoyable, but 65 minute pieces of consistent music can wear on you, particularly if you are a little ADD like i can be at times) i still prefer it to the "Jerusalem" version, which just feels a bit awkward thanks to the. odd. sto.pping. poin. ts.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
19.06.2008 - 22:37
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by BitterCOld on 19.06.2008 at 21:23

it's basically the same recording. one is the album they envisioned, a 65+ minute piece. the other is it just chopped up into songs. i'd dl'd the chopped version first, bought the complete version since. as long and cumbersome as it gets at times (enjoyable, but 65 minute pieces of consistent music can wear on you, particularly if you are a little ADD like i can be at times) i still prefer it to the "Jerusalem" version, which just feels a bit awkward thanks to the. odd. sto.pping. poin. ts.

Really? Because I looked on the back and its only got 1 song listed, thats 52 minutes in length, did they just break that up into tracks? I would love to own Dopesmoker, but all I can find is Holy Mountain (which I bought), and Jerusalem.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
19.06.2008 - 22:49
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Doc G. on 19.06.2008 at 22:37

Written by BitterCOld on 19.06.2008 at 21:23

Really? Because I looked on the back and its only got 1 song listed, thats 52 minutes in length, did they just break that up into tracks? I would love to own Dopesmoker, but all I can find is Holy Mountain (which I bought), and Jerusalem.

Well, it's listed on my version as only one song, but if you put it into your stereo you'll notice that it is broken into six parts I believe.
----