Metal Storm logo
Delain - Bassist Injured During Show, Update

Unfortunately, Delain's bassist Otto "The Baron" Schimmelpenninck injured himself during the band's recent show in Birmingham. He was in the hospital and wasn't able to perform with the band on the last two shows of their UK tour. After many well-wishes from the fans, Otto has now updated on his injury and explained what happened. It turns out he had a very painful experience after being hit by a streamer during the show.

Photo by Black Velvet Magazine

Here is Otto, in his own words: "After what can be described as one of the most unpleasant adventures I've ever had to endure, we're back home again from the UK. As a lot of people are asking about my injuries and lots of friends know what happened already, I figured it would be best to share with you all. before all kinds of versions of this story start to circulate. Spoiler alert: you might want to read this another time if you were planning on having sex within the hour or so.

"As some of you know, we use 'streamer canons', which shoot silver streamers into the audience, usually during The Gathering. We've been using this for ages without any problems at all, but in Birmingham things went wrong.

"Since we were with 6 on stage instead of 5, there wasn't really a standard position on stage. Normally, Charlotte would be stage center, Timo at the singing mic, I at the other side. Having Merel on stage with us meant everyone just had to pay attention at the moment the streamers would shoot. In my enthusiasm I did not pay attention, and happened to be VERY close when the streamer fired. It hit me from the back, in my genitals. Although pain was pretty bad right away, I was merely pissed off at myself for not paying attention. During the next song, pain got worse though, and I had the feeling I was bleeding. Pretty soon pain got to the point where I could barely stay conscious anymore, but for some reason I did manage to finish the show and even squeeze out some grunts!

"After the show the damage was more obvious: my scrotum was the size of a big grapefruit and I was in a lot (yeah, really a lot) of pain. I was taken to the nearest hospital where after hours and hours of waiting, I was finally operated around 8:30 in the morning. It appeared here my left testicle had been ruptured as well as some arteries. More than 500 ml of blood was removed from my scrotum and my testicle stitched up. I stayed in hospital for the rest of day and night, and was discharged on Friday afternoon. From there I took the plane to Glasgow where I was reunited with my girlfriend and the Delain family. Fortunately we had had a very comfortable nightliner and top-notch driver, so I could travel quite comfortably and get some rest until we got home.

"I was very close to losing my left testicle, but chances are good it will be fine. It will take about 6 weeks until I can find out though, when I have an ultrasound scan. It will also be a while before I am without the very uncomfortable pain I am in now, but sadly, it's just the way it is for now. I should be ok well in time for the European tour with Sabaton though. Again, thank so much for all your get well wishes, support and kind messages, it means a lot to me!"

[Thanks to Ozman for the tip!]

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Delain
Posted: 01.12.2014 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 11   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 115 users
01.12.2014 - 14:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I hope he is OK now , and ''you might want to read this another time if you were planning on having sex within the hour or so.'' that part I thought something happened in the sex time, I thought wtf groupie days are over but read a whole, its weird because nowadays seems those shows are safe. I dunno many bands who do stage performance , specially as Kiss whit huge pyro
Personally I hate al blood, guts, pyro, and most I hate Ozzy's water bucket , it pises me of most , I hate water and walk wet , I even hate rain.
if I would be in a band I never would use any pyro etc, now show at all, music is important
I hope he will be ok asap ---
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.12.2014 - 18:35
ScottyM

Yeah, I've taken a shot to the Jimmies before, but this just sounds downright catastrophic. nearly passing out cold from taking a blow to the nuts is unlike anything I can fathom, and 500 milliliters of blood is a metric holy-shit lot of blood to remove from the balls. I genuinely feel for the dude, that sounds terrifyingly painful.

I wouldn't judge the poor bastard if he started wearing a cup to shows after that, or has to seek out counseling for PTSD. That sounds terrifying!
01.12.2014 - 18:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by ScottyM on 01.12.2014 at 18:35

I wouldn't judge the poor bastard if he started wearing a cup to shows after that...

It wouldn't surprise me if he still has a cup somewhere lying around in his house
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.12.2014 - 19:10
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
That was probably the most pain-inducing description of an injury I've ever read. The fact that the guy finished the fucking show is crazy.
01.12.2014 - 19:20
fandango68

^^ quite right Alex. Sue & I were at the Birmingham gig and although we were standing to the side so Otto was partly out of sight for us (it was sold out and absolutely rammed)... you'd never have known the guy was in such pain... a true professional who deserves a lot of praise for the incredible way he handled the situation.
----
First gig was Manowar (loincloths 'n' all), Bristol Colston Hall in March 1983, on the 'Hail to England' tour. Tickets were £3.75, 300 in the audience, Mercyful Fate never showed, but my hearing still got seriously trashed..
01.12.2014 - 19:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Alex F on 01.12.2014 at 19:10

That was probably the most pain-inducing description of an injury I've ever read. The fact that the guy finished the fucking show is crazy.

Otto is one tough cookie and Always has been one. I have known him for 17 or 18 years by now. And got to know him through playing cricket. In 1997 het played fopr the same team I did while he was still a 14/15 year old. He got hit by some pretty hard cricket balls in the ribs while batting and didn't flinch at all whereas as older guys 29+ year olds would squirm because of the pain. But then again at that age he was a Dutch cricket youth international whereas the rest of us, well, just recreational players. And never liked facing his bowling at training in the nets because the guy could bowl genuinely quick.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.12.2014 - 20:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

The fact that the guy finished the fucking show is crazy.

say it to cowboy who has been beaten up buy professionals bull in the rodeo .. this still do, same here its his job,
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.12.2014 - 20:41
Vombatus
Potorro
Reading the description made my balls hurt.
01.12.2014 - 21:10
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Vombatus on 01.12.2014 at 20:41

Reading the description made my balls hurt.

Reading the description made my ovaries hurt
----
The Fangirl.
02.12.2014 - 08:54
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Don't tell the Health & Safety people. They'll probably take the cannon away.
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.12.2014 at 19:31

But then again at that age he was a Dutch cricket youth international whereas the rest of us, well, just recreational players.

So when your international cricketers turn to music they're good, while the best we can produce is Brett Lee.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
03.12.2014 - 07:27
The Evergreen

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.12.2014 at 19:31

Otto is one tough cookie and Always has been one. I have known him for 17 or 18 years by now. And got to know him through playing cricket. In 1997 het played fopr the same team I did while he was still a 14/15 year old. He got hit by some pretty hard cricket balls in the ribs while batting and didn't flinch at all whereas as older guys 29+ year olds would squirm because of the pain. But then again at that age he was a Dutch cricket youth international whereas the rest of us, well, just recreational players. And never liked facing his bowling at training in the nets because the guy could bowl genuinely quick.

That's a neat anecdote!
Man, I'm in sympathy pain just reading about this. Poor guy!

Hits total: 2297 | This month: 3