Metal Storm logo
Fen - Carrion Skies review

Reviewer:

82 users:
Band: Fen
Album: Carrion Skies
Release date: November 2014

Disc I
01. Our Names Written In Embers Part 1 (Beacons Of War)
02. Our Names Written In Embers Part 2 (Beacons Of Sorrow)
03. The Dying Stars
04. Sentinels
05. Menhir - Supplicant
06. Gathering The Stones

Disc II
01. Coffin Soil [DLP and wood box bonus]
02. Trilithon [DLP and wood box bonus]
03. Twilight Descends [DLP and wood box bonus]

Carrion Skies burns with an immediacy which distinctively rekindles the black metal of their style, and lessens the aimlessness of the thorough exploration of post-rock elements that haplessly formed the basis for much of Dustwalker. The impression left here is one of a band getting to the point, and remarkably so.

The build-up of all six tracks is considerably direct, the inspired propulsion of melodically dynamic guitar lines carries this record well out of the dire circumstance which led Dustwalker beyond the black and into less abrasive territories, to its general detriment. This effort reinitiates an energy less focused on a softer and variegated mix emphasising post-rock aesthetics, and the actively engaging rhythm section isn't overwhelmed in generally slow tempo and an unrealised attempt at a shoegaze domineered sense of atmosphere, as was Dustwalker's predicament. The ensconcing of clean vocals gives way to the growling of black metal, renewing such a stylistic basis which in many ways abolishes any doubts regarding the band's ability to write compelling material within the genre from which they draw much of their inspiration, their creativity being already well established from their debut onward.

A surprising sense of purpose and direction is obvious in this effort, and it easily carries the album above what immediately preceded it. As such, Carrion Skies offers a clear point of distinction leading off from the prior record. The drums no longer sound like the belting of a bucket, and the production lends them a satisfying density to drive the overall sound, drive being an operative word as the melodic construction of this track-list offers a return to the band's standard of quality in song writing, moving the music at a gripping pace. This isn't to forgo the expected atmospheric aspect, which is here interspersed between the segments promising a record which is less ambitious and more identifiably generic, yet also demonstrably more rewarding for listeners seeking a more abrasive and focused performance.

Fen have taken a linear approach in their latest album, no doubt, yet one which recalls how well the band can perform at their most volatile and direct. From open to close, Carrion Skies flows with clearly defined direction.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 01.12.2014 by R'Vannith enjoys music, he's hoping you do too.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 163 users
01.12.2014 - 18:27
Rating: 8
Diverge

Even though I don't have the same sentiments with this album, I have to agree with your concluding paragraph here. Perfect ensapsulation of what Fen was trying to do.
01.12.2014 - 18:39
Frodd
Account deleted
Other than this, I have only listened to their debut. I agree with the review otherwise. Good one!
01.12.2014 - 20:30
Rating: 9
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I vehemently disagree with your assessment of Dustwalker, I feel it's the best album they've written; exploration and experimentation done to perfection. 'Hands Of Dust' is a classic and their high water mark. But I agree with your review. Straight forward indeed, most of the "post" elements left out. Their are build up and climax approaches, in fact most of the songs use this formula, but for the most part this album is uninhibited, in your face, atmospheric black metal.

The production is an improvement as well as the clean singing. With every listen I like this more and more. Definitely a grower. I think fans of the band will initially be partial but over time will appreciate this release.

Thanks for the review R'...
----
rekt
02.12.2014 - 01:38
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Hmmm, you kinda make it sound like this one is approaching blackgaze territory, in which case I'd be hesitant to really check it out. I haven't listened to these guys since Epoch, but they never really failed for me on their atmosphere, maybe I should get back into them?
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
02.12.2014 - 05:19
Susan
Smeghead
Hmm. I am intrigued! I missed Dustwalker but enjoyed Epoch well enough. I shall give this one a shot.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
02.12.2014 - 15:11
Rating: 8
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Auntie Sahar on 02.12.2014 at 01:38

Hmmm, you kinda make it sound like this one is approaching blackgaze territory, in which case I'd be hesitant to really check it out. I haven't listened to these guys since Epoch, but they never really failed for me on their atmosphere, maybe I should get back into them?

Judging by this record I'd say it's well worth your time to look into them again, this one is a more direct style of atmospheric black metal.
06.12.2014 - 05:57
Rating: 7
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I personally think this is their worst one yet, I was really pining for more of those shoegaze elements, but that's just me. Well written review regardless.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
21.09.2016 - 22:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Susan on 02.12.2014 at 05:19

Hmm. I am intrigued! I missed Dustwalker but enjoyed Epoch well enough. I shall give this one a shot.

why not try all, theya ll are dufferent mussicaly but equally as enjoable
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 4920 | This month: 12