Metal Storm logo
Best shrieker

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 12.02.2007 - 15:38
i'm asking here about the melodic metal scene, so don't shove shagrath or dani filth up my ass.
1.Rob halford-my choice. right now, his voice has degraded, but you have to face the fact: no-one gets higher than him. just listen to "dissident aggresor", "victim of changes"(79), "diamonds and rust"(79), or "painkiller"(i fucking honestly thought that the last bit was done by a different singer).
2.Tim "the ripper"-his live album with priest has simply one of the most horrifyingly long scream i have ever heard("victim of changes) also check out "diamonds and rust" and "a touch of evil" from the same cd. a for the iced earth period, the cheesy backing vocals mostly ruin the vocal performance, but a outstanding moment is the verse parts from "the reckoning".
3.King diamond-he can replicate multiple characters with his HUGE range, but his shrieks sound quite girly to me. nonetheless a great shrieker.
4.Eric adams- you might think he's not good enough to be here, but his enormously high pitched roars convinced me to add him to my list.
5.John greely- you might know him as the vocalist on iced earth's "night of the stormrider", as he has also an enormous range, almost as big as king diamond.
i vote rob halford.

Poll

Who is the best shrieker in metal?

Rob halford
King diamond
Tim "the ripper" owens
Eric Adams
John Greely

Total votes: 87
30.12.2012 - 14:40
Lit.
Account deleted
I'm going the route less-traveled and picking John Greely. I love his range on Night of the Stormrider. He can go from menacing to somber to AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! Shame he only lasted one album.
30.12.2012 - 16:09
Warman
Erotic Stains
Sure, King Diamond is awesome. But nothing beats some Rob Halford and Judas Priest during his/their best moments!
----
02.01.2013 - 18:19
Nemo Atkins

I went with Rob Halford. Without him, I doubt at least two of the other guys would have become the singers they did (the ones I have doubts about are Eric Adams and King Diamond), but, in addition, some of his screams are jaw dropping. Some of my favourites:

1. Victim Of Changes
2. Dissident Aggressor
3. Freewheel Burning
4. Ram It Down
5. Painkiller
6. All Guns Blazing
7. Judas Rising
8. Hellrider
02.01.2013 - 18:22
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
My votes for King Diamond. Though I'm not a huge fan, he definately can shriek.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.01.2013 - 22:26
Moonloop

I'd have to say Rob Halford. Even though I love the King.
03.01.2013 - 15:09
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Definitely Rob Halford without a doubt. Just listen to "Dreamer Deciever", or "Painkiller" for masterclasses in the shrieking vocal style! King Diamond is a close second though.
03.01.2013 - 23:57
Yesferal
Account deleted
I like the last 4 but i choose ROB because he teach to sing the other