01. Between The Lines
02. 7 Years
03. Spiral Trip
04. Root Rock Pioneers
05. The Way You Turn
06. Keep On Climbing
07. Going Down
08. In My Kitchen

Welcome to the future, weary time-traveller from the past. Surely it's been a long and arduous journey for you, so why don't you lay back and relax and let us take care of the entertainment. We know you come from the golden age where monsters of heavy rock were born and prospered, and we've just the right thing that you'll find comfortably familiar and a sound to which you are well accustomed. We present you with Siena Root's newest album Pioneers.

You say you haven't heard of this Siena Root before? Well, most naturally, as you are a respected visitor from the end of the 60's, or possibly the beginning of the 70's, and they started out in the late 90's. By now the band are far from being newcomers in the music scene for this is already their fifth studio release which pays tribute to the sound of old. Even though over four decades have passed since your time, even though a lot of technological advances have been made, and even though a lot of new music genres have seen their rise and fall, we still look back at and bow down to your golden age of heavy rock.

For you were pioneers. You crafted the sounds, and it was good. Some of us weren't even born when history was made. Yet, we respect the greats and pay tribute to them. We call it root rock these days, you know. Forgive us if we haven't heard all the great bands from your time but you must understand we've got our own age to keep step with. However, we think we can recognise signature Deep Purple sounds in Pioneers, and some occasional heavy Black Sabbath riffs, and airy The Doors atmosphere, and maybe some Uriah Heep rocking. We're sure you'll find others, being from that age and all.

At least we think Siena Root have captured the essence of the age, for this album rocks and it rocks good despite some worrying changes in the line-up. Notably they've seen the departure of master musician K. G. West, who prior to the latest album used to steer the band with Eastern influences. We're sure you'd also love that psychedelic aspect of the band, our dear time-traveller. We're also somewhat disappointed to have to make do without Sanya's lovely vocals. Oh, she used to sing so good, she did! However, as you can hear, Jonas Åhlén is no let down either and is a very capable rock vocalist indeed. His voice's got some proper weight in it.

What, friend? You say it's time for you to go? Yes, we're nearing the end of our entertainment here. Pioneers is suitably short by modern standards and it's Siena Root's shortest, too. We can agree with you that the album lives up to the sound and spirit of the golden age of heavy rock. However, skilled musicians they may be, we cannot help but think that with this album the band have lost some of their characteristic traits and sounds. Oh, they know how to rock; you can hear that all right. It's just that they used to be about so much more than just rocking.

Well, it's time we parted company, dear time-traveller. When you go back, tell them we remember and treasure your old times. Even if we're no pioneers any more, we still know how to craft a good heavy rock album like Pioneers.

Written on 30.11.2014 by I shoot people.

Sometimes, I also write about it.

And one day I'm going to start a band. We're going to be playing pun-rock.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 35 users
02.12.2014 - 05:24
Susan
Smeghead
Love it!! Not my style but the review was so fun to read that I'll give the album a listen.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
02.12.2014 - 09:20
Dinruth

Thanks for pointing that band out! really like this album!

Hits total: 4095 | This month: 7